Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
funforfive
Mouseketeer

WiFi at POR

We are booked at POR for 3 nights and, unfortunately DH will have to do school work on line while we are there. I chose a preferred room, but am wondering if there are areas within the resort where wifi signals are better...or should I be looking at upgrading to a deluxe resort to have better Internet access?
funforfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
Rahjeir
Earning My Ears

Speaking in terms of WiFi in general, when you have a 1K+ resort giving open access to all it's going to be slow during any peak time. Personally, I would just use my cellphone as a hotspot if I really needed internet access.
Rahjeir is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

We stayed at POR in January and had no problems with the room wifi. (Oak Manor)
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Reports of the quality of wifi service vary greatly. Some have had no issues, others have had trouble. It all depends on how many people are using it at the same time. The level of resort has no bearing on the quality of the service.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
Reports of the quality of wifi service vary greatly. Some have had no issues, others have had trouble. It all depends on how many people are using it at the same time. The level of resort has no bearing on the quality of the service.

Like he said above, it depends on how many users are accessing it at once.
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Cinderumbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
momofkids
Mouseketeer

We staying in Parterre Place, second floor facing the courtyard. Used internet in the mornings and evenings. Had no problems at all. Certainly worked well enough to access a Moodle application or something similar. I don't know how well it would work if you had to upload long assignments.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
funforfive
Mouseketeer

Thanks all...I think he'll have a few small assignments to submit since he'll meet us there after an on site 4 day "class" at Gainesville. Guess we'll stay with our current plans.. 5 weeks and counting
funforfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #8
pamkat1820
Mouseketeer

I had no luck at all in PP but we were in the back facing the parking lot all the way on the right side closest to FQ. I guess it depends on the amount of ppl using at that given point.

Good luck

Me, DH, DD8, DS4

AKL May 2009, POR RR 2012, YC CL August 2013, August 2015???
pamkat1820 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
UsualNoise
Earning My Ears

Just completed a week at POR (Parterre Place) and the internet quality was variable. Evenings after 9:30 PM or so got pretty slow. Also, my work laptop was unable to acquire a dynamic IP address the entire time I was there. I don't know if it was due to how their routers are set up or due to restrictions on my laptop put in place by my company, but I had to use my phone to scan for the router's base address and then manually use a static IP on my laptop.

I don't know if anyone else has encountered this, but it's something to keep in mind just in case.
UsualNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #10
Patrickprincess
HAVE A MAGICAL DAY

internet at por

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualNoise View Post
Just completed a week at POR (Parterre Place) and the internet quality was variable. Evenings after 9:30 PM or so got pretty slow. Also, my work laptop was unable to acquire a dynamic IP address the entire time I was there. I don't know if it was due to how their routers are set up or due to restrictions on my laptop put in place by my company, but I had to use my phone to scan for the router's base address and then manually use a static IP on my laptop.

I don't know if anyone else has encountered this, but it's something to keep in mind just in case.
i only had trouble once durring my two night stay in september. I was on the third floor oak manor. I recall the time was about ten thirty pm.
2013 WDW Royal Guest @Port Orleans Riverside. 2012WDW @ Royal Guest Port Orleans Riverside Disney Cruise line The Fantasy. 2004 WDW @ Port Orleans French Quarter. 2002 WDW Port Orleans Riverside, Disney cruise line The Wonder.2007 Disneyland@ The Disneyland Hotel. 2006 Disneyland @ The Paradise Hotel. 2000 Disneyland @ The Disneyland Hotel. 1999 1998,1996 Disneyland off sight hotels.
A proud Disney Stockholder
A Proud Seahawk Fan 2014 Super bowl Champions
A Seattle Mariner fan
Patrickprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #11
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

We were there in January and I had to use our laptop for work and had no issues. You are not going to get blazing speed but it was fast enough for me to VPN into my work network to get my work done. We did not have any issues connecting to their wireless network.

DW DH DD(10) DD(5)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(4), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: