Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
zippingalong
Mouseketeer

Teen dies on a winter break cruise...

A Saratoga Springs teen died the night before returning home from a winter break cruise this week. I'm not posting the cruise line as it doesn't really matter.

The teen (17) was sharing an inside room across the hall from his parents verandah with his 14 year old brother.

The 14 year old woke up his parents because his brother was making strange noises and he was unable to wake him up. It appears the teen vomited and aspirated.

The medical crew worked on the boy but he died before he could be taken off the ship for emergency care on land.
zippingalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippingalong View Post
A Saratoga Springs teen died the night before returning home from a winter break cruise this week. I'm not posting the cruise line as it doesn't really matter.

The teen (17) was sharing an inside room across the hall from his parents verandah with his 14 year old brother.

The 14 year old woke up his parents because his brother was making strange noises and he was unable to wake him up. It appears the teen vomited and aspirated.

The medical crew worked on the boy but he died before he could be taken off the ship for emergency care on land.
Oh my. That is so sad. How horrible for the family.

(Me and DH), (DD12), (DS11), (DS7),(DD7) &
wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Link to the Article...

Speechless...
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

How terribly sad.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippingalong View Post

I didn't see any articles that mentioned the cruise line at all....nor the cause of death.
I did see one article that alluded to suicide.

What a shame.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
Jareds_mommy
DIS Veteran

here is does
http://www.cruiselawnews.com/tags/seth-younes/

Jareds_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
joelnkelly
Mouseketeer

Horrible..horrible news..as a parent I just couldnt imagine the pain they are going through.
joelnkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
Mom323
Founding member of FOG

This is so very sad. I can't imagine what the family is going through.

A family member posted on cruisecritic.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...0&postcount=16

Cruise critic has removed the thread.

Last edited by Mom323; 02-28-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Mom323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom323 View Post
This is so very sad. I can't imagine what the family is going through.

A family member posted on cruisecritic.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...0&postcount=16

That IS a shame. Very sad, no matter where it happens, or when.

But can I ask people to PLEASE not turn this into a "CRUISE LINE DEBATE"?

Please?

Teens and young adults make bad decisions all the time.....it has nothing to do with cruising.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post

Please?

Teens and young adults make bad decisions all the time.....it has nothing to do with cruising.
Not necessarily. If you read the article above, if it turns out that it was alcohol poisoning, it has everything to do with cruising, and the atmosphere of booze, booze, booze frequently associated with it.

But I do think it could happen on any cruiseline. No one is totally immune to it.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Please?

Its not a line issue, it can happen anywhere afloat and ashore...........is just as sad.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #12
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I didn't see any articles that mentioned the cruise line at all....nor the cause of death.

What a shame.
Too many speculations as to cause of death - My guess is there's an investigation going on. I just hope is not due to intoxication or anything like it.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #13
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:

What a shame.

Carnival Mericale (spl?)

They are doing a autopsy in New york.the reports said he 18 and was drinking a good bit.

In any case our prayers to the family!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #14
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Another article.

This morning the Carnival Miracle returned to New York with the body of an 18 year old high school student aboard.
The young man, scheduled to graduate from Sarasota Springs High School this spring, reportedly died of alcohol poisoning last night. He has been described as a "polite young man"*in a local newspaper*and as a "great, gentle kid" by extended family members on an on line cruise community website Cruise Critic.
18 year old kids are not suppose to die on cruises or during school breaks.
There will be debate where the alcohol came from and who is responsible for the young man's death.
One thing is certain. There's way too much emphasis on booze in the Carnival cruise experience. It's too easy for teenagers to gain access to alcohol on cruise ships. Its particularly easy when bartenders, working for tips, serve too many drinks without any regard to where the drinks eventually end up. *
In 1994, the LA Times published an article "Boy's Death Raises Issues of Drinking On Cruises." A 14 year old boy*aboard Royal Caribbean's Majesty of the Seas consumed so much rum and tequila that he literally drank himself to death. The cruise line corporate communications manager at the time responded to the minor's death cavalierly saying "the best advice that you can give is that a cruise is a resort vacation. It's not a baby-sitting service."
So should parents watch over their teenagers like they zealously do at home? *That's not what the cruise lines like Carnival tell you to do. *
If you click on the "Cruise Booze" category to the left you'll see dozens of articles about excessive alcohol sales on cruises. The more booze on cruises, the greater the risk of crimes and death. As a parent of an 18 year-old-about-to-graduate, I find it hard to even think for a second of going on a cruise and returning without my son alive.*
Many years ago, my wife and I took a vacation to Disney World with our two boys. While my wife was watching our kids in the pool, I ordered a beer for myself and a wine for my wife. *The Disney bartender said he could sell only one drink per adult. *So I had to ask my wife to come buy her own drink. *I thought what a pain this was, but it was a responsible policy designed to keep alcohol away from underage drinkers.
There is nothing remotely resembling such a policy on cruise ships. Pushing alcohol is the business model of the cruise industry.
If this death becomes a story covered by the major press, you will see attacks on the parents for not supervising their child. *But most parents have no idea just how out-of-control cruise ships like Carnival are. Carnival earns many hundreds of millions of dollars aggressively pushing the booze. There are few security guards, There are no real safeguards like I experienced at the Magic Kingdom. *
Most parents spend their lives watching their kids like a hawk, but once on a cruise they get caught up in the fantasy environment marketed and sold by the "'fun ships." *They let their guard down. The result is tragedies like this while the cruise line makes millions of dollars selling booze. * *
February 27 2013 Update: Here's the statement from Carnival we received this morning:
"We can confirm that an 18-year-old male guest passed away in his cabin at approximately 3 a.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 26 during an eight-day voyage of the Carnival Miracle which ended later that morning in New York. The cause of death has not been determined. With regard to speculation that he may have died from alcohol poisoning, we can confirm that, based on the preliminary investigation, there is no indication he was served any alcohol by shipboard personnel. Following his death, the cruise line contacted the FBI as per standard practice in this type of occurrence. FBI representatives boarded the ship on Tuesday morning to conduct an investigation. No foul play is suspected. We extend our deepest sympathies to young man's family and loved ones during this very difficult time." *
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #15
Smittycait
Earning My Ears

That's not far from where I live at all and we didn't hear about it locally. So sad!
Smittycait is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: