Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
momofEAP
Earning My Ears

Free Dining ?'s

I am really new to this so I am sorry if this has been asked and answered. What is the free dining that I keep reading about. We will be at Disney in Sept. and it seems to be the time that everyone is saying they have this. Is the DP and the free dining the same? What are the requirements? If they are the same and we have already booked the DP then will we get a refund?

I am so excited and so confused!!!
momofEAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

Free dining is a special promotion that is offered generally during slower times of the year (September is usually included). The catch is that you pay full rack rate for your hotel room. Depending on the size of your family/group and how you typically eat, it may or may not end up saving you $$.

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)

Last edited by wdwrich; 02-27-2013 at 11:02 AM.
wdwrich is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
PictureJumpr
At Least 'til it Rains

Free dining, as the PP outlined, is just as it says - the Dining Plans (DP) that would normally be paid for are included free when you book a minimum number of ticket days and pay full price for the room.

And yes, if it is offered for your travel dates you can rebook your package with the discount and receive a refund/credit of the cost.

In recent offerings, it has been the QSDP (Quick-Service Dining Plan) for value level resorts, and the "regular" DDP (Disney Dining Plan) for all other resorts. If you are staying at a value resort and the package is offered, you can pay the difference and upgrade your plan if you wish to do so.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
TheDisney411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureJumpr
Free dining, as the PP outlined, is just as it says - the Dining Plans (DP) that would normally be paid for are included free when you book a minimum number of ticket days and pay full price for the room.

And yes, if it is offered for your travel dates you can rebook your package with the discount and receive a refund/credit of the cost.

In recent offerings, it has been the QSDP (Quick-Service Dining Plan) for value level resorts, and the "regular" DDP (Disney Dining Plan) for all other resorts. If you are staying at a value resort and the package is offered, you can pay the difference and upgrade your plan if you wish to do so.
You do NOT have to cancel and rebook to take advantage of a free dining discount. If you have a room only reservation you would have to cancel that room and book under a Magic Your Way Package that includes room, tickets and dining.
TheDisney411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
TheDisney411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofEAP
I am really new to this so I am sorry if this has been asked and answered. What is the free dining that I keep reading about. We will be at Disney in Sept. and it seems to be the time that everyone is saying they have this. Is the DP and the free dining the same? What are the requirements? If they are the same and we have already booked the DP then will we get a refund?

I am so excited and so confused!!!
OP, to take advantage of a free dining discount you have to be booked at a Disney owned resort and booked under a Magic Your Way package that includes room, tickets and dining. FD promos have a 3 night minimum and 14 day maximum booking requirement. If you are already have a package booked for September, you can simply call Disney Guest Relations when the August/September FD codes are released in a few weeks and have them add the code to your existing reservation and they will credit you the difference. You do NOT have to rebook. Some room categories may be blacked out and some resorts may have limited availability, do have a back up room category or resort if you really want the FD discount. Even if you completely changed dates and resorts you still don't have to rebook. They will make the changes and your reservation number will stay the same. If you are staying at a Value resort you can pay the difference to upgrade from the quick service to the regular DDP. If you are staying at a value or moderate resort, a free ding discount is most likely going to save you more money than a room discount. A room discount might save you more at a deluxe resort, but the room discount needs to be 35% or higher.
TheDisney411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
momofEAP
Earning My Ears

Well if everything ends up being as you said there isn't any reason to think about this any more. We are only staying at a moderate resort for 2 nights. We only have 6 night in the area and are trying to squeeze in as much as possible!
momofEAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

2 nights won't get you free dining, unless you add another night.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: