Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
mklovesdisney
Earning My Ears

Poly or Wilderness Lodge In November

I have a dilemma.. I booked a bounceback for 35% off the Poly late November. Quick background is we are big Poly people an our daughter loves the beach and pool at the Poly, especially that we can watch her in the pool righ in front of us. We just stayed there last month and had a garden ground floor room. We loved it! The problem I am having is all the reviews for the Wilderness Lodge, especially at Christmas. They all are so positive. If we stayed there we would love a ground floor room courtyard view. Would we regret staying there if we are diehard Poly fans or would the Lodge live up-to the reviews especially at Christmas time? So confused. I guess I am just looking for opinions from anyone that stayed at both. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
mklovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:02 PM   #2
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

You could always visit the resort if you are concerned about missing the Poly.

Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2013, 02:31 AM   #3
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

go try WL - it is cheaper and you might like it.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at both and while the Poly is our favorite resort, we do love the WL (especially at Christmas time). I don't think you would be disappointed in the WL as it's a beautiful resort and is convenient to MK (as well as to the CR/monorail).

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Tropics
Mouseketeer

We were also just at the Poly last month and will be back at the beginning of December this year because we loved it so much. One thing to keep in mind is that the Poly will be renovated though out this year so by the time you go back at the end of November the rooms at the Poly will be freshly renovated.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
mklovesdisney
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
We were also just at the Poly last month and will be back at the beginning of December this year because we loved it so much. One thing to keep in mind is that the Poly will be renovated though out this year so by the time you go back at the end of November the rooms at the Poly will be freshly renovated.
Thank you. That is exactly what my husband keeps saying. It would be nice to see them after they are freshly done. I am thinking maybe stick with the Poly this time while I have the 35% off since the Poly does not offer that much of a discount very often. Seems when they offer room discounts they knock Poly's down to 20% sometimes. .....Then while we are out there, check out Wilderness Lodge for our next stay.

Thanks again everyone for you imput
mklovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Besides WL being a great resort of its own, with its boats to MK, great theming, varied dining options, and being less expensive, WL has another thing Poly doesn't have that could be useful for late November: hot tubs. Poly has no hut tub; WL has 2, one that is truly hot and another that is warmer than pool water but not really hot. Besides that, I think WL has a more effective pool heating system (for the main part of the pool) than the Poly. I'm not sure why this is, but water in the Poly pool has always felt chillier to me than the WL pool.

Last edited by grimley1968; 02-25-2013 at 01:24 PM.
grimley1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

We have stayed at both but the Poly has outpriced itself a few years ago for us..... Discounts too low and room rates too high. We've moved on ...... And the WL has become our most favorite resort , you will not regret it!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Poly is a nicer resort by far than the Wilderness Lodge. That's why it's so much more expensive. In every poll the poly wins for favorite resort in all of Disney year after year. It's simply the best place to stay, basically no compromises when staying there.
blackacex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

I am watching this thread closely!

My first ever WDW trip in December included 9 days at the Poly. I was underwhelmed.

I have been excited about trying WL in December of this year. I've narrowed it down to Contemporary or WL, with WL edging out the CR.

Keep the info flowing Poly and WL fans!!

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Happyjen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #11
elaw
DIS Veteran

As nice as the Poly is, it lacks that Christmas vibe when compared to WL.

WL

WLV

The Poly
Old 02-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
MissionMouse
DIS Veteran

PR and WL are historically the most popular deluxe resorts during the time period you are going (Christmas Season). What is important is to understand what you like and want from a vacation, since you have no reference to all of the people writing these reviews. Reviews are vague and contain slants that you are not aware of to be any real value; unless there is an issue, like the pool is closed. We have stayed at both during the Christmas season (club level) and there is a real possibility you will miss the PR. We always found it a lot easier to get back to the PR after MVMCP, then WL.

Disney World - Magic Kingdom Entrance - Walk Around The World Brick Owner
Boardwalk Inn Photos
Typhoon Lagoon Photos
Wishes-Fireworks from PR & MK Photo Album - 30 Photos
Sea World and Marriott Rennaissance SW - Photo Album - 40+ Photos
Disney World Park and Deluxe Resort Photographs
MissionMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyjen27
I am watching this thread closely!

My first ever WDW trip in December included 9 days at the Poly. I was underwhelmed.

I have been excited about trying WL in December of this year. I've narrowed it down to Contemporary or WL, with WL edging out the CR.

Keep the info flowing Poly and WL fans!!
If you were underwhelmed by the poly I don't know if disney has anything to offer you that you will be impressed with.
blackacex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #14
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacex2 View Post
If you were underwhelmed by the poly I don't know if disney has anything to offer you that you will be impressed with.
I disagree. We stayed at the Poly a number of years ago and it did not appeal to us. A few years ago we gave it another try and again, we did not like it at all.
The CMs were indifferent, the rooms are dark and gloomy, the Volcano pool is too small for the resort's size, the monorail is always crowded with people coming and going for the meals.
On the other hand, we love other WDW resorts, especially, CSR, BWV, BC, and AKV.

Last edited by Robbi; 02-26-2013 at 05:02 PM. Reason: sp
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: