DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
denneg
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: http://www.****************/
Posts: 610

Trying to choose a home resort

Hi all -

I am contemplating two different contracts right now and would like to make an offer on one soon. I'm stuck - one is fairly loaded, at SSR and at a good price. The second is at BWV, still has 2012 points intact, and is a good price. My delimma is this: We love the BWV, and it would be our choice to stay there every time. But, we are a small family, only in need of a one bedroom, and we plan to travel in September primarily - so the 11 month window may not be as much of a factor since we are highly flexible. So do we go with the SSR with the longer contract and hope to be able to book at BWV, or do we take the shorter contract to allow us the 11 month window?

Just wondering what others would do! Thanks!
denneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
andy117
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by denneg View Post
Hi all -

I am contemplating two different contracts right now and would like to make an offer on one soon. I'm stuck - one is fairly loaded, at SSR and at a good price. The second is at BWV, still has 2012 points intact, and is a good price. My delimma is this: We love the BWV, and it would be our choice to stay there every time. But, we are a small family, only in need of a one bedroom, and we plan to travel in September primarily - so the 11 month window may not be as much of a factor since we are highly flexible. So do we go with the SSR with the longer contract and hope to be able to book at BWV, or do we take the shorter contract to allow us the 11 month window?

Just wondering what others would do! Thanks!
Would it bother you stay at other resorts if you can't get BWV when you want it?
andy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
dbs1228
DIS Veteran
 
dbs1228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 2,145

I personally would buy where I wanted to stay. We traveled to WDW every Feb for 17 years because of DD's and school schedule. We now have 2 in college, the third going in the fall and this past NYE we took our yearly trip in Dec/Jan instead of Feb. DH and I realize if we want DD's to come we will have to work around their schedules which in the next 4 years will change. I also know DH and I want to go by ourselves on occasions and want to try all different times of the year. We own at BLT and that is where we want to be! We also bought SSR for the THV's but the older DD's get those accommodations do not work as well for us since DD's do not like the bunk beds. We currently are listing one of our SSR contracts and looking to buy at BWV for the location!

Good luck
__________________
1995 - 2010 Ft Wilderness Cabins every year! OKW, BLT 2010 & 2011 AKV 2011 THV 2012




dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 24,569
DISboards Moderator

Right now, it isn't a problem to get a 1 bedroom at BWV for a September stay booking at 7 months. Could be a problem if you are going towards the end of September when the Food & Wine Festival begins, though. So at least for now, if you are willing to book right at 7 months, SSR will work for you.

Here are the risks to buying SSR that I see:

As DVC continues to expand, competition for rooms at the smaller WDW resorts will increase. It will become more difficult to get in at 7 months.

Standard view and Boardwalk view rooms are often booked up before the 7 month window opens. That said, it is not unusual for someone to report success at getting those rooms at 7 months for a September stay.

The largest risk is your own travel plans. Most people's travel patterns change over the years. If you want to travel between the tail end of September through the first week of January, the chances of getting into the BWV at 7 months are significantly less than getting in during September. It is very rare to get standard or Boardwalk views for those times of the year at 7 months. If you would not be happy to stay at SSR should your travel pattern change, buy where you want to be. September and mid January to mid-February are the only times that booking at 7 months is very easy. The others are hit or miss

Good luck!
__________________
Best Wishes -



BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 48,238

Quote:
Originally Posted by denneg View Post
Hi all -

I am contemplating two different contracts right now and would like to make an offer on one soon. I'm stuck - one is fairly loaded, at SSR and at a good price. The second is at BWV, still has 2012 points intact, and is a good price. My delimma is this: We love the BWV, and it would be our choice to stay there every time. But, we are a small family, only in need of a one bedroom, and we plan to travel in September primarily - so the 11 month window may not be as much of a factor since we are highly flexible. So do we go with the SSR with the longer contract and hope to be able to book at BWV, or do we take the shorter contract to allow us the 11 month window?

Just wondering what others would do! Thanks!
Even in September standard or boardwalk view might be difficult to get.
__________________
DebbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
DizBub
Totally Addicted
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, IL
Posts: 2,083

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Even in September standard or boardwalk view might be difficult to get.
This is true. My 7 month window just came up on the 21st (going in Sept) and was able to get a 2br garden/pool view but not boardwalk view or standard. My kids did get a 1br standard that day though...........you never know.
DizBub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
denneg
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: http://www.****************/
Posts: 610

Our preference would be BWV, but it wouldn't ruin our vacation to stay elsewhere. However, if people think it will consistently be a problem to book there, we might just need to buy that contract! We were at AKL and BCV thus past trip and liked both, and we have stayed at SSR and OKW in the past and been fine. We prefer the location and the atmosphere of the BWV, so maybe we should go there...such a tough call. But this is why I asked, everyone here knows how to help figure this out!
denneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
DanenRox
Disney Junkies
 
DanenRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Warren, Rhode Island
Posts: 1,306

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I think you should buy at BWV. The standard room points are impossible to beat. While September may be your traveling month now, it's likely that will change over time...at least it has for us. With that said, I would take your traveling month out of the equation. If you want to stay at the Boardwalk primarily, then buy at the Boardwalk.
DanenRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,747

You have two choices. Buy SSR, save some money and hope to get BWV or spend a little more and get what you want, when you want it.

You have to ask yourself, why do so many owners have contracts at more than one resort? The answer is because that don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a contract and vacation hoping for availability.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
denneg
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: http://www.****************/
Posts: 610

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz
You have two choices. Buy SSR, save some money and hope to get BWV or spend a little more and get what you want, when you want it.

You have to ask yourself, why do so many owners have contracts at more than one resort? The answer is because that don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a contract and vacation hoping for availability.

Bill
That's exactly the discussion we just had- we could buy the SSR contract now, and when we feel like its time to add more points, buy a smaller, 100-150 point contract at BWV. At this point, we are completely flexible and may not even be able to book at 11 months out due to my husbands commitments, so right now it probably doesn't make sense to book just based on the 11 month window. And my husband, who was adamant that we always stay at the Boardwalk, just realized SSR is on a golf course, so he could be swayed to stay there!

Thanks so much for all the advice, we were able to have a much better discussion tonight based on all your feedback. I'll call the realtor in the morning, make sure both are still options, and make a final decision.
denneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
DizBub
Totally Addicted
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, IL
Posts: 2,083

Quote:
Originally Posted by denneg View Post

Thanks so much for all the advice, we were able to have a much better discussion tonight based on all your feedback. I'll call the realtor in the morning, make sure both are still options, and make a final decision.
Cool!! Be sure to come back and let us know what you decide to do. We love happy endings!!
DizBub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #12
DizBub
Totally Addicted
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, IL
Posts: 2,083

Quote:
Originally Posted by denneg View Post
Hi all -

I am contemplating two different contracts right now and would like to make an offer on one soon. I'm stuck - one is fairly loaded, at SSR and at a good price. The second is at BWV, still has 2012 points intact, and is a good price. My delimma is this: We love the BWV, and it would be our choice to stay there every time. But, we are a small family, only in need of a one bedroom, and we plan to travel in September primarily - so the 11 month window may not be as much of a factor since we are highly flexible. So do we go with the SSR with the longer contract and hope to be able to book at BWV, or do we take the shorter contract to allow us the 11 month window?

Just wondering what others would do! Thanks!
SSR does have a longer life and cheaper MFs. BWV standard views have incredible (low) point requirements and highest MFs on property. If you can plan 11 months out buy where you want to stay. Both are great choices.
DizBub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #13
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,930

Quote:
Originally Posted by denneg View Post
Hi all -

I am contemplating two different contracts right now and would like to make an offer on one soon. I'm stuck - one is fairly loaded, at SSR and at a good price. The second is at BWV, still has 2012 points intact, and is a good price. My delimma is this: We love the BWV, and it would be our choice to stay there every time. But, we are a small family, only in need of a one bedroom, and we plan to travel in September primarily - so the 11 month window may not be as much of a factor since we are highly flexible. So do we go with the SSR with the longer contract and hope to be able to book at BWV, or do we take the shorter contract to allow us the 11 month window?

Just wondering what others would do! Thanks!
If the view matters to you, I'd do BWV, if not SSR is likely the better choice. If you buy BWV and stay mostly in standard view, you'll need less points or be able to stretch them further.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #14
Jobelly
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Newcastle, uk
Posts: 66

I'm busy trying to decide between BCV and SS, and despite loving BCV I think we are heading towards SS because of the extra points we can get and the longer contract length as well as just looking a nice resort.
I was wondering though if you have multiple points at different resorts presumably at 11 months you can only book up to your points limit for that resort and not up to your points for all the resorts. ie if I had 300 at SS and 100 at BCV at 11 months out I could only book at BCV 100 points of vacation and not 400 which would be my total?
Jobelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #15
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobelly View Post
I'm busy trying to decide between BCV and SS, and despite loving BCV I think we are heading towards SS because of the extra points we can get and the longer contract length as well as just looking a nice resort.
I was wondering though if you have multiple points at different resorts presumably at 11 months you can only book up to your points limit for that resort and not up to your points for all the resorts. ie if I had 300 at SS and 100 at BCV at 11 months out I could only book at BCV 100 points of vacation and not 400 which would be my total?
You are correct, you can only use home resort points to book at 11 months, you can not combine SSR and BCV to stay at BCV.

There are many who bought SSR with little intention of staying there, they expect to use there points to book at 7 months at the more popular, expensive resorts. There are only so many rooms, the best will be taken by people who own there, the rest will be up for grabs at 7 months by everyone else. As more people buy into the program, the competition will only get tougher.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.