Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
KyWildcatGirl01
Mouseketeer

HELP! We don't have the dining plan!

Hello! This is the first time we have not done the dining plan. We are staying at Shades of Green and since DS is 2 we figured we would have to pay out of pocket for him anyways. We are looking for good/reasonable suggestions for meals. We plan to eat Breakfast either at SOG or in our room.
So far we have:
Sci-Fi for Lunch
The Plaza for dinner
Storybook Princess For Dinner

Are these good choices for the money or should I change?

KyWildcatGirl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
kimnvbva
Mouseketeer

I've never done WDW without the dining plan so I can't help you too much. But I thought SOG had their own type of dining plan? They have a couple of restaurants on site so you might be able to eat a couple meals there. How about crystal palace? Maybe you could do a lunch? I think your DS would love the character interaction! It would be cheaper than dinner! Even if you don't have a dining plan, make sure you still have some ressies planned! Have a great trip!

September 2009 Caribbean Beach Resort
December 2010 Wilderness Lodge
August 2011 Port Orleans Riverside/Disney Dream
November 2012 Art of Animation Resort
June 2013 Coronado Springs
kimnvbva is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

We are the opposite, we have never done the dining plan and I wouldn't ever do it unless it was free. It seems expensive compared to what we spend our of pocket and I don't know why people want to count points and worry about all that We also aren't the type that order the most expensive thing on the menu though.

Some tips if you are on a budget-
-Do the last lunch seating for a late lunch early dinner but with the cheaper prices.
-Bring your own snacks.
-We only do one sit down meal per day and usually bring our own snacks we often eat breakfast in our room because we don't like to waste park time (or wake up extra early). We do treat ourselves to Boma breakfast at least once or twice and a buffet can stuff us so full we usually don't eat all that much the rest of the day.
-Stick with water
- Share desserts (or even a meal)

Some of our favorite places are Boma breakfast, Les Chefs de France lunch, Brown Derby lunch (cobb salad yum!) and Sunshine Seasons.

Have fun planning. I think you will enjoy just deciding to eat wherever you want.

Disneyland at the Holidays, here we come!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
GeorgiaHoo
DIS Veteran

Plaza is a great choice - very reasonably priced. Never done Sci-Fi. Via Napoli and Rose and Crown are decent value for out of pocket, as is Wolfgang Puck in DTD.
GeorgiaHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
bostonminnie
Mouseketeer

We just got back from our stay at SOG and found ourselves at Captain Cook's (Polynesian quick service) quite a bit. We would use the walkway from SOG to Poly almost daily, and found their prices to be reasonable (for Disney) This was our first trip without the dining plan too.

Out of the restaurants you've listed, we've only eaten at Sci Fi which we have found to be reasonable and fun.

bostonminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
KarBear
DIS Veteran

This will be our first trip not on the dining plan too! But my daughter turned 10 so we would be paying full price of the dining plan for her and she doesn't eat anything, by that I mean she'll order pasta with butter and water. I also had been on free dining before so it didn't matter as much but now that we are going and no free dining, well I didn't want to pay for it and not use it.
That being said, I feel your pain!

I think SciFi it great and not to pricey out of pocket. I would also recommend Yak and Yeti at AK bc I don't remember it being to pricey for a sit down and we really liked it there.
Another suggestion don't pay oop for Chef Mickeys - in my opinion only- I don't think the food it worth the price.
You can find the characters elsewhere for the price.

Have a great trip regardless of where you eat!

Have a Magical Day!
KarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
KyWildcatGirl01
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonminnie View Post
We just got back from our stay at SOG and found ourselves at Captain Cook's (Polynesian quick service) quite a bit. We would use the walkway from SOG to Poly almost daily, and found their prices to be reasonable (for Disney) This was our first trip without the dining plan too.

Out of the restaurants you've listed, we've only eaten at Sci Fi which we have found to be reasonable and fun.
Awesome! Do you have any pics to share?! I am so excited to go and wondered about making an ADR for a place at the Poly is it a really easy to walk to?!

KyWildcatGirl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
jmcghee2024
DIS Veteran

I think your choices are good for paying OOP. Other choices that might work would be Kona and Beaches & Cream.
jmcghee2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #9
RHMH
When I retire, I want to get a real job and work for Disney

Location: Born In (Setagaya, Tokyo) Now Living In Fort Worth, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWildcatGirl01 View Post
Hello! This is the first time we have not done the dining plan. We are staying at Shades of Green and since DS is 2 we figured we would have to pay out of pocket for him anyways. We are looking for good/reasonable suggestions for meals. We plan to eat Breakfast either at SOG or in our room.
So far we have:
Sci-Fi for Lunch
The Plaza for dinner

Have you thought about Mickeys Backyard BBQ. Wilderness Camp Grounds. Great Food and Lot's and Lot's of entertainment.

Link to RHMH - July 2014 Disneyland Trip Report Thread -- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3302724

DD 15 ME 56 Issac 24
WDW 2002, WDW 2003, Tokyo Disney 2003, WDW 2004, Paris Disney 2004, WDW 2005, WDW 2006, WDW 2007, WDW 2008, WDW 2009, WDW 2010, WDW 2011, WDW 2012, WDW 2013
DLR 2014
RHMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #10
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWildcatGirl01
So far we have:
Sci-Fi for Lunch
The Plaza for dinner

Don't worry. You're better off without the plan
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #11
Donnainnj
Loves having an AP
Has lost about 4 toppers

Some of our favorite restaurants when we are off the plan, Lunch at Kona in the Poly, Lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern (MK), lunch at Beirgarten (Epcot Germany), Wolfgang Puck Express (DTD Marketplace) and this last trip tried and really enjoyed Raglan Road. (DTD)
Donna

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: