Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 01:59 AM   #1
southlake
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 215

3 year old - Small World Nursery or Oceaneer's Club?

If you had a 3 yr old onboard, did they prefer the Small World Nursery or the Oceaneer's club?
__________________
Disneyland: May '12, Oct '12, Nov '12, Oct '13, Nov '13
Disney Cruise: Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, May '13
Disney Aulani: Aug '13
Upcoming: Disney Cruise to the Western Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, May '14
southlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
Mizzcoreta
Earning My Ears
 
Mizzcoreta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 51

I've been wondering the same thing, I have a 3yo who will be 4 in May but he also has a 2 yo brother so I don't know if they will get upset being separated. To me it looks like the club would be better suited for the 3 yo though. Mine is very excited to do the Ratatouille cooking school, he loves to help mix stuff up whenever I'm baking.
__________________
Mizzcoreta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
annabug
Mouseketeer
 
annabug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 493

Hi there! My son was 3 on our first cruise on the disney dream last summer. He was fully potty trained at that time so he was able to go to the oceaneer club, and use the pools. I did not even look into the Nursery for him. I tried to view the nursery while on board just to see if he would like it, but the CM would not allow that because I did not have a child registered. I was actually glad that she turned me away. It validated has secure the nursery is. And her priority was protecting the little ones!!

As for the club, my boy has an older sister, she was 7 at the time. So that eased his entering the club. But for him, he didnt love it. We were called on multiple occasions to pick him up. Which was fine with us! We wanted him back anyway! My daughter loved the club. Which surprised us because she is quite shy and reserved.

We will be going again next May, Hoping he likes the club a little more!

Let me know if you have further questions!
annabug
__________________

(me) (DH) (DD) (DS)
annabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
Chee Chick
DIS Veteran
 
Chee Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 682

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabug
Hi there! My son was 3 on our first cruise on the disney dream last summer. He was fully potty trained at that time so he was able to go to the oceaneer club, and use the pools. I did not even look into the Nursery for him. I tried to view the nursery while on board just to see if he would like it, but the CM would not allow that because I did not have a child registered. I was actually glad that she turned me away. It validated has secure the nursery is. And her priority was protecting the little ones!!

As for the club, my boy has an older sister, she was 7 at the time. So that eased his entering the club. But for him, he didnt love it. We were called on multiple occasions to pick him up. Which was fine with us! We wanted him back anyway! My daughter loved the club. Which surprised us because she is quite shy and reserved.

We will be going again next May, Hoping he likes the club a little more!

Let me know if you have further questions!
annabug
I had a very similar experience with my kids. My shy 7 year old DS loved the Club and especially the lab. My DD had just turned 3 and was newly potty trained. She enjoyed the club only during the Open Houses when DH and I could go in there with her. She cried and screamed every time we tried to leave her otherwise. We were very surprised. I think it was too overwhelming for her even with her big brother there. I wished I would have tried the nursery with her.

The big mistake I made with DD pre-cruise when talking about the kids clubs was not preparing her to be left alone without us. I didn't think it was going to be an issue with her. She is normally very outgoing and energetic.

We are trying again next May. She will be almost 5. I'm hoping for a better experience with the clubs.
__________________
DH, Me, DS(9), DD(4)
Summer 1981, July 1988, Dec 1993, Oct 1994, Aug 1996 - WDW offsite
Sept 2008 - BC; April 2009 - WL; Nov 2012 - DCL Magic; June 2014 - POR/DCL Fantasy
Chee Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
deanimal
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 620

We just got back from cruising with a 2 year 11 month old and a just turned 4 year old. We were able to get DS registered in the Club since he's fully potty trained and we knew he'd want to be with his big sister. He did fine for an hour or two at a time, but I felt that the club was really better suited to school aged kids. If it was just him I think we would've stayed with the nursery. The CM led activities were great, but the actual space consisted mainly of screens and video games, and since my kids can't read or use a mouse yet they couldn't do much on their own. We did stop by the nursery for a look and it seemed much more toddler friendly with scooters, toy trucks, a play kitchen, dolls and strollers, blocks, etc. The club/lab had none of those things. Even my DD4 would have preferred to play in there since it was more like her preschool play area. We've decided to wait until DS starts kindergarten to take our next Disney cruise since the club is really better suited to school age kids. Still, the CMs really made an effort to engage the little ones, so we made it work for us.
deanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
E-P-C-O-T
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 750

Every child is different, DD3 loved the kids club. First thing we did when we boarded the Dream was go to the kids club during the openhouse to get her familiarized with the different areas and show her where the bathrooms where located. A CM approached us as we walked in and introduced herself to DD and walked around showing her the different rooms and she even helped her play one of the games in the computer. I think this helped a lot. When we first dropped her up, she walked right up to the desk and told the CM she was ready to play and knew where to go.

DD ended up spending at least 3 hours a day at the club and we would have to bribe her in order to get her to leave They played games, dress up, sang songs and even met the characters. On our last night when I went to pick her up she was having an one on one with Tinkerbell She had a blast!!
__________________
My is 5yrs old. She is very lucky little girl who Mickey as much as mommy.

May09 CSR /AKV/BWV Sep09 VWL Jan10 POP/AKV APR10 POP Jun10 AKL/BWV Sep10 BCV Jan11 POP/BWV May11 BCV/BWV Jun/Jul11 SWAN/SSR Sep11 AKV/BWV/BCV Jan12 POP/BCV Feb 12 SSR May12 POP/AKV/BCV Sep12 2012 AKV/BCV/Disney Dream Dec12 Reunion Resort/WL May/Jun13 AKV/BCV/Reunion Resort/BLT Oct13 AKL Dec/Jan14 BCV/AOA/AKV Jan BCV

Currently planning many other trips, but, Mommy is running low on DVC points
E-P-C-O-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran
 
AZMermaid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,119

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanimal View Post
We just got back from cruising with a 2 year 11 month old and a just turned 4 year old. We were able to get DS registered in the Club since he's fully potty trained and we knew he'd want to be with his big sister. He did fine for an hour or two at a time, but I felt that the club was really better suited to school aged kids. If it was just him I think we would've stayed with the nursery. The CM led activities were great, but the actual space consisted mainly of screens and video games, and since my kids can't read or use a mouse yet they couldn't do much on their own. We did stop by the nursery for a look and it seemed much more toddler friendly with scooters, toy trucks, a play kitchen, dolls and strollers, blocks, etc. The club/lab had none of those things. Even my DD4 would have preferred to play in there since it was more like her preschool play area. .
This is really nice to hear. I have heard so many accounts of 2 year olds being bored to death I was picturing only stacking blocks and soft books in there! My kids will be 17 and 34 months when we travel in July and I would like to keep them together. My older one though is almost "fully" potty trained right now (just working on the pulling up part) and is ALL boy! I am glad to read there is stuff for that age to do. And my all boy boy, loves to push strollers around (usually full speed and full of trucks- but will tone it down when directed) so if there are baby strollers in there, he will be in heaven!
__________________


AZMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran
 
DisMom1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlake
If you had a 3 yr old onboard, did they prefer the Small World Nursery or the Oceaneer's club?
I had a DS 3 years 4 mos in the nursery. The kids club was a lot of fun during open house- but too much independence required for my guy to be left on his own there. He was not really ready to self advocate. Like a PP said- the age range is big if you consider there are school age and pre k kids mixed. Plus the space was so big. Though the nursery may have been young for him - I had peace of mind while he was there with his 1 yo sister. The toys were still fun for him - similar to pre school toys and he was the big helper. Obviously every child is different. Check out both when you board and go with your gut.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________


Pre -Trip Report for August 2014 (In progress)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3215904

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
August 2013 Walt Disney World - Pop Century
DisMom1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
southlake
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMom1981 View Post
I had a DS 3 years 4 mos in the nursery. The kids club was a lot of fun during open house- but too much independence required for my guy to be left on his own there. He was not really ready to self advocate. Like a PP said- the age range is big if you consider there are school age and pre k kids mixed. Plus the space was so big. Though the nursery may have been young for him - I had peace of mind while he was there with his 1 yo sister. The toys were still fun for him - similar to pre school toys and he was the big helper. Obviously every child is different. Check out both when you board and go with your gut.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
This is what I'm thinking after reading everyone's responses. I'm now leaning towards the nursery because of the preschool-age toys available, which she likes, and I don't want a 12 year old running over my 3 year old toddler or anything. That is a big age difference. We will check out both but I'm now leaning towards the nursery.!
__________________
Disneyland: May '12, Oct '12, Nov '12, Oct '13, Nov '13
Disney Cruise: Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, May '13
Disney Aulani: Aug '13
Upcoming: Disney Cruise to the Western Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, May '14
southlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #10
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran
 
Momma2Jax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 751

My DS was 3 years 9mo, but he has developmental delays and special needs. He LOVED the nursery! He was only in there once, but they did a craft with him, he played with trucks, and they had lots of preschool aged toys.
__________________

Me DH DS 5


Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
KPetty725
DIS Veteran
 
KPetty725's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boerne, Texas
Posts: 520

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlake
If you had a 3 yr old onboard, did they prefer the Small World Nursery or the Oceaneer's club?
We just got off an 8-night on the magic with a 6-year-old and a just-turned-3-year-old. Both girls LOVED the Oceaneer Club. We did the nursery on our last cruise (DD was 1.5) and she did ok. They did crafts and were good taking her when she was crying. The nice thing about the nursery is you're paying so they deal with the kids unless its a true emergency. This time, my DH and I were paged a LOT for our DD3. There were a lot of older kids and she tried to keep up and ended up falling. Like a typical toddler, she would cry and ask for Mommy so they would page me but by the time I made it up there (and through the line that was inevitably at the entrance) I would find her playing and not wanting to leave. Go figure. They did take her when she cried at the entrance because I assured them she would stop within 10 minutes (again, typical toddler stuff). The one time she fell and actually got hurt (busted lip), they called instead of paging and explained that she was fine but wanted us to come get her.

They did go to the Lab once and liked it but preferred the Club. It was more their speed. :-) Hope this helps!
__________________
- Katie



KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
momof3poohlovers
DIS Veteran
 
momof3poohlovers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: California
Posts: 681

I have a 3 year old as well. He will be 3 1/2 on our cruise. He won't have any older siblings in the Club so I am concerned about him being alone just left to wander around by himself. Can I try the Club and then if it doesn't work out switch him to the Nursery or do they make you stay where he is originally signed up?
__________________
momof3poohlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #13
Larkinfamily
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Essex, England
Posts: 13

Just tagging as I am also debating where my twin 3 11mth year olds will prefer
Larkinfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #14
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran
 
DisMom1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3poohlovers
I have a 3 year old as well. He will be 3 1/2 on our cruise. He won't have any older siblings in the Club so I am concerned about him being alone just left to wander around by himself. Can I try the Club and then if it doesn't work out switch him to the Nursery or do they make you stay where he is originally signed up?
That is what I wanted to do but they said once you signed up for one that was it. We cruised in July and got mixed messages from nursery and club CM's.....new staff, new ship, new procedures/some confusion I guess. Anyway it worked out for us. Could the nursery have been boring if we left him there for full days? Maybe.....but we really only did a few hours at a time and after checking them out on the first day and speaking with CM's, I knew the nursery was the right call for my kid. The point of the nursery was for my husband and I to have some carefree-ish alone time so I needed to feel confident that the kids were going to be fine and didn't mind paying for the service. We got to do Palo Brunch one day, enjoyed Satellite Falls a few times and had a dinner with just the adults in our party one night . Plus I kind of wanted middle of the day quiet time for the kids and the nursery has a quiet room. Good luck! Have an amazing trip! We can't wait to go again!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________


Pre -Trip Report for August 2014 (In progress)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3215904

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
August 2013 Walt Disney World - Pop Century
DisMom1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #15
lanejudy
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,539
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3poohlovers View Post
I have a 3 year old as well. He will be 3 1/2 on our cruise. He won't have any older siblings in the Club so I am concerned about him being alone just left to wander around by himself. Can I try the Club and then if it doesn't work out switch him to the Nursery or do they make you stay where he is originally signed up?
You really won't have an answer to that question until you are onboard. Since he is already 3 yrs old, they'll expect him at the Club and you won't be able to pre-sign-up for any nursery time. That's assuming he is fully potty-trained. Once onboard, you can ask at the nursery if they will accept him - it may depend on how many little ones are on your specific cruise. Since the nursery has a lower child:caregiver ratio, they can accept fewer kids and that comes into consideration with cruise capacity.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: