DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 04:00 AM   #1
Jobelly
Earning My Ears

Smile A bit confused

Hi, I've just joined dis today, although I have browsed quite a bit in the past. I've been reading a lot of the dvc posts as we're thinking about buying a resale. Although I love BC we're considering buying SS (which we've never seen) as its close to DTD and you get more points for less and it's cheaper for annual dues. I do hope we would be able to stay at BCV at some point again though, as we would be hoping to book either may or mid to end of August and I don't think this is a particular busy time so hopefully should get at the 7 month mark.
Anyway that is just a bit of background, I have been reading the post about people who have gotten past ROFR and I am a bit confused. Am I correct in thinking that these are people who have been successful in buying resales and they have got them at the price per point indicated? These prices all seem a lot lower than the sites I have been looking at (I don't know if I can name the sites but it seems to be the three big ones and another I saw mentioned on dis). Also do they indicate that the seller agreed to pay annual dues as all the sites seem to say I would be responsible for this years annual due.
If I do decide to go ahead and buy should I make an offer quite a bit lower than the price as going off the list some of them are $10 per point less?
We don't intend going until may2014 and as travelling from uk will probably be two weeks at a time and every other year so thinking we probably need about 250points.
Thanks for any help.
Jobelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:38 AM   #2
disbound09
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

In resale you can offer what you consider to be a fair price. Seller can counter, or hold tight. Depending on how many offers you want to make before you find your property will help you set a price you are willing to wait for. We are ROFR for a SSR property we offered 50 on a 60 per pt contract and settled at 53. It was loaded with 320 2012 and all of 320 of 2013. We have stayed at SSR in past and loved it so we bought there. I did not like BC when we stayed there so it is a personal choice you make. SSR is laid back and that fits some people. BCV is hard to get in at 7 months most of the time and impossible other times. Buy where you know you will like. Good Luck!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 04:46 AM   #3
Jobelly
Earning My Ears

Thank you.
Think we will like SS, besides that we can't afford as many points at BCV as we would need. BWV would be an option but although I liked boardwalk I'm not so keen on the pool area and very busy to stay in.
Am I right in thinking a loaded contact goes for more? A loaded one would be no good for us as thinking we want as use year of about march/April and so any points would be wasted as we're not going until may 14.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:19 AM   #4
disbound09
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

SSR is laid back which we enjoyed. Loaded contracts are more valuable, but deals are around. You can always bank points into 2014 or possibly rent them. A stripped contract is normally less.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:48 AM   #5
Jobelly
Earning My Ears

Is a stripped contract one with no points for the current year? Possibly wouldn't bother me as going in 2014 and then unsure if will we 2015 or 2016.
Is it easy to rent points out?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
Caren90
DIS Veteran

I would suggest renting points and "trying out" a few different resorts before you consider purchasing. DVC is a long term commitment whereas renting, although possibly a bit risky (I have never had a problem), commits you to only that vacation.

Stephen
Old 02-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #7
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobelly View Post
Is a stripped contract one with no points for the current year? Possibly wouldn't bother me as going in 2014 and then unsure if will we 2015 or 2016.
Is it easy to rent points out?
Technically it doesn't matter if you get the points you need and will use. However, stripped contracts are rarely enough less to make up the difference. The reasons are that they don't tend to drop the pice enough to adjust for the lost points figured at say $10 a point including the maint fees and that banked and borrowed points generally only increase the price marginally plus there are usually little or no fees expected on those points. Side by side a stripped contract is almost always relatively more expensive. Now sometimes it may be the only way to get what you want so the relative difference becomes moot. If you can get a stripped contract for a comparable price and a reasonable fee situation they are likely a better deal because you have advance options on every points in the contract.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:19 AM   #8
XGrumpy1
DIS Veteran

I consider a stripped contract to have no points from last years allotment, no points from this years allotment and next years points were already borrowed and have been used.

A stopped contact will be slightly cheaper, but consider a contract with points, you are buying to be able to go to WDW, not wait for 1-2 years!
XGrumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:53 AM   #9
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

I agree it is not that SSR is not nice. But it is huge, so you can nearly always get a villa there. And fewer people find "close to DTD" as big an advantage as "walkable to xx park/s". More owner at SSR that want to stay at other resorts, means that if you are booking last minute, within 3 months or so, it will nearly always be SSR that has room.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!
Old 02-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #10
disbound09
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

The overall price makes SSR attractive. It is a great resort in itself, but not as close to the parks as some would want. I wish THV were a bit less. We have stayed in BC AK and SS before we bought and purchased SS because it was laid back and you got away from the hustle and bustle and more of a relaxed vacation atmosphere. All of resorts have a degree of desire that varies with users and their needs. We love SSR
Old 02-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #11
gopfans
Earning My Ears

I would really go see SSR (or anywhere) before you buy. I thought I would really not mind SSR when we stayed there but honestly it is my least favorite DVC. If you love BC I would buy there. Why not start off with the number of points you can afford and add on as you can afford to until you can accumulate enough points for the longer stay at BCV. You can stay at SSR on you BCV points and if you find you love it there, buy points there too at a lower cost. You can always do a split stay too. I wish we had understood that you can always add on points down the road when we had looked into DVC Years ago and hadn't waited until we could afford the max points we thought we needed to buy.

Disneyland 1/2 Marathon 2010
Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon 2010
Disney World 1/2 Marathon 2011
Disneyland 1/2 Marathon 2011-Coast to Coast
Princess 1/2 Marathon 2012
**In Training** Disney World FULL Marathon 2013

Calling Animal Kingdom Villas Home since 2012
gopfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #12
Jobelly
Earning My Ears

ELMC, unfortunately we would be spending quite a bit as at $11 per point for 2 weeks in may it would be quite costly.
I agree with everyone that it would be ideal to see SS but that wouldn't be until may 2014 and as I said the to stay would be high.
I'm not that much of a risk taker but I've got a good feeling about SS. It looks like and airy and not that dissimilar to BC. We've looked to stay at AK in the past but I didn't like the look of it and sure enough when we went for a meal we weren't keen on it. I like the idea that SS is more relaxed and that being there for two weeks we can walk around more and try different pools. I also think as DS gets older the location to laser quest and the golf course will be good.
I might be totally wrong of course and if we buy and hate it we're a bit stuck but I've put an offer in for a 300 point contract. Not sure we'll get in as I've went in lower after checking the thread about passing ROFR.
I will let you know, and if we get it probably spend the next year praying we love the resort.
Thanks again for all the help. First time on dis other than lurking and it's been really useful and friendly.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #13
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
ELMC, unfortunately we would be spending quite a bit as at $11 per point for 2 weeks in may it would be quite costly.
I agree with everyone that it would be ideal to see SS but that wouldn't be until may 2014 and as I said the to stay would be high.
I'm not that much of a risk taker but I've got a good feeling about SS. It looks like and airy and not that dissimilar to BC. We've looked to stay at AK in the past but I didn't like the look of it and sure enough when we went for a meal we weren't keen on it. I like the idea that SS is more relaxed and that being there for two weeks we can walk around more and try different pools. I also think as DS gets older the location to laser quest and the golf course will be good.
I might be totally wrong of course and if we buy and hate it we're a bit stuck but I've put an offer in for a 300 point contract. Not sure we'll get in as I've went in lower after checking the thread about passing ROFR.
I will let you know, and if we get it probably spend the next year praying we love the resort.
Thanks again for all the help. First time on dis other than lurking and it's been really useful and friendly.
I understand what the rental rates are, but I am a bit nervous that you are not taking the time to do the math. You can spend $11 per point to rent the points now, or you can spend $50-60 per point for purchase, plus closing costs, plus maintenance fees of $4.80+ for each of the next 40 years. Like I said before, renting points for one vacation will not be half of your DVC purchase price assuming that you are comparing the purchase of a contract that has points equal to the number that you would be renting. One option will cost you just short of $5,000 (assuming 2 weeks in a 1 BR). The 300 point contract you are bidding on will cost you between $17,000-20,000 this year, plus an additional $1,500+ each year going forward.

Whether or not you would like the resort is a completely different issue.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #14
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As long as you truly know (by experience) that you value staying on property and have several stays at Moderate's or above, you should be OK. You mentioned you love BC, I presume you've stayed there and not just visited. Ideally new members will have sufficient Disney and DVC experience over several years with a number of Disney trips AND a comparable off property Timeshare experience to truly know (beyond emotion) that DVC is right for them. IMO it takes all 3 components to make a truly informed decision. Someone who has enough experience in 2 of the 3 areas can likely to OK most of the time.

IMO far too many people make the assumption because they like staying on property that they won't like staying off property. I remember a recent post where someone's experience off property was a condo once and a timeshare stay some 20 years ago, that's simply not enough info to make an informed decision. We also see people who stayed off in a cheaper hotel and really enjoyed Disney and assume that they want to go year after year without sufficient track record to really know. IMO there are a number of very comparable off property timeshares that are, in some ways, better than DVC resorts. No one does theming like Disney and the location can't be beat but many actually prefer to stay off property when they visit Disney.

As for buying now to allow part of your next trip to reduce your overall cost, it's likely not as much difference as you think. By the time you pay dues on 2 years of 300 points you're close to $3500 and you can figure that SSR will be a little cheaper in 2 years, maybe $3 per point, you're actual additional cost for that next trip is only in the range of $1200 extra. Still money that could reduce your overall investment but you could look at it as an insurance policy against not liking your current choices and/or if life happens.

We all wish you well not matter how things work out, hopefully your bid will be accepted and you will love SSR.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #15
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
As for buying now to allow part of your next trip to reduce your overall cost, it's likely not as much difference as you think. By the time you pay dues on 2 years of 300 points you're close to $3500 and you can figure that SSR will be a little cheaper in 2 years, maybe $3 per point, you're actual additional cost for that next trip is only in the range of $1200 extra. Still money that could reduce your overall investment but you could look at it as an insurance policy against not liking your current choices and/or if life happens.
Do you feel that this is the proper thinking for all the DVC resorts..? It seems like the price per point that Disney raises year over year is more than $3 per point, isn't it? The price we were offered has already gone up $5 pp since that time (and was three months ago).

I'm also still wondering about direct vs resale. I could honestly seeing us using our 160 points from time to time to do something different - go to a foreign country for a week, or stay at one of the partnered places. Would that benefit outweigh just renting out the points that year and using that money towards a hotel at a different place? Or is that benefit really something that shouldn't matter because it is no good anyway and we'd still want to get a different hotel? What places on property COULDN'T we stay at if we had bought resale? (Pointing me to the right thread for those questions would be helpful too.. I just can't seem to find it!)

Thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: