Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
ilovedisney1982
Loving Disney Every Day!
 
ilovedisney1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 164

Question Is it just me??

Okay, so lately, I have been getting lots of criticism as to entering my daughter in pageants. It has always been that way. DH's parents disapprove and my parents couldn't hate it more. What is so bad about glitz pageants?! People saying that Toddlers and Tiaras is a prequel to Sixteen and Pregnant?! That is an extremely stereotypical show. Toddlers and Tiaras is MEANT to make parents look crazy. Glitz pageants teach poise, passion, and grace! What is the big fuss?! Just about every girl in Sherwood has competed in at least 5 or 6 pageants. AT LEAST. I'm pretty sure DD likes them. We have been doing the since she was about 2 or 3 months old. What is the big fuss?!?! Seriously, why am I getting criticized for this?? Is it only me?!?!
ilovedisney1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran
 
StitchesGr8Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,449

I have mixed feelings on pageants.

The good - kids are taught poise, get to showcase talents.

The bad - they are being judged on looks (including weight as they get older), and some kids get an overinflated ego that the parents reinforce, making their kids brats.

I guess as long as a child's identity isn't based around being in pageants it's not so bad. But I know quite a few women who grew up in pageants thinking they were better than others, and real life has not been good to them. You can also tell the pageant moms who feel badly about themselves and are living through their kids.

I don't agree with putting a child in as an infant, or even before they can express if they want to be in a pageant. The parents are doing that for their own benefit, to hear how cute their kids are.
__________________
'86-offsite, '91-Buena Vista Palace, '92-offsite, '97-offsite, '98-Magic Music Days, '06-ASMu, '07-FtW, '09-ASMu,'10-POR,'12-Poly (Honeymoon!)
StitchesGr8Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,076

Sorry Op, but you asked. I think they are awful, particularly the infant/toddler pageants. They are somewhat common in my neck of the woods as well. I try not to judge other parents because I really don't want others to judge me but this is one of those things I have a hard time with. I agree with Jennasis, when they're old enough to truly want to do it and parents have the income so that it's not being taken from college savings, etc., then that's another story. And IMO, the glitz are the worst.
__________________
Me , DH , DS 3 , and DS 3
twinboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran
 
StitchesGr8Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,449

Oh, and don't get me started on parents that put their kids inappropriate costumes and have them do vulgar dance moves like they are college kids in a club. Judges should take off points for that.
__________________
'86-offsite, '91-Buena Vista Palace, '92-offsite, '97-offsite, '98-Magic Music Days, '06-ASMu, '07-FtW, '09-ASMu,'10-POR,'12-Poly (Honeymoon!)
StitchesGr8Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!
 
Jennasis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The Triad, NC
Posts: 23,766

I have no use for any pageants with little girls wearing makeup and hair extensions. It's absolutely bizarre. Same goes for BABIES or toddlers. When a child is old enough to at least walk and talk and have a discussion with their parents about whether or not it is something the child WANTS to do, then have at it.
__________________
Jennasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,271

I think they teach children that shallow values are important. They are not age appropriate, kids that age should not be in makeup,hair extensions, fake tan, and fake teeth. That is not real beauty everything on them is fake. Children should not grow up learning that thy need all of that o be beautiful it sends all the wrong messages. They lose their individuality, trying to imitate the perfect pageant robot with a fake smile. Ick.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,439

Your child is 10 and you're "pretty sure" she likes being in pageants?
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #8
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!
 
MIGrandma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,923

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar heel View Post
Your child is 10 and you're "pretty sure" she likes being in pageants?
That's what I was thinking too.

If she hasn't expressed WANTING to be in pageants, she shouldn't be in them.

And you've had her in pageants since she was 2-3 months old?

Personally I think they're ridiculous. When a child is old enough to ASK her mother about being entered in pageants and it's the CHILD'S choice, then fine, but not before and certainly not as an infant.
__________________
MIGrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
NYEmomma
DIS Veteran
 
NYEmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 1,643

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
I have no use for any pageants with little girls wearing makeup and hair extensions. It's absolutely bizarre. Same goes for BABIES or toddlers. When a child is old enough to at least walk and talk and have a discussion with their parents about whether or not it is something the child WANTS to do, then have at it.
ITA. Completely inappropriate. I have a 4yo DD so she's at the age, I think, to be able to ask to do something if she has an interest in it... if she asked me to do pageants, I'd do everything I could to dissuade her from it, possibly even put my foot down and just give a cut & dry, "no, it's not happening".
__________________
Me , DH , DD 4 , DD 1 , DD 1

8/82 off-site :: 12/88 off-site :: 2/93 POFQ :: 12/98 off-site :: 10/02 POFQ :: 10/11 POFQ :: waiting for 3/15 to get here!
NYEmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
smitch425
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 11,241

If the pageants are judged on God-given NATURAL beauty then I don't see an issue with them. If the pageants are the kind with fake teeth and fake hair then I think they are disgusting. Those parents might as well come right out and tell their kid "Sorry, Sweetie, you are too ugly to win without all of this extra stuff I make you wear so go out there and act like you are worthy."

Modeling is a better way to go. I did it back in the day and my cousin is a model. Much classier than pageants, IMHO.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out
 
wdwmom0f3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 7,944

I think they are a complete waste of time and money.
__________________
Carla DH DD 21 DD 16 DS 13
wdwmom0f3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,544

I want to be clear, that I'm only answering this because you asked directly. I would never tell someone that the hobby they chose for their child is wrong, unless it was something like Toddler fight club or the Jr. lodge of the KKK.

However, glitz pageants, as I understand them, aren't something I'd choose for my hypothetical daughter. For my family, I worry that the message they give is that appearance is what's important. I also think that there are some unfortunate messages about money in the pageant world, where people seem to (I admit, I don't know much) spend a lot of money on things like fancy dresses.

You mention poise, passion and grace. To me poise is about how you act under pressure. An ER doctor who stays calm and thoughtful and deliberate while dealing with a gunshot room, demonstrates the kind of poise I want my child to have. I think that's a very different kind of poise than you get from being on stage. To me passion is important, but I think there are many other, more wholesome, activities that can teach that. As for grace, grace is about how you treat others, not just about how you move or perform.

I can imagine researching it and possibly allowing my daughter to compete if she came to me and begged, but I can't imagine bringing the idea to her in any way. It would have to come 100% from her.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #13
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!
 
Minerva Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,360

Personally, I don't like them. IMO a pageant where you do anything other than showcase exactly what your mama gave ya, is just false advertising. I wanna see a pageant that has real women, no veneers, no false eyelashes, no extensions or weaves, no fake tans, no fake chest, no butt implants, no liposuction or calf implants. No face lifts, or nose jobs, or lip injections, no artificial nails and no color contacts.

What happened to natural beauty, I so look forward to that trend again!
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #14
StephMK
DIS Veteran
 
StephMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: TBD
Posts: 4,849

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
I want to be clear, that I'm only answering this because you asked directly. I would never tell someone that the hobby they chose for their child is wrong, unless it was something like Toddler fight club or the Jr. lodge of the KKK.

However, glitz pageants, as I understand them, aren't something I'd choose for my hypothetical daughter. For my family, I worry that the message they give is that appearance is what's important. I also think that there are some unfortunate messages about money in the pageant world, where people seem to (I admit, I don't know much) spend a lot of money on things like fancy dresses.

You mention poise, passion and grace. To me poise is about how you act under pressure. An ER doctor who stays calm and thoughtful and deliberate while dealing with a gunshot room, demonstrates the kind of poise I want my child to have. I think that's a very different kind of poise than you get from being on stage. To me passion is important, but I think there are many other, more wholesome, activities that can teach that. As for grace, grace is about how you treat others, not just about how you move or perform.

I can imagine researching it and possibly allowing my daughter to compete if she came to me and begged, but I can't imagine bringing the idea to her in any way. It would have to come 100% from her.
Toddler Fight Club - that made me LOL

ITA. There are other ways to develop those qualities.

I admit that I am not familiar with them enough to know but it does not appear that anything other than "traditional/old fashioned" beauty is favored. Big hair, shiny clothes, lots of makeup.

I find it curious that you're *pretty sure* she likes them. If she's the 10 yo in your sig, haven't you talked about it at all?

I can't see how trying to look older & glam with all the fake accessories creates a healthy sense of self. I don't knock others for their choices (some of them do look adorable) but it's personally not something I would allow for my kids. They also don't wear clothes that make them look too old or watch shows/movies far above their maturity levels.

Luckily, we've never lived somewhere where it was popular but I can see where kids/parents might be more interested if it's something a lot of kids do in the area.
__________________
DD DD DS
StephMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #15
ilovedisney1982
Loving Disney Every Day!
 
ilovedisney1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephMK View Post
Toddler Fight Club - that made me LOL

ITA. There are other ways to develop those qualities.

I admit that I am not familiar with them enough to know but it does not appear that anything other than "traditional/old fashioned" beauty is favored. Big hair, shiny clothes, lots of makeup.

I find it curious that you're *pretty sure* she likes them. If she's the 10 yo in your sig, haven't you talked about it at all?

I can't see how trying to look older & glam with all the fake accessories creates a healthy sense of self. I don't knock others for their choices (some of them do look adorable) but it's personally not something I would allow for my kids. They also don't wear clothes that make them look too old or watch shows/movies far above their maturity levels.

Luckily, we've never lived somewhere where it was popular but I can see where kids/parents might be more interested if it's something a lot of kids do in the area.
Well, she has never openly told me "Mom, take me out of pageants", and I am very clear with her that if she ever feels as if it is necessary that she should stop pageants, she can come to me. Again, she rarely says "I love pageants I want to be Miss Universe!!". That's why I get mixed feelings.
ilovedisney1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pageants



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.