Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
izzy
"It's not the heat -- it's the stupidity"

House Hunters - now I've heard it all

I'm currently watching House Hunters, and there is a 30-ish age couple from Boston who are looking for a vacation home in Charleston. In introducing the couple, they normally say a little something about they do for a living. She said that that she used to work in the IT field, but that she quit to become a stay at home mommy -- to their two dogs!

To borrow one of my favorite phrases from the 80's.... gag me with a spoon!!!

izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
emer95
DIS Veteran

I'm watching it too. What a nutter! She also gasps with horror when a horse drawn carriage goes by.

They must have buckets of cash. $500,000 for a vacation home, and she doesn't even work? Wow!
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

I remember the episode where they were looking for a home with a special place for the lady's pet turtles!
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Sugardimples
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernmiss View Post
I remember the episode where they were looking for a home with a special place for the lady's pet turtles!
I remember this one. She was quite unusual! I remeber she traveled weekly for work and took the turtles with her. I guess some hotels are turtle friendly!
Sugardimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emer95 View Post
I'm watching it too. What a nutter! She also gasps with horror when a horse drawn carriage goes by.

They must have buckets of cash. $500,000 for a vacation home, and she doesn't even work? Wow!
She may be a nutter, but they have done something right. Good for them.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

I hope to heavens that when future spoiled homebuyers are sick of granite, that someone comes up with a great use for all the granite that is going to be ripped from homes & tossed. What took earth millions of years to create, will be disposed of after maybe only 20 yrs of use. Very sad.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #7
Jaya
DIS Veteran

I wish I had a dime for each time someone whines "This kitchen (bathroom, dining room, light fixture.....) IS SO DATED." Well, duh, anything older than one minute ago is "dated".

Or you have the lady who immediate rejected houses because they had shower curtains. She refused to even walk into one bathroom because it had a shower curtain. Of course, maybe she's like my sister, who hates shower curtains to this day because I had her convinced as a kid that the boogy-man was hiding in the bathtub. I'm going to hell for that....I just know it.
Jaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
luvwinnie
And how are YOU feeling?
My happy thought: Sitting on Main Street eating ice cream.
Can't tell the difference between Burger King and Wendys

I think there should be a follow up a year later. I want to see how many are still married. Lol. Saw one where the husband kept referring to needing room for kids and wife would roll her eyes. Finally she said "ugh, you and your kids!" hmmm maybe they didn't discuss this BEFORE getting married?

And did you see the woman who wanted no trees because she hated the sound of birds??
luvwinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
diznee25
DIS Veteran

You can play that drinking game not only with House Hunters, but Property Brothers too. I'm watching Property Brothers right now, and in less than 5 minutes I heard, 'natural light', 'pop corn ceiling', and 'open concept'.

You guys have ruined these shows for me!

diznee25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diznee25 View Post
You can play that drinking game not only with House Hunters, but Property Brothers too. I'm watching Property Brothers right now, and in less than 5 minutes I heard, 'natural light', 'pop corn ceiling', and 'open concept'.

You guys have ruined these shows for me!
I don't care for Property Brothers or Love It Or List It. Property Brothers reno estimates can't possibly be accurate, since they seem to include designer input and specific furniture selected in the design process. If I could afford a designer for color schemes, tile, carpet and furniture selection, my humble home would be worthy of a Town & Country layout.

Love It Or List It always has a problem where the lady can't stretch the budget to include everything promised. But what she does accomplish is still unbelievable vs. what you or I would get charged for the same work. Her finished work also seems to include custom color schemes, paint, tile, window coverings, carpet selection and some/all furniture.

Here's what us real people get in terms of design help when contracting work on our interiors: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZwOGVWqHAw

House Hunters - unbelievable backstories but still a good show.
POOHsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvwinnie View Post
I think there should be a follow up a year later. I want to see how many are still married. Lol. Saw one where the husband kept referring to needing room for kids and wife would roll her eyes. Finally she said "ugh, you and your kids!" hmmm maybe they didn't discuss this BEFORE getting married?

And did you see the woman who wanted no trees because she hated the sound of birds??
Oh yes I remember the bird lady!!
CdnCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #12
::danielle::
Mouseketeer

I'm watching this same episode! They must have been one of those few people who made a fortune during the Dot Com boom several years ago.

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, dreams are forever." ~Walt Disney.

Disneyland 2009 (Candy Cane Inn)

Disney World March 2-11 2012 (POP, WBC, POR split stay)

Disney World Dec 14-21 (BLT)
::danielle:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #13
DVCLiz
That's me - proud defender of the Mega roll
click here to use the trolldar
We saw "I pooted" and thought it was a "New York" thing!

I laughed every time she whined about a fireplace. Exactly how often do you think she will be able to use that fireplace in CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA? Maybe twice if she happens to hit Charleston on vacation when it is a tiny bit cool. Charleston is normally as hot as a firecracker.
DVCLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:43 AM   #14
mom2d&b
DIS Veteran

Love how they bought this vacation home and now are using it for "glorified" camping. Furnished with only a blow up mattress. Looks like someone will need to go back to work to afford furniture for the vacation home.
mom2d&b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #15
Topper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCLiz View Post
I laughed every time she whined about a fireplace. Exactly how often do you think she will be able to use that fireplace in CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA? Maybe twice if she happens to hit Charleston on vacation when it is a tiny bit cool. Charleston is normally as hot as a firecracker.
I would want a fireplace in Charleston, especially during:

Month..........Avg Low
Jan..................43
Feb..................46
Mar..................52
Nov..................54
Dec..................46

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: