DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
Angela0917
DIS Veteran

Use Year Question

Hello! We've been looking to buy into DVC and I have a question about the use years. If you don't have a preferred time to go, does it matter what your use year is? The past couple years we've gone in April/May, 2 November trips, and we're going back this April. We also have been wanting to go in October. The only times we definitely wouldn't travel right now is over Christmas and during summer, however that may change as our kids are older and in school. So does use year really matter then?
Old 02-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
Kidanifan08
DIS Veteran

If you don't have a set pattern of travel, then it becomes difficult to choose a UY that gives you the advantage of planning travel during the timeframe when your points are able to be banked. We are kind of that way, in that we have travelled every month except Sept and Nov. Going forward, we will probably travel mostly in the summer, as we have a school age child, but occasionally Oct or Dec. We have a Dec UY, which is really only good for those summer and Dec trips.

When you can't choose a UY that works best for you because your year-to-year travel schedule is erratic, then you may want to choose a UY that is in abundance in the resale market, if you ever see yourself purchasing additional points after your initial purchase. Here is a link to a site that shows the distribution of points by UY for each resort:

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-pro...on-by-use-year

I would probably be inclined to avoid buying a contract with less than 10% of the points in that UY month, simply because it may be difficult to find add-ons in the future with that UY. If you don't see yourself ever buying another contract after your first purchase, then it probably does not matter.

Good luck hunting for that perfect contract!
POP 2004, POR Oct '08, SSR Jan '09 (first DVC trip!), AKV-K June '09, ASM Oct '09, CBR Jan '10, AKV-K Dec '10, CSR Feb '11, OKW Aug '11, Kidani/BLT Oct '11, BWV/GF Mar '12, Jambo-CL/BLT May/June '12, Kidani Dec '12, BWV Apr '13, BLT/Kidani July '13, Jambo-CL Apr '14, BCV/Kidani July '14, BWV/GF Oct '14, Jambo Dec '14, Jambo-CL July '15

Last edited by Kidanifan08; 02-21-2013 at 01:56 PM. Reason: more info
Kidanifan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
Illini Al
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidanifan08 View Post
If you don't have a set pattern of travel, then it becomes difficult to choose a UY that gives you the advantage of planning travel during the timeframe when your points are able to be banked. We are kind of that way, in that we have travelled every month except Sept and Nov. Going forward, we will probably travel mostly in the summer, as we have a school age child, but occasionally Oct or Dec. We have a Dec UY, which is really only good for those summer and Dec trips.

When you can't choose a UY that works best for you because your year-to-year travel schedule is erratic, then you may want to choose a UY that is in abundance in the resale market, if you ever see yourself purchasing additional points after your initial purchase. Here is a link to a site that shows the distribution of points by UY for each resort:

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-pro...on-by-use-year

I would probably be inclined to avoid buying a contract with less than 10% of the points in that UY month, simply because it may be difficult to find add-ons in the future with that UY. If you don't see yourself ever buying another contract after your first purchase, then it probably does not matter.

Good luck hunting for that perfect contract!
Great point. I'm hunting for my first contract, and I, too, expect to have erratic and inconsistent trip dates. Therefore, I'm giving strong consideration to the most prevalent UY's at my desired resort -- SSR.
Illini Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
Kidanifan08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini Al View Post
Great point. I'm hunting for my first contract, and I, too, expect to have erratic and inconsistent trip dates. Therefore, I'm giving strong consideration to the most prevalent UY's at my desired resort -- SSR.
We bought our first contract direct and we ended up with a December UY. I think the main reason is that we bought in Oct and that was the only UY where we would get current UY points (2008). Of course, since Kidani was not open yet, we got developer points to use at SSR, which is a very nice resort.

The more I learn about DVC and specifically about UY, the more I realize that UY doesn't matter to my situation at this time. If I was approaching retirement and knew that I was always going to go to F&W and spend 2-4 weeks at WDW in Jan or Feb, then I would probably want a Sept or Oct UY. But in my current state of existence, it doesn't matter to me.

Fortunately, DW and I have careers that allow for advanced planning and little risk of canceling a vacation, so we generally don't need to worry about our banking deadline with regards to risk of canceling.
POP 2004, POR Oct '08, SSR Jan '09 (first DVC trip!), AKV-K June '09, ASM Oct '09, CBR Jan '10, AKV-K Dec '10, CSR Feb '11, OKW Aug '11, Kidani/BLT Oct '11, BWV/GF Mar '12, Jambo-CL/BLT May/June '12, Kidani Dec '12, BWV Apr '13, BLT/Kidani July '13, Jambo-CL Apr '14, BCV/Kidani July '14, BWV/GF Oct '14, Jambo Dec '14, Jambo-CL July '15

Kidanifan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
intertile
Mouseketeer

When we purchased, we stressed about UY and ended up taking September. Back then the banking rules were much more difficult, and UY actually made a difference, but now it doesn't really matter that much.

The one thing I did learn today about UY has to do with adding-on. Thanks to the TTS for the info. When adding-on you should pick contracts with the same UY, because if you don't then its like having 2 seperate contracts and the points can't be used together without transferring. So if your buying a contract retail or resale, its best to choose a UY that has a high percentage relative to the rest of the community. It will make it easier to add-on later.
intertile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
tlh
Mouseketeer

Maybe 2 Use years?

I have been looking and it seems like the small October use years haven't came around lately for AKV. Maybe I just need to be more patient, but I thought since we will travel in mainly Dec. and March and occasionally in Nov. maybe start out with the many Dec. contracts i see with 100 and add on later with a 100 for maybe August or September. Is this a bad idea? Wouldn't those use years cover us all year around? Is it a big hassle and trouble transferring and managing the two? Just would like some advice from the pros!
tlh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: