Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

What would turn you off in a house for sale ?

If you were looking to buy a house and went to check it out in person, what would turn you off.

Knowing ahead of time that it is 240 yrs old and has not been updated, everything is original as much as possible. Some chipped paint is obviously going to be there but everything works without problems and has been kept up. It even comes with a full home inspection report showing that there are no major items wrong with the house. The outside of the house has been half re-painted since it got too cold to finish last year. We will continue to paint it until it sells.

What visual things would turn you off besides the obvious like dirt and piles of junk ?

Too much furniture ? Kids toys ? packed boxes ? family pictures ?

I am trying to think of what else I need to do to show my house. They are coming to take pictures for the online listing this week and I want each room to look as perfect as it can.

OT.... it is amazing how much stuff you keep around the house and never use. I have donated so much stuff that it is unreal.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Clutter. When we sold our last house, we rented a storage unit and moved lots of extras to the storage unit until the house was sold and we moved to our larger house.

Odors. If you have any pets, you need to have someone you trust come in and tell you if they smell pet odors.

Half painted outside would also be a turnoff. I would think you can't take care of the outside, how has the inside been taken care of?

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
scoutie
DIS Veteran

Clutter and the smell of pets, mainly cat pee. Cigarette smoke would be a complete deal breaker.

Last edited by scoutie; 02-21-2013 at 12:52 PM.
scoutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
palmtreegirl
DIS Veteran

Strong pet odors.
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
ilovepcot
Caused the first ever Tag Fairy thread edit for being naughty
Should be publicly Dole Whipped
Makes a scrumptious pot roast
Don't stick it out if you don't want to lose it

Clutter and odors rank way up there.
ilovepcot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
ChristaDeVil
DIS Veteran

Odors are a biggie with me. I can overlook a little clutter. I think it depends on what you are looking to put into the house. I am not against a little post-purchase reno, so I can overlook paint, wallpaper, carpet, etc. unless it's just really weird and hideous.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Odors would be a huge turn-off for me (smell of cigarettes, pet odors). Clutter, wallpaper, paint colors, too much furniture don't bother me. The owners will be taking their stuff with them, and I can paint and strip wallpaper with the best of them. The "bones" of the house are more important - does it have a good roof, good furnace, is the structure sound - that kind of thing ranks highest for me.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

I agree with others about odors. I can overlook clutter and lots of furniture (though you do need to be careful as it can make the room look smaller) but smells are a big turnoff and you don't know if it will leave with the current owners.

I also really didn't like it when the house looked dark. I would suggest opening the curtains and blinds as I really like the natural light.

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
I agree with others about odors. I can overlook clutter and lots of furniture (though you do need to be careful as it can make the room look smaller) but smells are a big turnoff and you don't know if it will leave with the current owners.

I also really didn't like it when the house looked dark. I would suggest opening the curtains and blinds as I really like the natural light.

And if you have pets, I'd leave the windows open (if weather/temp permits) a couple hours a day.

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Clutter is the first thing for me. I would like to see what I am moving into as far as my furniture goes. Odor's are next. I understand people have pets, and so I am kind of over look a little odor from it. If I see they are neat and tidy it's understandable.

When I sold mine, I put a small pot on the stove with some nice spices and let it simmer to get a nice smell. Everything was clean inside and out and our carpets were clean. Ours was a short sale and we had already moved out, but I went every week and kept up the yard and the pool. We did sell it in 3 months.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #11
Baliezer
DIS Veteran

Furniture that is too big for a room or arranged in a weird way. Like a formal dining table shoved against a wall.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

have been told by many people that they cannot smell my dog including my Realtor. They couldn't tell we even had one since he was outside on the lead. I have painted walls but muted tones and nothing funky except for one room. We will try to finish painting but it can be seen that we are working on it with the replacement windows and new front door and porch. I've never had anyone say anything bad about the house smelling either. The only complaints I get are the age. Floors are very visible beyond the are rugs and they can all be moved to look underneath. Even the rug tiles in the playroom can be picked up and moved out of the way since we didn't glue them down in any way.

I moved everything that we don't use to my Dad's basement for storage so it's not here. I am even getting a smaller table for the kitchen since we currently have a dining room table in there and it takes up too much room. Our attic and basement are pretty empty.

Room sizes are not bad either,a bit smaller than some are used to but lots of rooms to choose from. master bedroom suite and multiples bathrooms and first floor laundry. Living room is 14x13 and kitchen is 17x14.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
branv
The safety feature in my parents van was floor to ceiling shag carpet
If your clothes are cute enough, you can be forgiven for sensible shoes

I definitely agree about the odor issue.

But one thing that really turns me off are bathrooms and kitchen that aren't pristine for showing. I mean, I don't even like to see towels that have clearly been used hanging on the rack, toothbrushes and hairy hairbrushes on the counter. Just gross, and inevitably you can tell that the bathroom is normally nasty because the baseboards (which everyone forgets) are covered in hair and dirt. Sinks with dirty dishes, food smeared microwaves. I have to wonder if that's what they consider "show ready", what did that house normally look like with regular use. And then that makes me think about poor maintenance and bugs.

And if I see clean floors, but baseboards in living areas are covered in pet fur, I start thinking about fleas.

Don't get me wrong, I'm hardly little Miss Perfect Tidy. But I know what truly clean is, and that's what a house up for market needs to be. If that's the best someone can do, then their everyday treatment of that house could be really awful.

One thing I've noticed with model homes -- they have curtains, but not blinds. Plus the windows are sparkling clean. And it really does make the home look bigger and brighter. If we sell this home, I'll probably remove the blinds and put them in the garage. I'll tell the realtor to let any potential buyers know that blinds are included, but have been removed "for cleaning."

One other tip: tidy up your closets and cabinets. People will look inside to see what the storage is like, and if it's crammed full, they'll get the impression there isn't enough storage for them either. Take out and store everything you absolutely don't need for daily living,leaving enough to look lived in. Organize the kitchen cabinets to look pretty. Sometimes the little things make bigger psychological impacts than people realize.
branv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #14
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Clutter. When we sold our last house, we rented a storage unit and moved lots of extras to the storage unit until the house was sold and we moved to our larger house.

Odors. If you have any pets, you need to have someone you trust come in and tell you if they smell pet odors.

Half painted outside would also be a turnoff. I would think you can't take care of the outside, how has the inside been taken care of?
I agree.

I'd get rid of any boxes and repaint at least one room on each floor. New paint smell is better than typical household "odor."

I think when most people purchase a home they want to feel like they are "moving up". And they want to feel like the previous owners are the type of people they are or they want to be. So, any sentimental "tacky" stuff or dated things should go.

This is all my opinion, of course - it may be totally off.

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #15
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

We are currently house hunting
The things that turn me off:

Hard surface floors that I cannot see due to excessive area rugs

Dog poop in the yard - yep, looked at a house the other day that had poop mines all over the yard - gross

Dirty/broken windows

Burnt out light bulbs in closets, garages etc so that we cannot see the area.

Strong "cover up" smells like a strong Scentsy wax burner etc.
or a strong smell of cleaning products like the bath was just Pine-Sol'd

Ugly driveway - lots of oil stains etc. Something about it just turns me off
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: