Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
jensen
DIS Veteran

VENT: I want to strangle my co-worker!

Please humor me and let me vent for a moment before I ask for some advice. I have this co-worker who is simply awful. I like to call her "smarty pants". She thinks she's the smartest person in the world. But, she's a $10/hour bookkeeper whose last job was at Walmart. So, make your own judgement.

She's frequently ill and mostly on Mondays. She's in a lawsuit with Walmart for a workman's comp case where she fell and injured her back. Recently, she's had to come in late because she's been attending therapy sessions for her carpel tunnel syndrome. Did I mention that she's only 30 years old?

But, the thing that really has me going lately is that she's been on this kick where she thinks she runs the office, always telling people what to do or how to do it. I've had a couple of conversations with our mutual boss about things she's done or said specifically towards me. My current issue is not specifically towards me, so I'm trying to ignore it. But, it's grating on my nerves and I feel like she needs to be put in her place before it goes any further. So, here's where I need advice...

We have a new employee who doesn't wash her hands after using the toilet. Ugh, right? But, I'm inclined to simply wash my hands better and ignore that. Well, "smarty pants" has taken it upon herself to start putting notes around reminding people to have healthy habits. It started with a note on the ladies room door reminding you to wash your hands. Then a note in the break room reminding you to wash the dishes with SOAP AND WATER. Today there was a note on the donuts (brought in by a vendor) to use a napkin to pick up the donuts and not your bare hands.

And in between the appearance of these notes, we are constantly hearing her complain about people being gross and dirty and disgusting.

I'm so tired of it... I'd really rather have the germs than her constant nagging.

WWYD?
Jan 2009 All Star Music Jazz Family Suite l Jan 2012 All Star Music Country Fair l Jan 2014 All Star Movies Mighty Ducks
jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
lynxstch
Love that Figment!
Turkey, Clay, and my favorite all time christmas song..all on the same day..it doesn't get any better!
Learned the hard way not to store meltables in the oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensen View Post
But, she's a $10/hour bookkeeper whose last job was at Walmart. So, make your own judgement.

WWYD?

I think you better don your flame suit cause those few sentences are going to rile up some Dis'ers.

Maybe she can't find a better job than Walmart, but in our small town, with very few available jobs, a job at Walmart would be better than none at all!

In my opinion..let your co worker get herself in trouble with no help from you!
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxstch View Post
I think you better don your flame suit cause those few sentences are going to rile up some Dis'ers.

Maybe she can't find a better job than Walmart, but in our small town, with very few available jobs, a job at Walmart would be better than none at all!

In my opinion..let your co worker get herself in trouble with no help from you!
Was going to add on to this, but decided just to walk away.

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

First of all just because someone's last job was at Wal-Mart doesn't mean they are uneducated.

I would just ignore "smarty pants." She is probably a college graduate with no common sense.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

I hope venting here helps get it out of your system. Focus on finding ways to disregard 99.9% of what's bugging you about smarty pants because truthfully the only thing you can control is your reaction. Ignore it & get ear plugs if you need to.
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
disykat
DIS Veteran

The only one of the things you listed that would bother me would be the know it all attitude. However, I think in the case of the hygiene issues I would just be glad someone is addressing it!

It sounds like she might be obsessive about cleanliness, but you said yourself you've noticed some coworkers are not very hygienic so it's hard to fault her for it.

It's easy to get annoyed with people you have to see all the time that bug the heck out of you, but as others pointed out, it doesn't sound like she'll last long if she's annoying the boss as well!
Old 02-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
gjl
Mouseketeer

Removed

Last edited by gjl; 01-22-2014 at 12:54 AM.
gjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
Tink888
Wishing I Was At World Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensen View Post
Please humor me and let me vent for a moment before I ask for some advice. I have this co-worker who is simply awful. I like to call her "smarty pants". She thinks she's the smartest person in the world. But, she's a $10/hour bookkeeper whose last job was at Walmart. So, make your own judgement.

She's frequently ill and mostly on Mondays. She's in a lawsuit with Walmart for a workman's comp case where she fell and injured her back. Recently, she's had to come in late because she's been attending therapy sessions for her carpel tunnel syndrome. Did I mention that she's only 30 years old?

But, the thing that really has me going lately is that she's been on this kick where she thinks she runs the office, always telling people what to do or how to do it. I've had a couple of conversations with our mutual boss about things she's done or said specifically towards me. My current issue is not specifically towards me, so I'm trying to ignore it. But, it's grating on my nerves and I feel like she needs to be put in her place before it goes any further. So, here's where I need advice...

We have a new employee who doesn't wash her hands after using the toilet. Ugh, right? But, I'm inclined to simply wash my hands better and ignore that. Well, "smarty pants" has taken it upon herself to start putting notes around reminding people to have healthy habits. It started with a note on the ladies room door reminding you to wash your hands. Then a note in the break room reminding you to wash the dishes with SOAP AND WATER. Today there was a note on the donuts (brought in by a vendor) to use a napkin to pick up the donuts and not your bare hands.

And in between the appearance of these notes, we are constantly hearing her complain about people being gross and dirty and disgusting.

I'm so tired of it... I'd really rather have the germs than her constant nagging.

WWYD?
Well, I'm a little cranky today so I'd tell her I completely understand her worry about germs seeing as how see's too sick to come to work every Monday and then thank her for reminding us all, multiple times, about the importance of good hygiene, but that she can stop now and focus on her own work because everyone in the office got the message after the third note.

Good luck to you, I couldn't stand working with someone like that day after. day.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink888

Well, I'm a little cranky today so I'd tell her I completely understand her worry about germs seeing as how see's too sick to come to work every Monday and then thank her for reminding us all, multiple times, about the importance of good hygiene, but that she can stop now and focus on her own work because everyone in the office got the message after the third note.

Good luck to you, I couldn't stand working with someone like that day after. day.
I like this answer. It has just the right amount of snark and passive-aggressiveness. (That's a compliment)
lizabu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

I'm in my early 30s and have carpal tunnel. In fact, I've had it since my mid-twenties. It sounds as if you just don't like this girl.

-------------
firecracker725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
Debbie7452
DIS Veteran

I would just start throwing the notes away(anonymously) maybe SHE will "get the message".
Debbie7452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #12
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I would worry more about your own work and less about her sticky notes. Unless you are a member of the custodial staff, those sticky notes are not interfering with your ability to do your job.

By the way, I'm a CFO with an MBA and those $10/hr bookkeepers can be very intelligent, good employees. As a manager, the one thing I despise more than anything out of my staff is someone who complains about another co-worker. I'm not so far removed from the real world at work that I don't see what goes on and can form my own opionions about the employees who work for me, without the assistance of others on my staff pointing out their co-workers' shortcomings. If she is that annoying, her boss probably already knows it.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #13
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

WWYD? Well, seeing how none of this affects me or my work (if I'm a coworker) I wouldn't get involved and I wouldn't let it bother me.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #14
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

I would leave it alone, as I am sure your boss's are seeing these notes. I would let them deal with it. Not worth the time to get yourself worked up over it. Just worry about you.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #15
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie7452 View Post
I would just start throwing the notes away(anonymously) maybe SHE will "get the message".
This.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: