Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
CMW0021
Earning My Ears

Considering a Florida move, need local help!

We currently reside in Pa. My husband has been discussing a move to Florida, we are tired of the weather. Thankfully, I can relocate with my company and my husband is self employed and can work anywhere. We have family in Brandon and Fort Myers and a lot of friends around Tampa. We are considering as far south of Sarasota or as north as Lakeland, Brandon or anywhere in between. If you live or have any experience in these areas, I would love to hear what you love and hate about it. What school districts or areas should we consider? Thank you so much for the info, it's stressful trying to find info online and hoping you can provide some real life experiences.
CMW0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
hgeisler
DIS Veteran

I would not move to Lakeland. A lot of retirement communities. I would consider Winter Garden. It is between Tampa and Orlando, closer to Orlando. Nice community with good schools.
hgeisler is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
2012DisneyWorldBride
I was a Disney Bride on 12.8.12
I put ketchup on my ketchup

We live in Lakewood ranch. It's like between sarasota and bradenton. There are great schools here as well and it's a very nice area.

Michelle & Jeff's 12/8/12 Disney Wishes Wedding WP/GF/DP Morocco - Planning Journal and Trip Report!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2850449
Our Wedding / Honeymoon Trip - 8 Day Deluxe Dining Plan Review With Pictures!!! Didn't finish...
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3037533
Michelle - Jeff (DH) - Chanel (Maltese Puppy)
Disney Trips: AP - for as long as I can remember - AKL 8/2011, GF 12/2012 & AKL 12/2012, CBR 9/2013 & GF 12/2013, CBR 8/2014 & GF 12/2014
2012DisneyWorldBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
Mouse14
Wish I was at the Lodge

I live in Brandon, and work in South Tampa... Brandon is crowded but online it here, your no more than 45 min from the world or the beach. Anything you need can be found in Brandon. Tampa is also nice but like any city location location location, if you have the money South Tampa is nice

Dates i can remember....
Annual pass holder in Feb 2010

Wilderness lodge- (Feb 4,5,6 2010)(Feb 4,5,6 2011)
Caribbean Beach - (Mar 2010)
Saratoga Springs- (July 2010)
Coronado- (Aug2010)
Offsite for Not so scary Halloween party (Oct 2010)
Allstar Movies for Very Merry Christmas party (Dec2010)

POP for Vey Merry (Dec 2011)
Aulani for honeymoon (Feb 4-11 2012)
Mouse14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #5
Mouse14
Wish I was at the Lodge

" online " was an autocorrect supposed to say " I love it here"

Dates i can remember....
Annual pass holder in Feb 2010

Wilderness lodge- (Feb 4,5,6 2010)(Feb 4,5,6 2011)
Caribbean Beach - (Mar 2010)
Saratoga Springs- (July 2010)
Coronado- (Aug2010)
Offsite for Not so scary Halloween party (Oct 2010)
Allstar Movies for Very Merry Christmas party (Dec2010)

POP for Vey Merry (Dec 2011)
Aulani for honeymoon (Feb 4-11 2012)
Mouse14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

We moved from pa in 05. Now in venice area ( southern most of sarasota county.) The nice thing here is that it is probably the least expensive area where you can live very close to beaches. Older homes, more old florida feel, if that is what you like. Lakewood ranch is very nice also. probably more young families, but not close enough to the beach for us. After living here for a while, we found that 5 minutes from the beach is very different than 20.

Best move we ever made. We live at the beach and vacation at wdw.

We would not move to the middle of the state-- without the beaches, its just plain hot.

If your kids are motivated types, they can do very well in the public schools.
FL has great state college programs which help with tuition.

My 16 year old daughter will be a couple of credits short of completing sophmore college credits when she graduates highschool next year.

Good luck -- I recommend the move.
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
Pumbaa7287
I am the great Stone Dragon!
You may ask why someone would want to inflict that kind of pain on themselves

We moved to Gainesville in August of last year and don't regret it at all, although this is more of a college town. As far as the places you've listed, we visited Venice to see DF's grandma and while it is absolutely beautiful it does seem like the majority of the folks living there are retirees. We saw more than one blue-haired lady go up over a curb while taking a right hand turn to sharp. We did love how close it was to Sarasota which has a lot to do from the Ringling mansion and art museum to the St. Armand's circle area which has a ton of shopping if you can deal with crowds (again in the winter mostly when the snowbirds are down, we've heard it's much more peaceful, and hot, in the summer!)

Wherever you move in Florida, being an easy drive away to the World is a glorious feeling. We will wake up early on the weekend occasionally and just decide on the spur of the moment to go check out New Fantasyland again or see how many times we can ride Tower of Terror. It is awesome.

I can speak a bit more to the schools as I am a teacher here. The general level of education is a bit lower here at the elementary and middle school level then up north. It evens out a bit in high school. Florida actually was in the top 5 for students passing AP exams in the country, which is an awesome way to get those college credits on the cheap! Good luck with your decision!

Kungaloosh!

Oh the places you'll go:
Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Old Key West, Wilderness Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Resort, Saratoga Springs, All-Star Movies, Pop Century

And miles to go before I sleep:
Boardwalk Inn, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Yacht Club, All-Star Music, All-Star Sports, Art of Animation

10 down, 8 to go!
Pumbaa7287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:35 AM   #8
Barbydoll8
Offical Disney Dork

move from PA

I moved from PA to FL 17 years ago and now live in Pinellas Cty west of Tampa. I LOVE IT!!! You didn't say where in PA but if you are in a metro area, you'll be use to the population. Tampa/Sarasota is crowded. Especially in the winter time. So be prepared.

When I moved here, the net was just starting so I did everything via phone and mail. The local area chamber of commerce of any area you are thinking about should be a place to start. Contact them for relocation packages. I was amazed at how much information they gave me. From this information, I decided on Largo, FL. I came from north east of Philly and it wasn't that much of a culture, economic or population shock. The traffic is horrible just about anywhere here but that's a small price for paradise.

Also, if you are looking for home prices, go to FloridaMoves.com to look up current houses for sale in the areas you are thinking about.

Moving to FL is the best thing me and my DH did years ago and I don't regret it one bit. Hope this info helps a little.
Barbydoll8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Smile moved from ny to fl 2008

how exciting for you ! ok heres what I did:

first thing was sit down with old school pad & pen and made a wish list
no children in home anymore but a horse cat & 8 dogs
first must have on list was land...rural

next how far willing to commute no job set but knew where dreamed of working
decided on a 35 mile radius one way ....no more

got a map made the commute circle w/push pin & string (told you old school)

next hit internet searches: with my must have list

initial search input: horse property central florida

narrowed it down further rent vs sale NO hoa # bedrooms etc

picked a realtor based on samples of what I saw her listing

had a WDW vacation planned for mid June emailed realtor introduced myself gave info
got a phone call that day she agreed to meet me at Discovery Cove after my pre-planned reservation (this still amazes me ! )

saw 3 or 4 possibilities that day (oh forgot she had emailed listings with lots of pics while I was still in NY) & a few the next

Now live 32 miles one way from where my dream job is, have home on 2 1/2 acres, open kitchen window horse puts nose in for a kiss & treat

14 miles from Lakeland where I shop because there is nothing in me little area except 2 dollar stores and a feed store love love love it

point to our story is do your homework and have fun with this new chapter of your lives
everything was arranged long distance via phone email & us post office from home inspection utility turn on even the closing (which was July 8) was done via phone
moved in Aug

biggest financial surprise was the expense of registering vehicles here the state gets you $$$
& unlike north you go one place for Drivers License & another license plates..correction..its called tag & its paper temp

I apologize for going on long but I also thank you for opportunity to relive it

Best of luck hope you keep thread updated...exciting !

Ruthie

Luvchefmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
SunLuvr321
Mouseketeer

When we moved to Florida we chose the other side of the state so I can not help much with the areas that you are looking for. One thing we did was make the decision to rent for a couple years before buying anything. This gave us a chance to get to know the area and decide what we liked the best. 2 years ago we bought a great little house just 3 blocks from the beach and in an area that we loved to ride our bikes through. We are very happy and don't plan on moving again.

2/2013-Disney Dream ~ 9/2009-Carnival Sensation
SunLuvr321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #11
trewin
Mouseketeer

Just wondering-- How does everybody deal with the heat in the summer after moving from the north? My sister said her friend who lives in Fl (on the beach) "doesn't go outside.." Is it really as bad as some people make it out to be?
trewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #12
Livvys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trewin
Just wondering-- How does everybody deal with the heat in the summer after moving from the north? My sister said her friend who lives in Fl (on the beach) "doesn't go outside.." Is it really as bad as some people make it out to be?
We work during the hottest part of the day, so we don't even notice it much . You really do get used to it tho!
Livvys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #13
Pumbaa7287
I am the great Stone Dragon!
You may ask why someone would want to inflict that kind of pain on themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livvys View Post
We work during the hottest part of the day, so we don't even notice it much . You really do get used to it tho!
We've lived here since August and been on vacations in the summer and I think you are the first person I've spoken to from Florida who says you get used to it. There's a difference between being used to it, and learning to cope with it, which is what I think most of us have to do haha. Lots of time indoors, and pools are a must.

Kungaloosh!

Oh the places you'll go:
Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Old Key West, Wilderness Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Resort, Saratoga Springs, All-Star Movies, Pop Century

And miles to go before I sleep:
Boardwalk Inn, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Yacht Club, All-Star Music, All-Star Sports, Art of Animation

10 down, 8 to go!
Pumbaa7287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #14
Ds4angels
Mouseketeer

My parents go back and forth between PA and Fl, they live in Pasco Co. They love being so close to the beach (Howard Park is lovely). Some areas are very nice, others have really gone down hill in the last 10 years.
In talking w/ the neighbors they have not been very impressed w/ the schools in their area. As pp said, the grade and middle schools are lacking some.
They are there from July to end of Sept. Do your yard work early on, or right before sun set. Everything in FL is set up for the heat, so at least once you're inside, you're ok. They haven't had anything storm wise effect them too much and they've had the house for over 10 years.
***sidenote***** the Greek bakeries in Tarpon Springs are soooo good and worth the drive
Old 03-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #15
Livvys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa7287

We've lived here since August and been on vacations in the summer and I think you are the first person I've spoken to from Florida who says you get used to it. There's a difference between being used to it, and learning to cope with it, which is what I think most of us have to do haha. Lots of time indoors, and pools are a must.
I've lived in south florida for 12 years now and I've gotten used to it. Like I said, if you work during the day u miss the hottest part. Beach and pools are great and AC is a must. I moved from Boston and loved cold, but not I've become a wus lol! 69's are COLD hahahahaha
Livvys is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: