Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
amyinindy
Earning My Ears

Port Orleans - Good Choice in May??

I am planning our second trip as a family of 3 to Disney and am looking at staying at Port Orleans Riverside, and would love to hear opinions, good or bad.

Our first trip was last March and we stayed at Beach Club for 2 nights and honestly, it was so busy both at the parks and the hotel, it made us miserable. I have no idea how we didn't expect that to be the case.

This time we are planning to go for 3 nights in May. Is the Port Orleans Riverside a good choice for a family with a 4-year-old? Any tips on the type of room to request? My 4yo is a boy and I don't think he'd be interested in the Royal Rooms. Is it true that a River View room will keep us close to the main pool and main building? What about bus depots?

Also, if I could please ask one more question. I don't see an appropriate board for this, so please redirect me if there is. I've seen a few calendars online that look like Sunday - Wednesday is better for crowds than Wednesday - Sunday. True or False? Earlier in May better than later in May?

Thank you for helping this mama out! I just want Trip #2 to be better than the first!
amyinindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

Do not pay extra for a room type here.

all the views are very similar and not worth an upgrade fee.

POFQ can be a little slower less crowded than beach club.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
DSLRuser is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
MindyMouse76
Mouseketeer

Have you looked into French Quarter? We stayed there last time (2009) when my daughter was 4. It was a VERY small resort with everything super close to the bus stop. We also loved the food court for breakfast.

We are also going in May 2013 and this time staying at Riverside. However, we are doing a Royal Room this time. The only two types of rooms I would consider at Riverside are the Royal Rooms or Preferred location rooms. I feel the rest is to far away.

Hope this helps!
MindyMouse76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
jmcghee2024
DIS Veteran

FQ is a great resort IF you aren't looking for any room discounts. We are also going in May and have a 5 year old. We were booked POFQ but moved once the new promotion came out and POFQ wasn't included and POR was. That being said, if you aren't going for a discount POFQ is the way to go if you are concerned about being close to everything. It is much smaller and you will be much closer to pools, bus, and dining.
jmcghee2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
malacajo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcghee2024 View Post
FQ is a great resort IF you aren't looking for any room discounts. We are also going in May and have a 5 year old. We were booked POFQ but moved once the new promotion came out and POFQ wasn't included and POR was. That being said, if you aren't going for a discount POFQ is the way to go if you are concerned about being close to everything. It is much smaller and you will be much closer to pools, bus, and dining.
Funny, the pin code that I have for this Sept gives a bigger discount to Riverside than to FQ.....It was about a $150 difference for same room essentially....
Old 02-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLRuser View Post
Do not pay extra for a room type here.

all the views are very similar and not worth an upgrade fee.

POFQ can be a little slower less crowded than beach club.
Actually, I have to disagree. With POR, the view can be important for a few reasons, mostly close proximity to the main building and amentities if they cannot secure a preferred building.

Some views are farther away than others; so it may be important to some to obtain a view that gets them closer and it is worth the extra money.

I wouldn't necessarily give a blanket statement that it is not worth it to upgrade room categories; you have to look at the overall resort and think outside of the box a bit.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Shaden
DIS Veteran

I haven't been to POR yet, we are headed there in May, but have done a LOT of research. Portorleans.org should be your friend, great site with all the info you need.

the only thing I will say, is that in may, the discount being offered has a major impact on your POR booking, and almost no impact on POFQ ... this is generally the truth as well.
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
Greasy126
Earning My Ears

Grounds are very nice. We enjoyed our stay and really enjoyed the pool!
Greasy126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #9
clapton
Mouseketeer

Have stayed at POR many times. Love the food court, pool and atmosphere! Enjoy!
clapton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #10
AtlantaSue
I'm so bad at multitasking
Someone told me that I should be able to just plug it in in my car

the only thing I will say, is that in may, the discount being offered has a major impact on your POR booking, and almost no impact on POFQ ... this is generally the truth as well.[/QUOTE]

what is the major impact? do you mean in terms of general availability?
AtlantaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #11
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSue View Post
the only thing I will say, is that in may, the discount being offered has a major impact on your POR booking, and almost no impact on POFQ ... this is generally the truth as well.
what is the major impact? do you mean in terms of general availability?[/QUOTE]

The difference in cost; if you look at the discount offer, the percentage is higher at POR than POFQ.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyinindy View Post
I am planning our second trip as a family of 3 to Disney and am looking at staying at Port Orleans Riverside, and would love to hear opinions, good or bad.

Our first trip was last March and we stayed at Beach Club for 2 nights and honestly, it was so busy both at the parks and the hotel, it made us miserable. I have no idea how we didn't expect that to be the case.

This time we are planning to go for 3 nights in May. Is the Port Orleans Riverside a good choice for a family with a 4-year-old? Any tips on the type of room to request? My 4yo is a boy and I don't think he'd be interested in the Royal Rooms. Is it true that a River View room will keep us close to the main pool and main building? What about bus depots?

Also, if I could please ask one more question. I don't see an appropriate board for this, so please redirect me if there is. I've seen a few calendars online that look like Sunday - Wednesday is better for crowds than Wednesday - Sunday. True or False? Earlier in May better than later in May?

Thank you for helping this mama out! I just want Trip #2 to be better than the first!
There is a great thread for both POR and POFQ; with one small child, I would definitely go with FQ for this trip.

Also at FQ, it is very compact, so essentially everything is well within reach, so feel free to book any type of category you wish. I love riverview, but have been happy with just about any view at POR.

You will want to hop over to the Theme Parks and Strategies Board for information about parks.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #13
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

I personally like POFQ better for the size. However, I'm curious as to why you went for two nights on your first trip and only three this time. Staying at a value could give you extra time if its financial. It's just that WDW is so overwhelming that I could see how your first trip was not as great as you had hoped. By day 3 of a first trip most people are just getting their bearings straight, and you need to rush to do everything.

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #14
amyinindy
Earning My Ears

Thanks, everyone! I think we are probably going POR this time since we're planning on having some time at the pool. I appreciate the advice and opinions very much!
amyinindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #15
Disneylvr
Mommy of Madelyn, Ebay Addict and Happy Scrapbooker
No longer addicted to the Creek
We could watch Wishes every night

Love them both but chose POR this time because in May it is cheaper than FQ. Also during the warmer months it is nice to have the quiet pools near your room.
20+ Disney Trips Since 1985 - All Star Movies, All Star Music, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge
Disneylvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: