Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
RalphMouth
Obviously freaky things always can happen beyond anyones control
It's a blast.......you'll love it !!

$25.49 for a Monte Cristo sandwich at the Blue Bayou

Walt would not approve.

I love going to Disney Theme Parks and did so many times growing up. This May I will get to see Disneyland though the eyes of my 4 year old DD. We better enjoy it because every year it seems prices are increasing so much higher than my salary can keep up. Walt wanted a place that people could take their families and I'm sure many already have been priced out. Yes I understand that certain places naturally are priced higher (movie theaters, ball parks, theme parks) but $25.49 for a sandwich I can get at my local brew pub for $10.95 ?
come on
RalphMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

We don't go to the Blue Bayou because it's too expensive. There are other more reasonably priced options. The Carnation Cafe is a nice replacement for a sit down restaurant inside Disneyland.
ValpoCory is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
lovebug33
DIS Veteran

I agree. The ticket prices are exorbitant then te food and so forth. There are so many people who will not be able to go because of the ticket prices. Although you do get an experience. It cost 80 bucks to get into legoland and it definitely was not eighty bucks worth!
lovebug33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

I know what you are saying, but there are many other places to eat....but they are not the Blue Bayou, maybe a once in a lifetime experience

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackdelta View Post
I know what you are saying, but there are many other places to eat....but they are not the Blue Bayou, maybe a once in a lifetime experience

Jack
That's why they charge what they charge...people will pay it.

At Disneyland you can walk out the gate, walk a block to a restaurant and buy a similar sandwich for less than half the price, plus a drink. But it won't be at Blue Bayou.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
mikedoyleblogger
DIS Veteran

Even 10 years ago I could only afford to make Blue Bayou a once-per trip visit, and it was about a third cheaper then. Still, I've *never* found a similar or similarly good Monte Cristo anywhere else, and it really is shareable. DBF is getting his birthday cake foisted upon him at BB while we're there, and we'll probably share a Monte Cristo. It really is a lot of food, so you don't have to feel like you have to pay $25 per person. And if it's only the sandwich you're after, as others have said, you can get it at Cafe Orleans for a third cheaper.
WDW 1973 Poly | WDW Jul 1977 offsite | DLR Jul 1988 offsite | DLP Apr 2000 offsite | DLR Apr 2002 PPH | DLR Sep 2002 HoJo | DLR Dec 2002 HoJo (HolidayTime!) | DLR Apr 2003 HoJo | DLR Dec 2005 HoJo | DLR Mar 2013 HoJo | WDW May 2013 Pop | DLR Oct 2013 HoJo (HalloweenTime!) | DLR Aug 2014 GCH | DLR Sep 2014 DLH for the first time! (HalloweenTime!) | DLR Dec 2014 TBD (HolidayTime!) | Moving to L.A. 2015!
mikedoyleblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
mmlover74
Mouseketeer

I so agree about Legoland. We paid for 1 day a couple of years ago and they had a promotion where you could go for 5 days...so not worth it with the slow pace of rides. They have signs that say Parents wait and Kids play. So true. If I am paying that much, I want to play too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug33 View Post
I agree. The ticket prices are exorbitant then te food and so forth. There are so many people who will not be able to go because of the ticket prices. Although you do get an experience. It cost 80 bucks to get into legoland and it definitely was not eighty bucks worth!
mmlover74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmlover74 View Post
I so agree about Legoland. We paid for 1 day a couple of years ago and they had a promotion where you could go for 5 days...so not worth it with the slow pace of rides. They have signs that say Parents wait and Kids play. So true. If I am paying that much, I want to play too.
I also agree that Legoland is far more expensive than it's worth, BUT, some people probably find it to be a fair price. That's how I feel about Disneyland. Some people think it's obscenely expensive, but when you compare it to like attractions or forms of entertainment, you get a LOT of bang for your buck!

For example, one thing I love doing is going to shows in Vegas. For my husband and I to enjoy O by Cirque de Soleil in the very cheapest seats is nearly $400 for about 90 minutes of show. That makes Disneyland look like a bargain, doesn't it? BUT, there are plenty of people, myself included, that will pay that amount to see O (as is evidenced by the fact that shows frequently sell out), so clearly many people do see the value in that price. As a competing example, many people pay $200 to swim with dolphins for 25 minutes. I personally find that to be too expensive and wouldn't pay it, but many people do it and enjoy it. That is one example where I have made a decision that the payoff is not worth it for ME, so I choose not to pay for it.

There's no federal obligation to visit Disneyland, or a Vegas show, or to swim with dolphins. The people grumbling about how much it costs are not being forced to go. It's not like gas prices raising when we need to drive to get to work. If you want a luxury item, you have to pay for it, and so long as there are still MANY people willing to pay, ECON 101 says they can continue to increase their price. People are free to spend their money in any way they like to get the best return *for them* on their investment.
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #9
sarahmarie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post
Hmmm... the menu I found online doesn't show either as an option (I'm looking at allears). Is there a better online menu?
Which restaurant menu are you looking at? Blue Bayou or Cafe Orleans? After I re-read the PP's post about the sides, I noticed that the restaurant she orders the gumbo and salad at are Cafe Orleans (the "CO" in her post that I've quoted & bolded below). I'd initially thought she was talking about BB - was easy to miss the "CO" in her post - one of the downfalls of acronyms (which I'm generally a fan of). And I did see the gumbo & salad listed on the menu at allears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
We like to eat at both places, when we go to BB we all get a meal, when we go to CO I get the Gumbo and usually a small salad, DBF gets the MC, we share without asking for a split plate.
Hope that helps clear up some confusion.
DCL: Wonder 4/2012 Mexican Riviera
sarahmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmarie View Post
Hope that helps clear up some confusion.
It does -- thanks so much!

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post
Walt would not approve.
Walt was always more concerned about the entertainment experience so I doubt he would have said anything. Roy would have approved.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
Mackysmycat
DisneyDreamer

At the Blue Bayou, you are definitely paying for the experience.

Disneyland: ~March 2014 ~ VGC, ~March 2013 ~ VGC, ~July 2012 ~ GCH, ~March 2011 ~ GCH, ~March 2009 ~ PVI, ~October 1998 ~ PVI, ~1977
Disneyworld: ~January 2015 ~ BWV, ~October 2010 ~ POP, ~August 2009
Mackysmycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #13
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Quote:
Originally Posted by okw lover
roy would have approved. Popcorn::
ROFL!!! So true.

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #14
pennyring
Thrift Ninja

I say raise the prices! I'd rather pay more and have fewer people in my way. Let's start by weeding out the SoCal AP!

Also, I don't think you're really paying 25 bucks for "a sandwich". If a sandwich is all you need, go to Subway.

That said, we're not planning to take our nieces to BB because there are plenty of other places they'll enjoy more (character meals).
Old 02-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #15
Pinup Mommy
Making everyday a Dapper Day!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyring
I say raise the prices! I'd rather pay more and have fewer people in my way. Let's start by weeding out the SoCal AP!

Also, I don't think you're really paying 25 bucks for "a sandwich". If a sandwich is all you need, go to Subway.

That said, we're not planning to take our nieces to BB because there are plenty of other places they'll enjoy more (character meals).
I completely agree on getting rid of the SoCal AP, or possibly removing the payment plan option.

25 dollars is pricey for the sandwich but it is worth the experience of BB. If you are looking for a tasty sandwich though Earl do Sandwich is a good alternative. I also found dining at Steakhouse 55 or Napa Rose is very fair. You get fine dining at a very competitive price.

DL local since 1980 ~ WDW 1986 ~ WDW 2000 Disney Contempary ~ WDW 2005 Disney Polynesian ~ AP holder since 2009 ~ DL's MNSSHP 2011&2012 ~ DCL Wonder 2012 Halloween Cruise

Pinup Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: