Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
Mickey3Boys
Aarrgg mi mousies!!!

Any Prep for Food Allergies

Any way to get ingredients for full snacks ahead of time? Like cookies, Mickey IceCream Bar, soft serve, etc. and do they cook bread onboard? Usually safe to eat fresh cooked bread, but no bread in grocery store is safe. Allergies include soy, corn, nuts. Room service tips would be appreciated as well. I know about getting with server once onboard and have already sent allergy list to Disney.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey3Boys View Post
Any way to get ingredients for full snacks ahead of time? Like cookies, Mickey IceCream Bar, soft serve, etc. and do they cook bread onboard? Usually safe to eat fresh cooked bread, but no bread in grocery store is safe. Allergies include soy, corn, nuts. Room service tips would be appreciated as well. I know about getting with server once onboard and have already sent allergy list to Disney.
It's my understanding that room service isn't an option with allergies. They don't use the same kitchens as the MDRs, and don't have access to the allergy kitchen.

I know that the break offerings at dinner are usually cooked fresh, but they vary as to variety.

You're safest sticking with meals in the MDRs where they can monitor how things are prepared.

I don't think there is an ingredient list anywhere for the food onboard.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey3Boys View Post
My DD10 is highly allergic to milk, butter, cheese. She carries an epi-pen, jr. with her. She is also allergic (asthma attacks/wheezing, hives, severe ezcema, etc.) to corn/any corn bi-products, onions, broccoli, mangoes, berries, and fish.

As a mom and the need of control her reactions, I do not allow her to eat any of the snacks unless I know the ingredients. With that said, sometimes the chef will prepare something for my DDs. For our Mexico & Med cruises, I brought the snacks, because they knew that they couldn't provide them for her.

That's why we travel on the DCL. I would also ask the DCL in FL to give you a list. They were so helpful in my prep.

We are going again to the Eastern Med June 2013 and feel good about the food that they will provide her.
abayaflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...

Oooh, corn is a biggie, I know from friends with kiddos with corn allergies. That stuff is hidden in everything. My son has a nut allergy, so I cannot speak to most of your concerns.

The allergy kitchens that a previous poster refers to are located only on the newer ships--I'm not sure what ship you are sailing on. The Wonder and Magic do not have dedicated allergy kitchens.

I can say that you need to be abundantly careful at breakfast and lunch when you will NOT have your regular serving team in place. Although we always made the other staff members aware of our son's life-threatening allergy, they were not always as careful about his needs as our regular staff was. In fact, one time were were directly told that the bread on the table at lunch was safe for him to eat (when in fact it was NOT)--and I knew it was not because it was the same bread from the night before that our server and head server did not give us because it was contaminated with nuts. Additionally, the family sharing our table at lunch told us that it wasn't safe--they had an older child with nut allergies who was seated at a different table with a grandparent.

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
abayaflowers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisSarahK View Post
Oooh, corn is a biggie, I know from friends with kiddos with corn allergies. That stuff is hidden in everything. My son has a nut allergy, so I cannot speak to most of your concerns.

The allergy kitchens that a previous poster refers to are located only on the newer ships--I'm not sure what ship you are sailing on. The Wonder and Magic do not have dedicated allergy kitchens.

I can say that you need to be abundantly careful at breakfast and lunch when you will NOT have your regular serving team in place. Although we always made the other staff members aware of our son's life-threatening allergy, they were not always as careful about his needs as our regular staff was. In fact, one time were were directly told that the bread on the table at lunch was safe for him to eat (when in fact it was NOT)--and I knew it was not because it was the same bread from the night before that our server and head server did not give us because it was contaminated with nuts. Additionally, the family sharing our table at lunch told us that it wasn't safe--they had an older child with nut allergies who was seated at a different table with a grandparent.
Good to know about the bread! I have a nut allergy and it's hard to even try any bread, because I can't take the chance.

We plan to take the Fantasy and Dream in a couple of years.

As for the Magic, they have separate pans, utensils, boards, etc. for her which is nice.

DCL takes good care of the first main concerns of children and adults who have severe food allergies.

So, I agree with you that main dining is important.

Thanks again!
abayaflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
reimero
DIS Veteran

The key is to communicate early with DCL about allergies and food concerns, preferably when you book or well before you sail. At the beginning of your first dinner, your waiter will also ask you if there are any food allergies or other dietary needs you may have.

Also, we took a very interesting galley tour when we were on the Fantasy (get to Guest Services right away when you embark and ask about it. It's free, but requires tickets.) Anyway, they do have separate areas where they handle allergies and special dietary needs, and from what I could tell, it's frequently the chefs or sous-chefs themselves who handle those special needs meals.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisSarahK View Post

What kind of nuts? And which bread is it?

I have a mild peanut allergy, but it can be handled with Benadryl, so I'm not mentioning it to DCL because I don't want my family to suffer because of me when it's not life-threatening and I can avoid it by simply not eating peanuts. It's not so severe that something sitting in the same case as something with nuts bothers me just to clarify.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abayaflowers View Post
My DD10 is highly allergic to milk, butter, cheese. She carries an epi-pen, jr. with her. She is also allergic (asthma attacks/wheezing, hives, severe ezcema, etc.) to corn/any corn bi-products, onions, broccoli, mangoes, berries, and fish.

As a mom and the need of control her reactions, I do not allow her to eat any of the snacks unless I know the ingredients. With that said, sometimes the chef will prepare something for my DDs. For our Mexico & Med cruises, I brought the snacks, because they knew that they couldn't provide them for her.

That's why we travel on the DCL. I would also ask the DCL in FL to give you a list. They were so helpful in my prep.

We are going again to the Eastern Med June 2013 and feel good about the food that they will provide her.
What type of ingredients list were they able to give you? For snacks? Did you call or email? We've had luck in the MDRs, but never with DCL directly giving us a list (I've asked). Thanks!
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
Mickey3Boys
Aarrgg mi mousies!!!

Just called. They said they don't have it until they get on the ship because sometimes they pull things out of hotels, change brands, etc. They told me to go to restaurant when we board before lunch so they can go ahead and start preparing our lunch. Guess that's what they'll do. They said I could read labels then if I want.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
suffieldhockeymom
DIS Veteran

The most important thing is to fill out the special diets form and send it ASAP so that they are prepared. My son is allergic to milk and soy and has an egg and wheat intolerance. They were great in answering all my questions about ingredients. If there are specific items on brands, ask them. We asked for Rice Dream ice cream and they had multiple flavors available and our servers kept offering it at every meal. They are great about allergies.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #12
geffric
DH thinks I'm funny -- but I tell him it's like a hobby!
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework
I have LOTS of really nice Disney loving friends

DCL is very good with Allergies. I even had my own chef on the Wonder 14 day, that made food for me or watched out for me all of the time.

Go to the MDR sign up after you board the ship and make sure they have the allergy mark on the computer system. One can also go through that night's menu and pick out foods so the kitchen can make modifications.

geffric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #13
lorenni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffieldhockeymom
The most important thing is to fill out the special diets form and send it ASAP so that they are prepared. My son is allergic to milk and soy and has an egg and wheat intolerance. They were great in answering all my questions about ingredients. If there are specific items on brands, ask them. We asked for Rice Dream ice cream and they had multiple flavors available and our servers kept offering it at every meal. They are great about allergies.
Where do you find this form? I didn't see it with the check in documentation available online. In fact, the special request form I saw had a paragraph that said they can assist with some dietary needs like kosher and diabetic but no guarantees. And it had no place at all to list dietary needs.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #14
Mickey3Boys
Aarrgg mi mousies!!!

I sent mine via email to special services and it's in the system because they started listing them to our Travelocity Travel agent. Guess we'll have to wait. Any luck with bringing things like your own choc chips for them to make choc chip cookies for soy allergy kids? I really hope there is something fun they can eat! I'm confident they will be able to eat meals. My kids are the ones who can't have any candy at school, no birthday party treats, or pizza, etc. We have everything made especially for their allergies. Fresh-made usually works best, though.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #15
dbarker
Mouseketeer
You can't miss my DH. He's a big burly USMC redneck w/ a fanny pack and acting like a kid who can't wait for the next ride at WDW.

I'd like to know where this form is also. I'm allergic to corn, soy, barley and MSG.
dbarker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: