Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
RunnerMomO
Mouseketeer

So we had dinner at Boma's last night and I realized we are paying for our 11 year old as an adult on the buffet. This frustrates me as he doesn't eat as much as an adult and he SHOULDN'T eat as much as an adult. Any thoughts out there on why Disney chooses to say a 10 year old is eating as an adult? It doesn't make sense to me. Especially since I am pretty sure nutrition guidelines would not say a 10 year old should be eating same portions as an adult. I love Boma's but suppose we won't bother going back until my son eats more like a teenager. LOL.
RunnerMomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
deserrai
DIS Veteran

I couldn't agree more. I assume the age range is because 10 years old is the start of adult pricing for the tickets so they use the same age range for dining. My kids are 3 and 18 so I haven't had to deal with that issue, but when DD3 hits 10 years old, you can bet we will be doing CS only or no buffets until she gets bigger!

deserrai is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserrai View Post
I couldn't agree more. I assume the age range is because 10 years old is the start of adult pricing for the tickets so they use the same age range for dining.
That is my guess as well.

Yes, it's a bit absurd, but I have met a few 10 year olds (I was one) who could eat as much as an adult. It sure does make it hard on families though.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
Quin
DIS Veteran

Whether they SHOULD or not, there are 8 year olds who eat more than I do. No one is going to be happy with any particular age as the dividing line. Disney uses age 10 for all things 'adult'. Before you know it your 11 year old will turn into a bottomless pit, and then for a few years buffets will be your ONLY viable dining choice because otherwise you'd go broke feeding him.

And as it is, there are an equal number of complaints about the under-10s having to eat 'kids meals' choices when they want adult food at the non-buffet TS restaurants. Just choose the type of dining that works out best for your family.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:07 AM   #5
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin View Post
Whether they SHOULD or not, there are 8 year olds who eat more than I do. No one is going to be happy with any particular age as the dividing line. Disney uses age 10 for all things 'adult'. Before you know it your 11 year old will turn into a bottomless pit, and then for a few years buffets will be your ONLY viable dining choice because otherwise you'd go broke feeding him.

And as it is, there are an equal number of complaints about the under-10s having to eat 'kids meals' choices when they want adult food at the non-buffet TS restaurants. Just choose the type of dining that works out best for your family.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry you got all the way to Boma's before you realized that your DS was an adult for dinner pricing. As PP have said, it is a well publicized fact and frequently debated here on the DIS.
I remember the junior pricing. I liked it and was sorry to see it go. But go it did. So now the decision is yours to make as to where you eat based on Disney pricing.
As already said, no one age cutoff will meet everyone's needs. We have seen many different examples on this thread, and on every thread about this.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:42 AM   #7
JeffreyY

The time this most bothered me was when my kids were over 10 and we went to HDDR, had to pay adult prices but they couldn't drink the achohol that was included and we paid for. Now I don't drink but at least I would have been allowed to, they of course were not. In that case I think there should have been a junior price for those 10 thru 20 who are not allowed to drink.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
chartle
DIS Veteran

For the the posts that want a different price for kids aged from x to y, that will never happen due to the the Dark Sith Lord that is the Disney Dining Plan.

While its easy to talk about tiered pricing for buffets, how does this work for normal meals?

Last edited by chartle; 02-19-2013 at 07:56 AM.
chartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #9
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyY View Post
The time this most bothered me was when my kids were over 10 and we went to HDDR, had to pay adult prices but they couldn't drink the achohol that was included and we paid for. Now I don't drink but at least I would have been allowed to, they of course were not. In that case I think there should have been a junior price for those 10 thru 20 who are not allowed to drink.
Whenever you do a Disney show or buffet the thing to keep in mind is a lot of what you are paying for is the show, or the characters.

To me, it would make more sense for HDDR to just have adults pay for an adult beverages they wanted to drink. Makes no more sense to charge a 21yr old for alcohol they don't drink that it does to charge a 18yr old.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #10
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

No matter where they put the cutoff, there are going to be those who are not satisfied. If they put it at 18 there will be those posting declaring that their 18 year old will only eat a bowl of salad and they shouldn't be paying the full price.

Why 10? Because that's where the ticket cutoff is, and with the dining plan an attempt is being made to link all that together, which will get carried further with the next generation system. For dining the cutoff used to be 13. But they lowered the dining age to match the tickets rather than raising the ticket age to match the dining.

As to why they won't remove money from the charge for guests at HDDR who don't drink, or guests at CRT or Akershus who don't want the photo package, that is the nature of an all-inclusive event. You pay one price and it includes everything - the show, the tip, the booze for HDDR, the photos at CRT. Any of that can be declined but the price won't change. Just like if you go on a cruise and you prefer not to eat lunch even though it's included - they won't remove the cost of lunch from your fare.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
Crystal Brewer
Mouseketeer

Certainly feel your pain!! This will be our first WDW when acquiring DDP it was explained I would be charged adult price for DS12 he weighs 72lbs lol Not to say he doesn't "eat as adults" just not the amount (luvs steak) I wanted full experience so made the leap in scope tho made all Character meal ADRs with buffets hoping DS16 makes up for younger brother Also added pp+ so we'll have great memories either way**
Crystal Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
Paging Tom Morrow
DIS Veteran

Perspective is everything.

Disney offers discounts for those nine and under. They fully disclose a difference in those prices.

Would you feel better if there was another pricing tier for 10 through 16 year olds at the current adult prices, and those 17 and older would pay an additional $5 cost?

I have no problem with the way Disney elects to price their meals. The costs are fully disclosed and it's my choice whether to spend my money for those services offered. Of course, this is one of the reasons why we elect to eat some meals off-site and avoid some buffets.
Boardwalk Villas - 2006, 2012
Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa - 2009, 2013
Contemporary Resort - 2002
Yacht Club - 2004
Walt Disney Swan - 2005
Old Key West - 2012
Polynesian Resort - 2014
Paging Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
6disneykids
Mouseketeer

There is a consistent complaint about the prices for kids between 10-12 Disney adults. I think maybe some tier for that age group, somewhere between the child's price and the adult price would be great, I have 2 of the 6 that are now Disney adults, but they do eat more than I do, however DD9 can pass for 7. So, while it sounds great in theory, 2 price levels 3-9 and 10+ simplifies the system. With whatever age is set to be considered an adult, there will be some family who will not be happy because their child at whatever age is charged the adult price.
6disneykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

And of course, let's not forget to factor in some seniors who revert back to eating more like 9 year olds. Honestly, the only truly fair solution would be to weigh people's plates and charge them by the ounce/pound like your local grocery store does with its salad bar, but that just feels icky at a nice restaurant. I can walk in to Boma with a defensive lineman in the NFL, both of us being "adults", and the idea that we should be charged the same amount is absurd. In fact, I am guessing here (and I truly mean guessing), that the discrepency in food consumed as between a petite female adult and a hefty eating male adult is far greater than the difference between a typical 11 year old and his parent. Age simply isn't that much of a factor. The pricing is an odd truth that we simply have to live with unless and until somebody comes up with a better idea.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #15
TheRustyScupper
Seeing isn't Believing. Believing is Seeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerMomO View Post
So we had dinner at Boma's last night and I realized we are paying for our 11 year old as an adult on the buffet. This frustrates me as he doesn't eat as much as an adult and he SHOULDN'T eat as much as an adult.
1) At one time, WDW had four divisions
. . . infant (under 3)
. . . child (3-12)
. . . junior (13-17)
. . . adult (18+)
2) This applied to ride/admission tickets and some meal prices.
3) They cut it back to the current infant, child, adult.
4) WDW said it was for simplicity.
5) But, it did more more "juniors" into the adult category for food/tickets.
6) I see no way they would go back.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: