Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
akayf
Mouseketeer

Looks like my family's November vacation is ruined

We have been planning on going in Nov 2013 for over 2 years. We wanted go go when our younger one was 2. I'm a teacher and we always get the first week off in November. We booked our 5 night stay a few weeks ago and just put down the 200 deposit. We purposely picked a Sunday-Friday stay since we knew the following weekend would be busy(there is a marathon on saturday, it's the last weekend of Food and Wine, plus it's Veterans' day weekend)

My school district's super just released the proposed school calender. They want to take away that week in November and give us the entire week of Thanksgiving. Yes we could just switch our vacation to thanksgiving...but isn't it going to be super crowded that week? And more expensive? Plus we would miss Food and Wine.

Our choices are limited because I'm a teacher and just can't take a week off of work. We can rebook for this July or August. However, we don't want to go when it's that hot and crowded with 2 little ones. DH and I did an August trip once and said never again. My kids could barely handle the heat and humidity at Hershey park in this past August....how would they survive August in Florida?!!? Plus, 180 window has been open for all of July and most of aug already and it's going to hard to get the ADRs I want. And the room type we want might not be available or might wind up costing more.

We can't go Christmas week since DH can't take off that week(and I do not want to face those crowds!). And then we face the same crowd issue in April 2014 for Easter.

I am just so so disappointed. We have been planning on going during fall break in 2013 for over 2 years. I hope the board does not approve this calender.

Me DH DS1 (5) DS2 (2)
akayf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Hopefully they change it for your sake. I was there the weekend after Thanksgiving and it actually wasn't too bad!

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Honestly? I'd rebook for Thanksgiving.

You'll miss F&W, but you'll get the holiday decorations and a special Thanksgiving memory. Lots of fun Thanksgiving meals in the World during that time.

It won't be "super crowded" (not as bad as Christmas or summer), but it will be more crowded than it would have been earlier in the month. But of the choices you've listed, it will be the week with the least crowds. And the weather is usually lovely.

You'll have to plan a little differently, but you'll get holiday perks as the trade-off.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

How disappointing. DH and I are both teachers and we originally wanted to go in November. But the more we thought about it, the more we realized it was just too hard to take that time off. And we would have to take a shorter trip. So we just resigned ourselves to June. Not the time we wanted, but at least we know we can take two weeks and not miss anything. Now I'm just waiting to see when DH gets out in June of 2014. His school year lasts in to June further than mine and I'd like to go as early in June as possible.

I hope you find out one way or another soon.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

I understand your disappointed, but how can your vacation be "ruined" if you don't even know that the calendar is in effect? (Am I missing something?) I will agree with what others have said, swicth to Thankssgiving week--LOTS of good things going on then!
Old 02-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Any way you could get a sub to stand in for you that week? Would it be worth it?

larryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
growinupdisney
DIS Veteran

Former teacher here...I would get a sub if you can but if thats not possible go Thanksgiving we have been this time of year and love it. Christmas decorations will be up it will beautiful. We are forced to go during Easter now because of school schedule and the crowds during Thansgiving are no where near like they are at Easter, but we still have a wonderful time and get all the things we want to do done.

There is no better place on Earth than Walt Disney World!
growinupdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
disneynanacat
Lovin' Disney Too!

We went for TG a few years ago and it wasn't busy at all. Against the touring advice we went to MK on TG day expecting to have to leave due to crowds. There were no crowds. We ended up staying all day and that's unusual for us. We even cancelled our TG dinner ADR and ate TG dinner at CHH. We had a blast! Perfect weather too. Besides, I doubt your little ones would get into F&W...
Old 02-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
Lynn57
DIS Veteran

Fellow teacher here. That really stinks! It's great to get the amount of time off that we do, but there is NO flexibility in our schedules and end up in WDW during the craziest times.

I would contact your superintendent and the school board. Tell them that you are aware of the proposed plan and already have vacation plans for that week. A lot of schools in my area are having to use vacation weeks to make up for all of the snow days we've had this year (Sandy and the Blizzard knocked us down!). If you can show that you have already booked a vacation, districts are allowing you to go and not be docked in pay. Show them your reservation confirmations so they know you aren't pulling their leg.

Good luck!
Feb. 2006- Animal Kingdom Lodge- Jambo House
April 2007- Beach Club Villas
Feb. 2011- Bay Lake Towers
Dec. 2011- Villas at Wilderness Lodge
Sept. 2012- Boardwalk Villas (Tower of Terror 10 Mile!)
April 2013- Old Key West
April 2014- Old Key West
Lynn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #10
Pembo
OH-IO

We were there Thanksgiving week a few years back. It was crowded but not like summer. I'd switch to that week. Crowds will be lighter before T-day.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Another teacher here.

Are you sure you don't want to re-think summer? We LOVE going in August. It's the only time of year we go.

It makes those afternoon breaks so much easier. They're good for us as a family, and all I have to say is "Who wants to hit the pool?" and they're good to go. Disney is a lot of things, but it's not Hershey park. There are lots of places to go to beat the heat.

As someone else said, lots of teachers here are losing vacation days, due to the 1-2 punch of Sandy and last week's blizzard.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #12
Brer Shay
compulsive Disney planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
Are you sure you don't want to re-think summer? We LOVE going in August. It's the only time of year we go.

It makes those afternoon breaks so much easier. They're good for us as a family, and all I have to say is "Who wants to hit the pool?" and they're good to go. Disney is a lot of things, but it's not Hershey park. There are lots of places to go to beat the heat.
Another teacher family here too. We've decided that we'd rather do 10-12 days in heat with breaks, than squeeze into 5 long days.

I know it's frustrating though when you've had one plan set for quite a while and administration forces the change (in and out of the classroom). Hope that you are able to come up with an acceptable alternative.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #13
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Thanksgiving is crowded, but not supremely terrible. As long as you avoid MK on Thanksgiving day, you'll be good to go.

Just playing with the dates, I looked at a room at ASMU for those dates. It looks like it would be approximately $44/night more expensive for the room-only.

It's not "peak" dining season for the dining plan, so you wouldn't get an upcharge if you go DDP. If you're paying OOP for meals, expect an upcharge at the fixed-price (buffet and family style) meals.

If you extend all the way through the weekend you can enjoy the Candlelight Processional and some of the Epcot holiday storytellers as well.

Which resort are you looking at?

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
mm1971
DIS Veteran

I would rebook for Thanksgiving week if the schedule changes. It's not too busy that I would not take a vacation and less busy than Christmas, February or April breaks. You miss F &W, but still get the Christmas party if you wish and the weather is still usually pretty nice.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #15
mcraige
DIS Veteran

We went Thanksgiving week 2010 and 2012 (Sat before thru Wed) and crowds were manageable each time. Having a touring plan helped.
Disney World May 1998 - Off Site; September 1998 - Off Site; October 1999 - Off Site; March 2000 - All Star Music; March 2002 - All Star Movies; March 2004 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); March 2006 - Saratoga Springs (DVC); December 2007 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); November 2010 - Old Key West (DVC); July 2011 - Off Site; November 2012 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); March 2013 - Saratoga Springs (DVC); May/June 2014 - Beach Club Villas/Kidani Village Vero Beach March 2004, July 2009 Disney Cruise Line May 2003, July 2009 Disneyland December 2002/January 2003 - Off Site; August 2008 - Off Site
mcraige is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: