Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
cmh314
Mouseketeer

CS Restaurants in Hollywood Studios

I'm looking for a counter service place to have dinner in Hollywood Studios on our arrival day. We'll be getting to the park late afternoon. It will be myself, DH, DS7 and DD4. We've tried Toy Story Pizza Planet last time and did not like it at all. I've looked over the menus on allears.net, but haven't fallen in love with any of them.

Anyone have a favorite CS place in HS? What do you like there? Any places you have had bad experiences at?

We'll be doing a full day at HS later in the week and have a table service meal scheduled at Sci Fi Drive In.

We are not on the DDP.
cmh314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

We liked Fairfax Fare, across from/near Beauty and the Beast.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

We have had luck at Studio Catering Company. They have good sandwiches, our favorite is the buffalo chicken sandwich. Their fries have always been fresh and hot, too.

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
iloveeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
kerri0616
DIS Veteran

We like Backlot Express. Nice angus burgers. Nice turkey panini. Nice drink refill stations. Nice cupcakes over the holidays. So, I guess I'd say it's "nice."

K
Old 02-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
World Showcaser
DIS Veteran

This is a good question. I've only ever eaten at Pizza Planet and, while I do enjoy it, I'm not always in the mood for pizza. It's nice to have some more choices.

The ABC Commissary looks interesting to me. Has anyone tried it?
Old 02-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
MrEVILdrPorkchop2u
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Showcaser
This is a good question. I've only ever eaten at Pizza Planet and, while I do enjoy it, I'm not always in the mood for pizza. It's nice to have some more choices.

We have tried it and didn't care for it. It wasn't bad, just wasn't a place that made us say we needed to ever go back. Our favorite CS is Staring Rolls. I just wish their hours weren't a limited.
MrEVILdrPorkchop2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
DisneyStarWisher
Love My DVC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Showcaser View Post

ABC Commissary is probably the worst dining experience I've ever had!!! My family and I joke about it now, but it wasn't funny at the time. We've never thrown away food after just a few bites until then. The food was inedible!!! You couldn't pay us any amount of money to eat there!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

We always choose Backlot Express. Nice a/c and if you sit at the forward tables, you can watch JTA while you eat! It's also a great place to watch the Countdown to Fun parade as the parade start location is next to Backlot.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
goofy4prez
DIS Dads Club Member #484
I hate the Steelers & Ravens like a mother loves a child!!!!

Quote:

ABC Commissary is perhaps the worst rated restaurant whether CS or TS in WDW here on the DIS as well as on many other Disney forum sites. I have been there twice: The first time the food was so absolutely horrendous I'm surprised the garbage can didn't spit it back out at us. I chalked it up to a "bad" day and tried it again a couple of years later. Shame on me, never ever will I try this place again. I have heard some say the place has improved, but I will never find out for myself. This was the worst dining experience (twice) I have ever encountered in WDW and among the worst outside of WDW.

Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs
goofy4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #10
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerri0616 View Post
We like Backlot Express. Nice angus burgers. Nice turkey panini. Nice drink refill stations. Nice cupcakes over the holidays. So, I guess I'd say it's "nice."

K
My choice for CS

Quote:

ABC Commissary is HORRIBLE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckodani View Post
Fairfax Fare, or Starring Rolls (sandwiches only, and I'm not sure how late they serve them).
Starring Rolls closes at 4pm and its not uncommon for them to run out of food before then!

IMHO, DHS has the poorest CS choices of all the parks.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbabyblues View Post
We liked Fairfax Fare, across from/near Beauty and the Beast.
That is my vote as well. I loved the Chicken Curry Bowl that they used to serve at the ABC Comm, but it is no longer on the menu. I don't really find anything on that menu that appeals to me anymore.

If you are getting in to the park "late afternoon", you might want to consider having "lunner", (lunch/dinner) at a sit down like 50's Prime Time.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #12
Peachkins
DIS Veteran

I've heard horrible things about ABC Comissary. Never been there myself, and don't plan on going.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:04 AM   #13
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

Consider checking out the Beach Club/Yacht Club/Boardwalk areas instead? They are within walking distance/boat of HS. I know you aren't interested in TS, but I am a big fan of Captain's Grille at YC.

If we hadn't done this for our last trip...I would have gone for sushi (or a turkey sandwhich) and a cupcake at Starring Rolls.
letsgoreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #14
JoshuaShaw
DIS Veteran

The Sunset Ranch Market is pretty good, if not particularly glamorous. I would recommend to avoid Pizza Planet.
JoshuaShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #15
disneyhorselover
Rebel Spy

I would go for Backlot Express. I've only had the chicken nuggets there, once with the carrot sticks and once with fries. Everything was good and there was plenty of seating.

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."

March 1996 (Swan),March 2008 (CBR), March 2009 (POP), May 2010 (Swan), January 2013 (AoA),
February 2014 (AS Sports and BWV)

October 2014 (POP) for the ToT 10 Miler!
January 2015 (AS Movies) for the Goofy Challenge!
disneyhorselover is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: