Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
woodies05
Earning My Ears

Family of 5 HELP PLEASE

Hi there fellow Disney Lovers, My wife and 3 kids really want to head
across to Orlando this year, But I can't seem to find reasonably priced accommodation for the 5 of us onsite..
can anyone help shed some light on my best options?
kids are 12 9 and 3.

Cheers
Brendan
woodies05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

What is your overall budget?

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
vicb224
Mouseketeer

We have had that dilemma quite a few times in the past. We tried a few different options, and it really all depends on your family and budget.
In my opinion, your kids are young enough now where you can get away with one bathroom still. If I were you I'd book a room in the alligator bayou section if Port Orleans riverside. There are 2 queen beds and a pull down Murphy bed plenty big enough for your youngest 2.
Other than that, a family suite in one of the value resorts (Muslc or the new Art of Animation) would be good too. Kids would appreciate the theme, too. Check them both out
Good luck to you
vicb224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
woodies05
Earning My Ears

Budget

Thanks for the Advice
I guess the budget would be an avg of $100-$120 per night..
as were coming across from Australia with 5 of us so it's a huge
trip to make.

Cheers
Brendan
woodies05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #5
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

You will likely need to look for offsite accommodations for the budget amount you had in mind. There are some very nice places in the Downtown Disney area.

You might check out this thread:

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15

The Marriott Courtyard, Hilton, and a few other hotels in that area can fit a family of five.

Good luck to you!

Old 02-17-2013, 01:20 AM   #6
gilesmt
DIS Veteran

Port Orlands riverside, but you have to ask for alligator bayou or a preferred room. It will have to be in the value season with the price range, like August, sept or jan. the rooms are not huge but you can make it work. The Murphy bed may make it a little bigger, last time we stayed they still had the trundles so it took up more room on the floor, but the Murphy bed looks much nicer. In off season you are looking at about $130 if they have a discount, I think that is the cheapest you will find.

You asked for on sight, as far as I know that is it for 5, unless you do a suite or two rooms and that would be over your budget by a lot.
gilesmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:55 AM   #7
nherbert
Earning My Ears

Port Orleans riverside alligator bayou is definitely your best option, we just stayed there and it was great. Go during a value season and when there is a 30% off sale and it will be well in budget - eg January (don't worry Florida winter is still very hot).
The next best option is AoA family suite, we loved this, but you will need to 35% off sale to bring it remotely near your budget. Again we went injanuary.

I think February, September are also pretty cheap - the value season - and also have good sales.

You can book and if a sale comes up you can apply retrospectively to your booking if it meets the conditions - we do this ALL the time.
nherbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesmt View Post
Port Orlands riverside, but you have to ask for alligator bayou or a preferred room. It will have to be in the value season with the price range, like August, sept or jan. the rooms are not huge but you can make it work. The Murphy bed may make it a little bigger, last time we stayed they still had the trundles so it took up more room on the floor, but the Murphy bed looks much nicer. In off season you are looking at about $130 if they have a discount, I think that is the cheapest you will find.

You asked for on sight, as far as I know that is it for 5, unless you do a suite or two rooms and that would be over your budget by a lot.
I think the discounts for the moderates is lower than for deluxes, usually 25% vs. 30-35 for the Deluxe. I think you can probably get POR for between $140-160 per night. For the Spring offer (I looked at May 11-18), it's $2553 including tickets. If you got the 8 day tickets by themselves it's $1548, which makes the 7 day room cost about $142.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodies05 View Post
across to Orlando this year, But I can't seem to find reasonably priced accommodation for the 5 of us onsite..
kids are 12 9 and 3.

Cheers
Brendan

I agree with most posters. Port Orleans - Riverside is the best value for family of 5. It is less than a family suite at a value. We have stayed there in the past. It is a lovely resort. Nice pool, food court, etc. Rooms are not huge but would be fine for your aged children. Still might be just a little over your quoted budget even with a discount. If you can swing it, it would be a nice place to stay for your family.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
cm8
Half of the time we're rushing around to get things done last minute or we realize we're running behind so we need to catch up

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodies05 View Post
kids are 12 9 and 3.

Cheers
Brendan
When do you want to travel? I see your budget is about $120 night.
Maybe you could travel with another family to split some cost.

Have you considered renting points

If you wanted to travel in the next week and 3 days, PM me I may be able to help

"I have placed the Lord ever before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken." Psalm 16:8

cm8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: