Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 06:20 AM   #1
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

What is up with the LUNCH & DINNER combined MENU's?

Hey ALL!

Happy Thursday! We are headed to Disney today and noticed on the Sci Fi menu and the 50's Prime Time menu that the dinner and lunch menu's are the same. So essentially we will be paying DINNER PRICES at lunch time. Is that right? If so I really find this very disconcerning to say the least.

What do you guy's/girl's think?

Thanks again!

Brunette
Old 02-14-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette8706 View Post
Hey ALL!

Happy Thursday! We are headed to Disney today and noticed on the Sci Fi menu and the 50's Prime Time menu that the dinner and lunch menu's are the same. So essentially we will be paying DINNER PRICES at lunch time. Is that right? If so I really find this very disconcerning to say the least.

Thanks again!

Brunette
Or if you look at the half full glass rather than the half empty glass, you are paying LUNCH prices for dinner.
I am sure this is a way to reduce food costs, and I think it is fine.
If you aren't happy, look for another restaurant. There are over 100.
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
OhThePain
DIS Veteran

I don't see the issue. Tons of restaurants outside of WDW use just 1 menu and 1 set of prices all day. For example, if you go to Applebees or a diner or something you are going to pay the same price for a burger at 11AM and 10PM. Do you find that disconcerning too?

1988- Contemporary Resort / 1990- Big Red Boat and Buena Vista Palace / 1993- CBR / 1997- ASMusic / 1998- CBR / 1998- ASSports / 2008/9- POR / 2009- Convention at Gaylord Palms / 2010- POR / 2011- AKL-CL (with 3 "bonus" nights AKL non-CL) / 2013-BWV / 2014- POR
OhThePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:49 AM   #4
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Hi you guys!

Thanks for your quick response. I did look at the All Ears menu and it looks like they have more expensive menu items (dinner prices) for lunch. For example the lunch prices used to be very reasonable with burgers/fries various sandwiches all of which were under $12.00. It's not the case anymore the prices seem to be much more expensive. I know, it sounds like I am whining (I guess I am, lol). But, I just find it more and more annoying. First the holiday pricing, which can span over a few months now this. AGHHH! lol!

Of course we may check out other restaurants.

Okay, that was just my .02 cents.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I would find it annoying too. We purposely eat our bigger meals at lunch time and traditionally it has helped a bit with budget. I guess that some people see that as a bad thing but I don't.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi you guys!

Thanks for your quick response. I did look at the All Ears menu and it looks like they have more expensive menu items (dinner prices) for lunch. For example the lunch prices used to be very reasonable with burgers/fries various sandwiches all of which were under $12.00. It's not the case anymore the prices seem to be much more expensive. I know, it sounds like I am whining (I guess I am, lol). But, I just find it more and more annoying. First the holiday pricing, which can span over a few months now this. AGHHH! lol!

Of course we may check out other restaurants.

Okay, that was just my .02 cents.
I understand your point, but I do think you are looking at it wrong. They are not charging more for the same item at lunch. By that I mean they aren't suddenly charging $25 for a burger. They aren't offering it at all. They aren't charging more for the steak at lunch than they used to at dinner.
They have taken away the less expensive burgers and sandwiches and they offer more complete dinner like meals.
I agree with TDC Nala, I think we are going to see this more and more.
Personally, I am fine with it.
I can eat QS if I want a burger. If I want a TS meal at lunch time, I expect to pay the TS price.
Good Luck
Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

The above is pretty much what I was told about the Prime Time all day menu, by someone who works there, as I usually went in to have a sandwich at the bar. They removed all the sandwiches from the menu when it went all-day.

The CM there said the thinking behind it was that if a guest wanted a sandwich, they could get one at counter service.

Don't know how much insight most individual CMs have, but hey. Sci Fi still has sandwiches on their menu, but no bar that you can just walk into at lunchtime.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #8
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhThePain View Post
I don't see the issue. Tons of restaurants outside of WDW use just 1 menu and 1 set of prices all day. For example, if you go to Applebees or a diner or something you are going to pay the same price for a burger at 11AM and 10PM. Do you find that disconcerning too?
Most restaurants outside WDW have a different menu for lunch or a lunch specials menu or a reduced portion size and price. I haven't been to Applebee's in about a year, but there was most definitely a lunch menu with specials that were significantly cheaper than dinner (Pick N Pair). At least for a weekday lunch.
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #9
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

This has been going on for a while. It has several advantages for Disney.

Same price at lunch versus dinner - no "discount" for eating lunch.

People on the dining plan aren't flocking to dinner, since dinner isn't more expensive, so they spread out the demand a bit.

Restaurants don't have to keep two sets of ingredients on hand or have a separate prep period between lunch and dinner.

I think you will see this popping up at more WDW restaurants in the future, particularly those inside the parks.

Besides the restaurants at DHS (and it's all the restaurants that have the all-day menu now, not just Sci-Fi) Le Cellier now has an all day menu. So does Via Napoli, but they've had one since they opened.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:07 AM   #10
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

I don't see a problem with the combined menu because they have items on both end of the price range. The Reuben is only $12.49 and other options are available under$15 while they have a few heavier and more expensive dinner type options (ie. steak ). As long as its balanced this way it doesn't bother me.
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #11
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hey ALL!

Thanks again!

Brunette
At least it's stopped all the "I see burgers on the menu at Sci Fi for lunch but not for dinner. Can I still order a burger at dinner?" posts.

I personally don't mind it at all. I'm not a huge eater and it's nice to be able to get lighter things or sandwiches at dinner. I can see the prices, I can see the selection and I can make my choices based on the current menu. If I don't see anything I want/like, I go somewhere else.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
mickeysbestfriend
DIS Veteran

My only problem with the

all day menu is that some of the best sandwiches are gone! Most counter services have not picked up these on their menus. As to the burgers, the TS burgers have always been better than the CS ones.

They took the steak off 50's menu as well as the shrimp cocktails that I loved!

DVC owner-Old Key West
Stockholder
Annual pass holder
TIW member (hate the name)

http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers...wtac9ku7u8.png
mickeysbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: