Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
brennanfamily2004
Earning My Ears

Question Wounded Warrior/Purple Heart Marine

Has anyone with a Wounded Warrior ever sailed? We are going on a 4 night cruise coming up in a couple weeks and I am just trying to brace myself for what might lie ahead.

My DH is a disable, Purple HEart Marine Corps Veteran. He has severe PTSD, Moderate TBI, and some physical limitations. If any of you have someone in your life with these or other war related ailments, please let me know if there is anything I can expect.
brennanfamily2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
reagansmom
Mouseketeer

I can't answer your question, but I look forward to being on the cruise with you and your family. If you have any specific questions regarding the cruise, I may be able to answer them. Thank you to your DH and your family for his service.
reagansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
NWmom
DIS Veteran

Mom of a special needs kiddo with PTSD and a few other diagnoses.

In the theatre they shoot streamers out toward the audience on a regular basis.

Also the use of the dry ice fog makes a loud noise.
There are some very bright sudden lights in several of the shows that could startle.

Pirate show was okay as it was pirates so the unexpected things were expected if that makes sense.

If in a wheelchair- you need to be at show entrance 30 minutes ahead for priority seating/

May you have a wonderful cruise
Old 02-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
Kewz1
DIS Veteran

You can request a table just for your family. I can't remember who you call but hopefully someone here can point you in the right direction.

I did this on our last cruise. My husband lost some of his hearing while in Iraq and has a difficult time in loud situations.

God bless you and your husband. I hope you have a wonderful time. And thank you both for your service to our country.

Kristen
Disney 5K:2003
DCL:2000, 2008, 2011, 2013, 2014
Kewz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

First I'd like to thank both you and your husband for your service.

I can't really help with your question other than what's already been provided. I would suggest that the fireworks on Pirate night may be an issue. Obviously its an individual thing and you and your husband are going to have to play this by ear.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran

My husband suffers some of the same conditions. We requested a table by ourselves so that his hearing loss and social anxiety issues would be minimized. He did have a bit of an issue with some of the Pirate Night show because there was one part that included an unexpected boom. You can watch these shows on Youtube to get a better idea. We had an awesome time and are planning another cruise this fall.
Woodmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennanfamily2004
Has anyone with a Wounded Warrior ever sailed? We are going on a 4 night cruise coming up in a couple weeks and I am just trying to brace myself for what might lie ahead.

My DH is a disable, Purple HEart Marine Corps Veteran. He has severe PTSD, Moderate TBI, and some physical limitations. If any of you have someone in your life with these or other war related ailments, please let me know if there is anything I can expect.
You might also want to be prepared for the muster drill. The emergency horn is LOUD. I believe they make accommodations during the drill, such as allowing you to be inside (?). You should ask about that. They warn you before the horn, so you have time to cover your ears or put in earplugs. But it's quite crowded at the drill, so be sure to inquire about your options. Have a GREAT cruise and thank you for your family's service!

ETA: Edited for typo
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: