Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
Antonia
DIS Veteran

Location: Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina . . .

Is our house haunted?

We have lived in this house for three years. We are the second family to live here. First family divorced. House is 15 years old on a nice cul de sac. Our neighborhood acreage used to be a family farm that was sold and divided into lots for houses.
DH's father's ashes moved here with us when we moved in.
In the past year, we have a touch lamp upstairs that turns on by itself. Also I looked for a missing pool ball in our gameroom. Even crawled on my hands and knees to locate it and it could not be found. Two days later, I went upstairs and the missing pool ball was very prominently laying in the center of the doorway to the gameroom.
We buried DFIL's ashes in his family plot. I just didn't like having them here. Wierd I know.
Today an old deck of cards bearing our last name (and the last name of DFIL) wrapped in a decaying rubber band, appeared in a curio cabinet in our living room. DH says he did not put them there and I have never seen them before today. DH picked them up and the rubber band broke it is so old. His parents had that deck of cards when he was growing up. I love this house and I don't want to feel wierd about it. Anybody else have any strange happenings?
May 2008 - RCCL Mariner of the Seas!
Who knows? First grandchild on the way!!!
May 2009 New Orleans!!!
June 2010 Myrtle Beach!
September 2011 - VWL - New DVC Members! And with 2nd grandchild!
Antonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
LuvinLucifer
Mouseketeer

You sould read Mary Ann Winkowski's book "When Ghosts Speak". She was the inspiration for Jennifer Love Hewitt's character on the Ghost Whisperer.
LuvinLucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
kaligal
DIS Veteran

Duplicate
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinLucifer View Post
You sould read Mary Ann Winkowski's book "When Ghosts Speak". She was the inspiration for Jennifer Love Hewitt's character on the Ghost Whisperer.
....James Van Praagh is also a consultant for the show....
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
kimmar067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
kaligal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonia View Post
We have lived in this house for three years. We are the second family to live here. First family divorced. House is 15 years old on a nice cul de sac. Our neighborhood acreage used to be a family farm that was sold and divided into lots for houses.
DH's father's ashes moved here with us when we moved in.
In the past year, we have a touch lamp upstairs that turns on by itself. Also I looked for a missing pool ball in our gameroom. Even crawled on my hands and knees to locate it and it could not be found. Two days later, I went upstairs and the missing pool ball was very prominently laying in the center of the doorway to the gameroom.
We buried DFIL's ashes in his family plot. I just didn't like having them here. Wierd I know.
Today an old deck of cards bearing our last name (and the last name of DFIL) wrapped in a decaying rubber band, appeared in a curio cabinet in our living room. DH says he did not put them there and I have never seen them before today. DH picked them up and the rubber band broke it is so old. His parents had that deck of cards when he was growing up. I love this house and I don't want to feel wierd about it. Anybody else have any strange happenings?
No. Your house is not haunted.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

Don't believe in ghosts...fun to talk about, but don't believe it exists.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
deedeetoo
DIS Veteran

I don't believe in haunted houses. First question, do you have kids or a cat? Either one could explain the lamp and the ball. The lamp could also be an electric short. Kids could also explain the deck of cards. If you don't have kids, did you have anyone visit recently who could have put the cards there? Maybe dh sbling, cousin, etc. Someone could have left the cards and forgot to mention it. I'm sure there is a rational explanation for everything.
deedeetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
marmalade
DIS Veteran

I think anything is possible.
marmalade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
Turn the Page
DIS Veteran

I lived in a house in Kentucky for several years that was haunted. My invisible roomies enjoyed playing with my DD's electronic type toys and turning on the microwave at 2:30 in the morning. The first time the microwave thing happened I was woken up to it beeping like it was done. Of course it's one of the models you have to open and close the door to get it to shut up so I dragged myself out of bed to go make it be quiet and immediately went back to sleep. A few minutes later I was awoken by the beeping again. So now I get kinda freaked out and go and check on DD to make sure she was asleep (she was but it didn't really matter since she couldn't reach the microwave anyway) and check the house for microwave using intruders (everything was clear) and climb back in bed. This time I was doing the huddled under the covers wide-eyed staring thing. I didn't fall directly back to sleep this time and a few minutes later heard the buttons being pressed and the friggin thing turn on!!! I unplugged it after that.

In theory I didn't mind when my invisible roomies use my kitchen appliances. I would just prefer it be during waking hours. And if they are going to use my microwave at 2:30 in the morning they could at least have the decency to make me a midnight snack. I really don't think that's asking too much.

Someone suggested that it could be a fried mother board in the microwave. These incidents occured about 5 years ago now. I still have the same microwave but left the state two years ago. The microwave always behaves itself now. I don't think a fried motherboard magically fixed itself.

I have stories from that house that would make some peoples hair curl. I am quite happy with my invisible roomie free apartment.
Turn the Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #10
Nola Girl
Mouseketeer

I grew up with a ghost. My parents sought out help and were told if it was a good spirit it would leave if asked. Mom finally asked "her" to leave after baby brother was born as he was really afraid of the lady who came in his room at night.
Some of us are more sensitive. Once on vacation I was awakened repeatedly by a spirit every night for the entire week. I was miserable. No one else in the family felt or saw a thing! I was very afraid it would follow me home. Thankfully it did not. I was pretty sure it was a young child because it would shake me awake the exact way my kids did. We were traveling with a large group of friends and they had so much fun laughing at my expense! Thankfully my sister was with us and was TOTALLY jealous that the ghost picked me and not her. When we were kids the ghost preferred her so she was sure all ghosts would prefer her! Anyway she let everyone know that I was not insane.
I do think some things we think are ghosts are not, like the time I smelled pipe smoke and no one else did. My grandfather had just died so I was sure it was a sign. Well a few weeks later I smelled smoke again and then got a major migraine. I realized I was starting to suffer from olfactory auras. No ghosts. But I know what I saw with my own eyes.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #11
mommyjam
Mouseketeer

I have only had one strange experience. My daughter is named for my best friend that died when we were in high school. I always liked to think that my "friend" was watching over my daughter. When DD was 3 I was visiting my parents, they live in a split level house so you enter the front foyer then go up 3 stairs to the living room. My daughter sat down at the top of the stairs in the living room to take off her shoes. When she pulled it off, she pulled too hard and fell backwards. I panicked, but before I could get to her she just stopped in mid air, she was sitting still but laying straight back over the edge of the stairs. She kind of hovered there and then sat right back up like it was nothing. My mom and SIL and I just stared at each other, there was no way she could have laid that far back and sat back up without falling. We asked her how she did it and she said she felt someone push her back up.
mommyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #12
starwood
This mouse GOT her next cruise
I won't even tell my DH what I'm doing. He already thinks I'm nuts

Our house is over 70 years old and we have lived here for over 30 years. When we first moved in we had a lamp that was on a timer. The lamp didn't come on one day and I thought the bulb was burnt so I replaced it. It still didn't work. Turns out the lamp was shut off at the switch. DH swears he didn't do it. Then the radiators would be shut off for no reason. But the best was a few years ago when DS and DH were visiting DH's mother. It was just me, the 3 cats and the dog. DH never closes the doors on his armoire. I was in bed watching TV and I glanced over at the armoire. I watched the top right door slowly swing shut. There were no open windows or cars going by. It has never done it since.

Environmentallity Begins With You
starwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #13
Clio
Mouseketeer

I don't have any ghosts in my house but the store I work in has two. One is the man who owned the property the store is located on. He just wanders around and doesn't do anything most of the time. The other one likes to play with the paint mixer and the photo processor. One of them did pull one of my friends away from a falling shelf in her office. We've just gotten used to them being around.
Liz
Clio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #14
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

We have a fan/light combo that turns off and on by itself every now and then. My brother is an electrician and checked the wiring and the wall switch and everything is fine. We thought it was the remote so I took the batteries out one day and it still did it that night. If DH and I talk about it, the light either comes on or turns off or the fan turns on. It is very strange so we just stopped talking about it.

I am not saying that it is a ghost but I am one of those people that believes anything is possible.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #15
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

I do not think your house is haunted. I love spooky/creepy stories but I have never seen anything that's made me believe in ghosts. I've even been ghost hunting, and nothing!
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo! 10/2014 CBR
ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: