Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

Anyone Else Not Like New Orleans?

We just got home last night from a 3-week vacation, with New Orleans being our first stop. I enjoyed the hotel we stayed at, Le Richelieu, and we had the Paul McCartney suite (he spent a month there years ago) so that was awesome! The French Quarter is unique and I did enjoy walking around there, during the day. Bourbon Street was , a world all its own. We were there in the early evening and it was already getting rowdy, I can't even imagine what it's like when more people are drunk! And its too bad they don't have public restrooms. The street might smell better if they did.

It didn't help that I got sick on a Greek Salad at the Gazebo Cafe near the Farmer's Market. I don't like the taste of basil, and they sprinkled basil liberally all over the salad. I was hungry, so ate about half. Big mistake. Couldn't even eat dinner that night with the rest of our group at Le Bayou. I tried soup, but couldn't even eat that. Spent a rotten night, then basically caught up on sleep the next day. So, that didn't help, I'm sure.

Enjoyed walking around the Farmer's Market the third day, and I had a fruit cup while DH had a po boy sandwich. I was going to eat a few of his fries but again, they sprinkled basil all over them.

We had breakfast one morning at The Old Coffee Pot, that was nice but the bathroom was strange. Two toilets in the ladies room, but no door separating. And the sink, for both men's and ladies bathrooms, was outside in the hallway.

I enjoyed sitting at the Musical Legends Park, listening to some nice jazz, but our group wanted to move on so I was outvoted on staying. Never did get to listen to any zydeco music.

Lots of chaos and traffic while we were there, but they were getting ready for the Super Bowl the next weekend so it was understandable.

Everything is so expensive though. We had thought about a carriage ride but not at $90 for 30-minutes. We did take one of the bike taxis but even that was $30 for 12 blocks.

Enjoyed seeing it once, but really don't ever care to go back.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

We went to NOLA once, but never again. Whatever charm the city is supposed to have was largely lost on me. The city reminds me of The Picture of Dorian Gray. At night, it is Dorian, but when the lights come on and you can see the reality, it's the picture. We enjoyed some of the trip, but not enough to ever return.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

I live about 90 minutes away from NO.

I think possibly, to have a good time in NO, you need to approach it the way a first timer needs to approach WDW - with lots of planning and lots and lots of questions to people who know the terrain.

I'm left wondering - did you do a walking tour of the French Quarter? Did you see the 1855 house? St. Louis Cathedral? Do the tour of St. Louis #1? The Presbytre? Did you go to the Aquarium? The Insectarium? The Museum at the US Mint? The WWII museum? Did you ride the riverboat? Why didn't you stop and just sit at Cafe du Monde for a while with beignets and cafe au lait? Did you check the crowd levels before you decided on that particular weekend and realize how many people would be there? Or read up on where the good public restrooms are? (Yes, there are some. You just have to know where they are - they're sort of tucked into the museums and national park stuff.) Did you check the map to find where Bourbon street was so you could make one pass to see the spectacle and then avoid it. (We take first timers through there once for a couple of blocks, and then we're done and do something that's really fun in the Quarter.)

I honestly didn't even recognize any of the restaurants you named - that doesn't mean other people won't, and I could have just missed them, but still, that gave me pause. I and all the other Southeast Louisiana folks would've happily steered you to the best eateries in the city. (These days I am in love with Couchon's for a good sit down meal and Boucherie, which a sandwich shop at the back of Couchon's, for a quick meal.)

I'm really sorry you had a bad time, but NO is a city that does take planning ahead to really enjoy - just like a Disney trip!
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
NYEmomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarlingcoyote View Post
I live about 90 minutes away from NO.

I think possibly, to have a good time in NO, you need to approach it the way a first timer needs to approach WDW - with lots of planning and lots and lots of questions to people who know the terrain.

I'm left wondering - did you do a walking tour of the French Quarter? Did you see the 1855 house? St. Louis Cathedral? Do the tour of St. Louis #1? The Presbytre? Did you go to the Aquarium? The Insectarium? The Museum at the US Mint? The WWII museum? Did you ride the riverboat? Why didn't you stop and just sit at Cafe du Monde for a while with beignets and cafe au lait? Did you check the crowd levels before you decided on that particular weekend and realize how many people would be there? Or read up on where the good public restrooms are? (Yes, there are some. You just have to know where they are - they're sort of tucked into the museums and national park stuff.) Did you check the map to find where Bourbon street was so you could make one pass to see the spectacle and then avoid it. (We take first timers through there once for a couple of blocks, and then we're done and do something that's really fun in the Quarter.)

I honestly didn't even recognize any of the restaurants you named - that doesn't mean other people won't, and I could have just missed them, but still, that gave me pause. I and all the other Southeast Louisiana folks would've happily steered you to the best eateries in the city. (These days I am in love with Couchon's for a good sit down meal and Boucherie, which a sandwich shop at the back of Couchon's, for a quick meal.)

I'm really sorry you had a bad time, but NO is a city that does take planning ahead to really enjoy - just like a Disney trip!

All the things you mentioned are must see's/do's for us. I am a planner by nature so just about every vacation we go on is planned, in detail, for months in advance... it's part of the enjoyment of vacation for me. I researched for quite a while to make sure that we saw, ate & did things that would be interesting to us. And we have loved every minute of New Orleans the times that we have been down there.

I can, however, see how one would not be impressed if you just kind of wander around aimlessly without any concrete plans or what you plan on seeing & doing.

It sounds to me like OP missed most of the highlights of New Orleans.

8/82 off-site :: 12/88 off-site :: 2/93 POFQ :: 12/98 off-site :: 10/02 POFQ :: 10/11 POFQ :: waiting for 4/15 to get here!
NYEmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
ilovejack02
what do you all think?

So you posted on here to bash Nola because you don't like basil , one odd bathroom and you found the carriage rides pricey ?

On the bright side of things , you prob lost a few lbs while visiting our great state.

Last edited by ilovejack02; 02-10-2013 at 03:26 PM.
ilovejack02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
Kellydelly
DIS Veteran

I am from Michigan too . My inlaws happen to live just outside of New Orleans, so I have visited there a few times. Personally I LOVE it! But two days would be enough time for me to: get some beignets at Cafe du Monde, walk through the market, visit the French Quarter, drink an adult beverage while strolling the streets , eat a delicious meal at Pat O'Brien's, walk the riverfront and check out the mall there, go for a trolley ride, and just soak in the fantastic history of the place ! Oh, and I love me some crawfish !!! We did try out a restaurant during our last visit that I had seen on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives (Joey Ks) but it wasn't so great. I can see how it wouldn't be a place everyone would enjoy, but I think you kind of need to know you would like most of what it has to offer before you venture there.
Kellydelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

My BIL was there for work for quite a while.
My sister got to see the real New Orleans.
The good (she also had a hard time finding it) the bad and the ugly.
The VERY ugly.

Her reaction/opinion...
Never, NEVER, EVER again.
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
kaligal
DIS Veteran

I've never been there. Maybe if I went, I'd change my mind. But New Orleans holds no appeal for me.

Drunks don't surprise, shock, impress or interest me. Don't like burnt or spicy food. Architecture is unappealing. Not a fan of jazz.

Never saw anything that made me want to visit the place.

I don't hate New Orleans. Just have no interest in going there. And maybe if I have to go there one day, I'll end up liking it! I just wouldn't go unless I had to.
Fantasmic sucks.

Last edited by kaligal; 02-10-2013 at 06:46 PM.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
ilovejack02
what do you all think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligal View Post
I've never been there. Maybe if I went, I'd change my mind. But New Orleans holds no appeal for me.

Drunks don't surprise, shock, impress or interest me. Don't like burnt or spicy food. Architecture is unappealing. Not a fan of jazz.

I don't hate New Orleans. Just have no interest in going there. And maybe if I have to go there one day, I'll end up liking it! I just wouldn't go unless I had to.
: ) I promise the town is not filled with drunks ... so much more than Bourbon street. I am not even a fan of that area.

Funny thing , we don't like burnt food either, thank goodness for all the amazing chefs here that take pride in their work and don't try to feed us burnt food Can't help you on the spicy .... we like things well seasoned ,but not something that over powers the awesome flavors of our area. I don't want to sweat and cry while eating either, and really have never had that experince in any restaurant nor do I cook that way . Some folks just cant handle even the slightest seasoning , so in that case, the food here won't appeal to everyone .
ilovejack02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligal View Post

You're right, you probably shouldn't go. You've made up your mind about a lot of things you wouldn't like, so no need to go. I have no desire to go back to NYC (been there, done that) so can understand every place does not appeal to everybody.

I expect drunks can be found in most cities, but they don't stand out in the daytime in NOLA. Also, really don't understand the burnt food comment, have never had burned food there - now spicey, oh yeah I cook like that all the time.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
ILUVALASKA
DIS Veteran

The focus on alcohol consumption and rowdiness has ruined New Orleans and Las Vegas for me.

me:DHDS

CMU Tartan Family
ILUVALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
nathalee81
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVALASKA View Post
The focus on alcohol consumption and rowdiness has ruined New Orleans and Las Vegas for me.
The focus on alcohol consumption is only the focus if you want it to be-there are a ton of fun things to do in New Orleans that have nothing to do with drinking (in fact, I was three months pregnant the last time we went so there NO alcohol on the agenda for me).
nathalee81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #13
TheAviator
I don't always live dangerously, but when I do, I prefer to do it at Taco Bell

I like it but only as a single person that likes to party I don't consider it a family friendly place at all really and it would not be on the list at all for a family vacation IMO. Now a guys trip to party, absolutely. I do like it all in all, I just think its very neat and unique its almost like going to another planet, I like to watch all the freaks on Bourbon, but that's just me.
TheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #14
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAviator
I like it but only as a single person that likes to party I don't consider it a family friendly place at all really and it would not be on the list at all for a family vacation IMO. Now a guys trip to party, absolutely. I do like it all in all, I just think its very neat and unique its almost like going to another planet, I like to watch all the freaks on Bourbon, but that's just me.
What I do remember from my trip as a kid is that at least once a day we saw a guy whip it out and pee on the street. And some of these guys looked like they were on their way to a business meeting in a three- piece suit. The locals also told my parents to have me back in the hotel by 3 pm because that is when things really became adult oriented. I don't know if it is still like that, but I was there in the early 90's.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:57 AM   #15
Kaspar Houser
Mouseketeer

We stayed several nights at a hotel on Bourbon street.
Never again. We literately had to climb over the bodies from drunk people sleeping on the road. Not the curb but the road.
A six in the morning the shop keepers hose them away whit water. Those that are still on th street after this "party" are removed by the high pressure water hoses from the street cleaners also around six am.

Just to add that those people were not tourists but the " Couleur Locale " to put it mildly.
All this and the advise from the hotel manager not to go outside after dark made us decide not to go back.

Last edited by Kaspar Houser; 02-12-2013 at 05:24 AM.
Kaspar Houser is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: