Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
Sabeking
DIS Veteran

Best/Worst concerts

Sorry if I am duplicating. DH and I were reminiscing about best and worst concerts we have ever been to; what are yours?

Best:
Bruce Springsteen- just awesome, so many hits
Huey Lewis and the News- fun
Glen Campbell- saw him this past summer at an outdoor theatre. He is in the early stages of Alzheimer's . He played with his son and daughter. One of the sweetest concerts ever.

Worst:
James Taylor-I felt like we keeping him up from a nap
Hank Williams Jr. He was so tanked he forgot the words to his songs...we all had to help out
Michael Buble- obnoxious foul mouth. Kind of diappointing
Old 02-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
low-key
DIS Veteran

Im never been much of a concert guy, but in the 80,s I saw most of the big names and didnt really like any of them , rather just listen on the radio where im comfortable and could enjoy the music, But I would often go see South Side Johnny, loved his music and the venue was smaller and I just enjoyed that
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
Sabeking
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-key View Post
Im never been much of a concert guy, but in the 80,s I saw most of the big names and didnt really like any of them , rather just listen on the radio where im comfortable and could enjoy the music, But I would often go see South Side Johnny, loved his music and the venue was smaller and I just enjoyed that
Holy Smokes...I am a huge South Side Johnny fan! I live in NC and never saw him but somehow my brother got me hooked. Is he still around ( and his Asbury Jukes)
Old 02-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
low-key
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabeking View Post
Holy Smokes...I am a huge South Side Johnny fan! I live in NC and never saw him but somehow my brother got me hooked. Is he still around ( and his Asbury Jukes)
really, what a small world, yep he still around and give an occasional concert, he really puts on a great show, he was hugely popular in New Jersey and Northern Ohio, so he often did and does) play on them locations
Old 02-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
Sabeking
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-key View Post
really, what a small world, yep he still around and give an occasional concert, he really puts on a great show, he was hugely popular in New Jersey and Northern Ohio, so he often did and does) play on them locations
That is awesome . I often wondered why he was not more popular. I loved his music. Funny I have no idea how my brother came across his music living in NC but I remember we had our own little cult following in high school! His sound reminded me a little of Bruce or George Thurogood.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Best: Plant/Page, Faith Hill & Tim McGraw, Metallica (in my younger days )

Worst: Alan Jackson LeeAnn Rimes opened for him in her very young "Blue" days, and her performance blew his away by far. He talked a lot and sang very little. A lot of money wasted on that concert.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
DeaverTex
Smelling like a horse doesn't make you a cavalryman
I'd wear a pair. I might even be able to get Mrs. Tex to wear some
I need to provide sufficient background in every post to make sense

Best I paid to go see: Moody Blues. This was 1974, in Houston. They played every single one of my favorites, including some that were years old.

Best I didn't pay to go see: Three Dog Night. This was 1992 or 1993, at the AWHON conference in Reno, Nevada. The hour concert lasted for not quite two hours, and they stopped because the hotel told them they had to playing. I first saw them in 1968, when they were a warm-up band for Vanilla Fudge. Wow! The next day, it was hilarious seeing all the old 1960's era fogies (like me) who could barely move because they spent the evening dancing on chairs and tables.

Worst I paid to go see: Iron Butterfly, along with the James Cotton Blues Band and The Nazz. I think this was in 1969. The Butterfly was the headliner band, and when they came on stage, the organ wouldn't work. For most of the concert, the lead and base player just jammed. When they finally got things working, they introduced their new sound -- blues. OMG, it was horrible.

Worst I didn't pay to go see: Donovan (Donovan Leach). This was 1968, I think. He spent most of the concert sitting cross-legged on stage, playing and singing to himself so that nobody else could hear. Then I got thrown out of the concert hall by security. I was a volunteer worker, and hearing the concert was supposed to be my pay. Security said that I needed to stay at my station, which was INSIDE a men's restroom, watching a window to make certain nobody broke in. Yeah, right.

Deaver Tex Mrs. Tex Tex Jr.

7-10 October 2012 - POR
Nothing else planned right now.

DeaverTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #8
low-key
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That is awesome . I often wondered why he was not more popular. I loved his music. Funny I have no idea how my brother came across his music living in NC but I remember we had our own little cult following in high school! His sound reminded me a little of Bruce or George Thurogood.

funny you should say that, hime and Bruce are friends and often back in the 80,s while SouthSide was giving a concert, Bruce would show uo and sing with him
Old 02-09-2013, 11:56 PM   #9
shortbun
Peacenik

Best-Bowie, Stones(a few times),Boz Scaggs/Fleetwood Mac/Eagles, Sting, Boz Scaggs/michael McDonald/Donald Fagen,Elton John at Dodger Stadium, James Taylor, Bowie, Steve Miller,Grateful Dead, 3 day concert on a farm near my hometown-too many groups to mention all-Doobie Bros/Allman Bros/Clapton...

Hoping the 2 day Mumford and Sons stopover in Troy, Ohio over Labor Day will be added to my all time favs=so far, two headline nights and 7 other bands. mmmmmmmm! I'm old but I'm not dead.

How could I leave out Led Zepplin?

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
islandtimect
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabeking

Yes, they still tour and are in northeast FL this month.
islandtimect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
Sabeking
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtimect View Post
I need to check the Internet and see if he is coming around here. I am actually shocked that so many on this thread have even heard of him!
Old 02-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
Sabeking
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtimect View Post
I cannot believe this.....he is playing here Friday night!!!!! It was meant to be!!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #13
zippingalong
Mouseketeer

Best-

Tom Petty
Billy Joel

Worst-
Stevie Nicks
zippingalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
islandtimect
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabeking

I cannot believe this.....he is playing here Friday night!!!!! It was meant to be!!!!
Have a great time! It was 30 yrs ago that they played Bentley College outside Boston. I may be getting old, but never too old to rock!
islandtimect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #15
snapppyd

they must be done away with at all costs
Now you've gone and blown my mind!

Location: Donna Reedville, Reeking Lumstown, Older than Dirtboro, Only post the good ones, USA

Quote:
Yes! saw him the past two years in New Jersey, just got tickets to see him in CT this summer! Still very popular!

snapppyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: