Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
MyPrinceWillCome
Mouseketeer

What do you miss most in the World?

If you could bring back any attraction, show, shop, etc. what would it be?

Mine is kind of unique (I think.) I wish Engel Puppen was still at the Germany pavilion in Epcot. Engel Puppen was the brand of those dolls that you could have customized by picking their face, hair, eye color and outfit. It was run by Helmet Engel. I had my first Engel Puppen doll made in the late 90s. While there, my mom discussed with Mr. Engel a doll she had when she was a little girl in Sweden. Unfortunately, the doll's arms and legs had become extremely damaged over time. Mr. Engel told her he was returning soon to Germany for a visit, and if she would like to send him the doll, he would bring it to his factory in Germany and repair it. He gave her his address in Florida and she mailed him the doll when we returned home. Several months later the doll arrived back on our doorstep, repaired and wearing a new dress.

When I visited WDW again a few years later with a friend, I had another doll made. I told Mr. Engel about how he had helped my mother. My mom called me that night and told me how she had received an email from Mr. Engel, saying hello, and telling her how I happy he was that I had come into the shop and about the doll I had made.

Over the next decade, I had a doll made on each visit (each in a different princess costume) for a collection of 6 or 7 dolls, each signed by Mr. Engel. Then one day, Mr. Engel wasn't there. One of the employees said he was ill and had returned to Germany for treatment. I bought my last doll, the only one not signed by him. Sadly, he passed away not long after.

Now Engel Puppen is no longer there -- it's a Kidcot station. I wish that even without Mr. Engel there, they had found a way to keep the doll shop open. I miss it. But I'm glad I was able to meet that amazing man, and have many beautiful dolls that he signed.
MyPrinceWillCome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

I would bring back Minnie's house.
We have progressive pics of our DD year after year sitting on Minnie's living room chair and peeking in Minnie's fridge - would have been nice to continue the tradition until she was done growing....

Anniversary May 2013 at the Swan
: Mommy & Me July 2013 offsite
The Whole Gang August 2013 AKL
1st Family trip to UO August 2013 RPH
LaurenT is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
eeyoresmom
DIS Veteran

Tapestry of Nations parade at Epcot. Still get that song stuck in my head from time to time.
eeyoresmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyoresmom View Post
Tapestry of Nations parade at Epcot. Still get that song stuck in my head from time to time.
That and the light box on the bridge to WS at Christmas.

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

Honestly, i would like to have the Contemporary game room back where is was on the first floor and to get rid of the store sucking up space on the grand concourse. That store is supposed to be where the game room is now. They took what was a nice space and ruined it. With the ugly redo of the first floor decor (a decade or more ago) and the store sucking up the grand concourse the Contemporary has to be the ugliest of all of the resorts. I like the outside but the inside...
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

mr toad now have to head west to see him.

arrabis shop in the castle @ MK, it had amazing selection of high quality goods. The other arrabis stores are ho-hum.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_doctor
Honestly, i would like to have the Contemporary game room back where is was on the first floor and to get rid of the store sucking up space on the grand concourse. That store is supposed to be where the game room is now. They took what was a nice space and ruined it. With the ugly redo of the first floor decor (a decade or more ago) and the store sucking up the grand concourse the Contemporary has to be the ugliest of all of the resorts. I like the outside but the inside...
Right there with you , we enjoyed the game room immensity back in the day, along with the Fiesta Fun Center, Pueblo Room and Monorail Club plus Coconino Cove....when they made those changes and tore down the north garden wing, CR lost our loyalty .....we moved on!!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #8
coachluver3
Disneydooneyluver

Mr. Toad for sure.
coachluver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
KristinAnne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Absolutely agree with this. I just loved that parade!

KristinAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
mcraige
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That is my all-time favorate parade from any of the parks.

Disney World May 1998 - Off Site; September 1998 - Off Site; October 1999 - Off Site; March 2000 - All Star Music; March 2002 - All Star Movies; March 2004 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); March 2006 - Saratoga Springs (DVC); December 2007 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); November 2010 - Old Key West (DVC); July 2011 - Off Site; November 2012 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); March 2013 - Saratoga Springs (DVC) Vero Beach March 2004, July 2009 Disney Cruise Line May 2003, July 2009 Disneyland December 2002/January 2003 - Off Site; August 2008 - Off Site
mcraige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #11
jdcthree
DIS Veteran

SpectroMagic. If it doesn't come back soon, I'm going to cry. Seriously.
Polynesian 2006
Wilderness Lodge 2005/06
jdcthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #12
toy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcthree View Post
SpectroMagic. If it doesn't come back soon, I'm going to cry. Seriously.
I think my husband would cry right along with you. He was so upset about that parade.

I would like to have Mickey and Minnie's houses back. My daughter absolutely loved looking in the kitchen.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #13
Jenntx
Mouseketeer

We would love for them to find a place at WDW for Mickey and Minnie's homes. When my boys were little they loved seeing where they lived. My youngest has never seen them because they were gone last summer for his first trip. Wish they'd come back.
Jenntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #14
Fredericks44
Earning My Ears

Mk used to have a ride that was sponsored by an airline (delta maybe?), I think it's where the toy story ride is now. It was a pretty lame ride and ended in this tunnel where you were floating in the clouds... I just have really fond memories of riding it with my papa and us laughing about how it wasn't up to par with the rest of the attractions. Anybody remember?
Old 02-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #15
Soarin4us
Earning My Ears

Smile

Eastern Airlines-- "If you had wings" circa 1972
Soarin4us is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: