Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

My dogs bark too much! Help!

We are moving to an apartment in a few months and I have two dogs that really like to bark. It's not a big deal now as we live in a large home on a huge lot but moving to an apartment changes things. My dogs are stubborn and everything's have tried to do to stop this behavior has failed. It is mostly a concern of mine that they will bark when thy are unattended in the apartment. It was difficult to find a place that was willing to accept us because of the animals so I do not want behaviors to risk having our lease terminated. I see items on the Internet that supposedly stop barking. Anybody have any experience with these? Anything work for anybody for nuisance barking?

Disclosure because I know some will ask or suggest. Yes, we have to move to an apartment. We are moving out of state for medical reasons for my children and will have a house that has not sold. No, I can't give the dogs away if I wish to stay married (and nobody can watch them for us either).

Suggestions are appreciated as this problem seriously adds to the overall stress of an already very stressful situation. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

What kind of dogs are they? How old Are they? And what's their history?

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
What kind of dogs are they? How old Are they? And what's their history?
Both female, one basset hound, one Heinz 57 mutt. The basset genrally starts it all, she is the most problematic. Really no history. They have lived with us since they were puppies (age 4 and 3 now). Inside dogs, no abuse issues, a little spoiled. I do have an older basset hound (11) but have no barking issues with her.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
Maryr1
DIS Veteran

I have heard that the easiest way to cure nuisence barking is to teach the dog to bark on command. When the dog barks, give it a treat with the command "speak" keep that up for a bit until they associate the bark with the treat and the command. Then start giving the command when they are quiet-when they respond with a bark-give them the reward. DO NOT reward barking that occurs when they are not given the command at this point. I have dogs, but they aren't really barkers so I haven't had to do this, but my dog trainer swears by it. Good luck!
Maryr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Check with one of the dog trainers at either a nearby PetSmart or PetCo. Barking is the most common problem they work with. They should have resources you can go to for help.

Is there a trigger for the barking? Bassetts are barkers, so getting them to stop completely may be asking a lot! But if you can narrow it down to triggers, you may be able to limit their vocalizing.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboysmom View Post
Both female, one basset hound, one Heinz 57 mutt. The basset genrally starts it all, she is the most problematic. Really no history. They have lived with us since they were puppies (age 4 and 3 now). Inside dogs, no abuse issues, a little spoiled. I do have an older basset hound (11) but have no barking issues with her.
Ugh. We had a neighbor one time who had a Basset hound. That dog barked from the time she left for work, until she came back at the end of the day. And by barked, I mean HOWLED without end. Nothing they tried helped. I guess a lot of neighbors complained and they nearly got kicked out of th complex. They finally had tojust rehome the dog.

Good luck
Old 02-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

I'm sure I'll get completely flamed but we use a remote control shock collar. It seems bad until it fixes your problem. We never used it for barking. We put it on him to go outside to potty because we don't have a fenced in yard. We rarely have to use the shock because the vibrate seems to get his attention enough.

A friend of ours had a similiar problem. They lived in an apartment and the dog barked at EVERYTHING. They got the shock collar and it only took a couple of zaps before the dog realized barking was a no-no. It has changed their lives. He rarely barks now and if he does they only have to give him the warning vibrate and he calms down.
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
crz4mm2
Most of the time I just sit and scratch my head...

How about bark collars?

crz4mm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Thanks for everybody's help. It is so frustrating. We do have a shock collar for her (and she is stubborn enough to ignore it at times) but I am not comfortable with the ones that you leave on and they shock automatically when they bark. I am scared it could malfunction, etc. I am starting the spray bottle and I might try the citronella collar too. I was hoping some had had luck with the expensive anti bark machines that always get bad reviews but I see not one poster did.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
bearloch
DIS Veteran

a couple of things I had beagles! they were loud! 1 thing that worked great to use when I was home was to shake a can with marbles, coins etc in it they were destracted by the noise and stopped! we also had to move to a apartment and was worried! I had the dogs stay in the room farest away from " triggers' and got them thunder shirts to wear when I was gone for more that a quick trip to store! worked I also left a tv or radio on at all times!!

WDW1986
Disneyland 1998
Disneyland 1999
WDW 2003
BAck First time @ Fort 12 /2007

Moved closer to Mickey June 2011:dance
CSR June 2012
bearloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Have you tried a certified animal behaviorist? That's where I would start
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #12
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessB320 View Post
Have you tried a certified animal behaviorist? That's where I would start
Looked at that. We have one in our area and the fees are out of our league. Apparently I am in the wrong business. Talked to our vet about this and she wasn't overly impressed with this particular service provider.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #13
Tinijocaro
DIS Veteran

Our two bichons used to sit on our couch barking as people walked by or came to our door. It was constant.

We moved to a dead end street where there are hardly any walkers on our street and I rarely hear them bark any more.

What do your dogs bark at? Is it possible that they won't have as much to bark at living in an apartment?
Tinijocaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #14
IheartMickey
I have not been blessed by the tag fairy!

I got something from the Doctors Foster and Smith catalog that was about $30 and when it recognizes the sound of a bark it emits a slightly uncomfortable sound that only dogs can hear. It also has a button that you can use as well. When my dog was a puppy she would start barking as soon as I woke up (around 4am) and I had upstairs neighbors. All it took was a few uses and she stopped.
IheartMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #15
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

Bassets are just loud dogs. Its just who they are and I don't think there's much you can do about it. I think it's a hound thing.

There are websites and message boards for basset hound owners. Basset.net is one. Maybe you can find some advice there.

Last edited by sunshinehighway; 02-09-2013 at 07:00 PM.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: