Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
Mjtsmami
Earning My Ears

Cant decide...family of 6

We have 6 of us, DH, myself and the boys ages 10, 7, 6 and an almost 2 year old.

We had originally decided on AOA, just because its the kids (and DH's) first time and that's the one they liked when looking, but now that it's time for me to book, I can't decide.

We're heading down from 4/28-5/4. All Star Music has suites for cheaper than AOA, or we can get a room at POR. I'm thinking of going with POR just because its going to be one of the few times that we can fit into a moderate. That and I think the kids will like the pools at POR and POFQ better. But AOA has all the theming' and with a suite, DH can stay up and watch tv in the bedroom and not bother the kids....gah I can't make up my mind!

Any advice or preference?

January 1987-offsite April 2001-Caribbean Beach April 2013-Art of Animation

April/May 2013 PTR!
Mjtsmami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
rizzo0904
Mouseketeer

I would do AoA. The theming is great for kids. Plus, there is a splash pad area that will be perfect for the 2 year old.

We are staying there in September. It's not necessarily MY first choice, but I know the boys will LOVE it.
rizzo0904 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
almburr
DIS Veteran

I was having this dilemma also. We at first though AoA for the theming but decided to try the cabins at FW. DH likes the boat ride from resort to MK (we stayed at WL on a previous trip). DH also thought the AoA décor might start to get to him after a few days.

The Fort looks like it will be a good choice for us on this trip. Its always so hard to decided where we want to stay.
almburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

For the kids' first trip I'd go for AoA. We stayed there last summer for our children's first visit and it was a wonderful experience. I highly recommend the Cars section. It's fantastic at night when all the neon is lit. Our room was very spacious and comfortable, and having two bathrooms was a joy.

We are going back this year and staying at the parent's resort choice. I have no regrets about the AoA last year, and I'd definitely stay there again.

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
momof4minnies
Mouseketeer

I know this is said over and over, but.... No matter what you choose you will have a great time and the kids will be overjoyed. You won't go "wrong" with either choice. We have stayed at ASMu and having 2 bathrooms was great since we have 4 daughters and the 2 separate rooms was nice. I have never stayed at AoA or POR, but from looking at them, you may have more room at AoA.

FYI, Coronado Springs is a moderate and has a room similar to AoA and ASMu family suites and sleeps 6.

Good luck.

1971 WDW opening year
several visits to DL as a wee one
Oct 1998 Poly
Jun 2000 CBR
Aug 2001 CR
Jul 2003 CR
June 2004 GF CL
Jun 2005 CR CL
Jul 2007 GF CL
Nov 2008 WL CL
Jun 2009 DL Hyatt
Nov 2011 WL CL - DD Sweet 16
Jun 2013 BW CL - 2nd DD Sweet 16
NEXT TRIP DEC 2014 WL CL - CHRISTMAS
momof4minnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:35 AM   #6
nfrank
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof4minnies View Post
I know this is said over and over, but.... No matter what you choose you will have a great time and the kids will be overjoyed. You won't go "wrong" with either choice.
True story. No matter what you pick, it will be magical!
nfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #7
FantasiaMagic
DIS Veteran

I think for the ages of your kids I would go with AoA. The themeing is just soooo cute! You can also walk over to POP for more fun things to experience.

If you decide against this I would then stay at POR. I hear they have a really nice pool w/ slide and there is also a boat to DTD.

Good Luck and have a great trip!

-FantasiaMagic

AKV Kidani August 2012 TR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2975354

FantasiaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #8
MistressMerryweather
DIS Veteran

Though I adore POR and would choose it myself with my 6, I think you should do AOA. First time and all. The theme of the Value Resorts is just what kids think of when they think Disney. POR is wonderful if you have been more than once.

Me ~ DH ~ Ds(11) ~ Dd(9) ~ Ds(5) ~ Dd(3) ...our Sept. 2010 DW souvenir ~ Dd(1)

MistressMerryweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:44 PM   #9
kfelaco
Earning My Ears

We have a family of 6 and we just booked two rooms at POFQ. Having more bathroom space, queen beds to share, shorter bus waits, and better pools rated more with me. My kids are a bit older than yours and it's their 2nd time, so I didn't think the bright theming of AoA would be as big a selling point! LOL Like someone else posted, no matter where you stay, you're still at DISNEY and you'll have a great time!

1980 WDW off-site (DH) 4/1989 WDW off-site (Krista) 5/2007 Poly 12/2013 POFQ

kfelaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:22 AM   #10
Random Ninja
DIS Veteran

It sounds like with your family dynamic that AoA would be a better option. You get 2 bathrooms, a separate bedroom for DH to watch tv, and an awesome pool area. I've stayed at both AoA and ASMu and the pool at AoA was much better. They have a splash pad and music pumped in the main pool. We heard Yellow Submarine 3 times in one afternoon and my friend who didn't want to get her hair wet couldn't figure out why we kept singing that song. For a first trip, AoA is a great introduction.

I'd save the cabins at the fort for when the kids are older and can roam a bit easier. There is so much to do there but transportation could be an issue with youngsters.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #11
Mjtsmami
Earning My Ears

We went with AOA! Can't wait to head down there in 2 months!

I figured that even if we can go back (hopefully!) in the next year or two my now 10 year old (and possibly the 8 year old) will be outgrowing the theming at AOA, so we can explore then.

In the future, it it more worth it with preteens to get a suite or 2 connecting rooms?

April/May 2013 PTR!
Old 03-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
K1226M
Earning My Ears

We debated the same thing also 4 boys 7,5,3 and 2.

We ended up going with AoA too our 2 yr old is no longer in a crib. We will be there the same time 4/28- 5/3
K1226M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #13
thereitis
Mouseketeer

I'm debating the same - I'll have a 7yo, 5yo and a 1yo at the time of the trip, and trying to decide what to do.

We would fit with two queen beds in POR - but I think the AoA suite would be fantastic, especially the cars theme for my son.

But I can't help thinking the location would be better at POR for getting back and forth with the baby.

But AoA - if my parents come they can get a reg room and us the suite, but then it costs me more than the POR.

Ugh, I'm so overwhelmed and confused!!
thereitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #14
Random Ninja
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereitis
I'm debating the same - I'll have a 7yo, 5yo and a 1yo at the time of the trip, and trying to decide what to do.

We would fit with two queen beds in POR - but I think the AoA suite would be fantastic, especially the cars theme for my son.

But I can't help thinking the location would be better at POR for getting back and forth with the baby.

But AoA - if my parents come they can get a reg room and us the suite, but then it costs me more than the POR.

Aside from DTD, the transportation is the same at POR, buses at both. Keep in mind that the suites and the regular rooms at AoA are not in the same areas so your parents would be in another area. 4 adults, 2 kids, and 1 infant will all fit in a suite. You do get 2 bathrooms and the inovo bed doesn't have any springs and is pretty comfy if one couple is willig to sleep on it. If they don't come, you have pleanty of room to stretch out. You could put the kids to bed in the main room and stay up watching tv in the bedroom.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:09 AM   #15
Mjtsmami
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereitis

As for dealing with the baby and transportation, L will be a month shy of 2, but we're bringing the Ergo so he can be worn a bit (I'm thinking in case he passes out when we are waiting for a bus, at least the Ergo won't kill our arms holding a sleeping toddler, and we're getting a Chicco Echo stroller. I need a smaller stroller anyways, we hardly use our full size anymore because its just too bulky. The Echo has a sun shade and reclining seat and but folds like an umbrella, and it isn't as heavy. I'm contemplating getting a different carrier but probably won't because I'm used to the ergo and it works.

I would go with the suite and let your parents have the bedroom if they come, then they have their own room away from the kids but its not costing a ton.

Good luck with the decision! It took me a bit but I had to just make a choice or I would never book! :D

April/May 2013 PTR!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: