Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
marybogue
Mouseketeer

A $500 Walk to MK?

So, I was pricing the difference between CR and WL, and it is roughly a $500 difference. I am sure the $500 includes other amenities, but is being able to walk to MK worth the $?

I was on Trip Advisor reading some horrid reviews of the CR. WL has considerably less bad reviews, and even won a trip award. We are booked for the Garden Wing, and I requested a patio room, which I know we may not get. Am I under the correct impression that all WL rooms have a patio(something I really want). This is me reading every review of WL and CR -

I am annoying myself with this indecisiveness. Can someone shed any light on this issue or just tell me to snap out of it, you're going to WDW, relax?!!!

80's & 90's - Poly and Grand Floridian
October 2002 - Bay Hill
May 2013 - The Contemporary
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge and Old Key West
marybogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
carolinamama
Mouseketeer

We've stayed at both. While we love the theming at WL, we prefer CR overall (we're actually staying at BLT this time). The rooms at CR are considerably larger, and we like our space (plus we have a big family). We stayed in the tower, Bay Lake side, and just really enjoyed it. At WL, we did have a small balcony. If you want an actual patio, know some are right on the pool with no privacy. Plus, at CR, you've got the monorail versus all bus/boat service.

While I use TripAdvisor, I tend not to rely on it for Disney or expensive hotels. Non-Disney peeps have different expectations, especially for the price paid.

15 Trips to WDW since 1981 - Bay Lake Tower (2013), Port Orleans Riverside (2013), Contemporary (2009), Polynesian (2008), Wilderness Lodge (1995 and 2006), Caribbean Beach (1995 and other prior dates), Beach Club (1996), Disney Inn (1986), Disney Villas And now a Disneyland trip as well! Grand Californian (2010)
carolinamama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
marybogue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
We've stayed at both. While we love the theming at WL, we prefer CR overall (we're actually staying at BLT this time). The rooms at CR are considerably larger, and we like our space (plus we have a big family). We stayed in the tower, Bay Lake side, and just really enjoyed it. At WL, we did have a small balcony. If you want an actual patio, know some are right on the pool with no privacy. Plus, at CR, you've got the monorail versus all bus/boat service.

While I use TripAdvisor, I tend not to rely on it for Disney or expensive hotels. Non-Disney peeps have different expectations, especially for the price paid.
Thank you Carolinamama (I'm in N. Carolina!) and AleedraS! Can you take a double stroller on the boat from WL to MK?

October 2002 - Bay Hill
Old 02-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

That walkway is worth it's weight in gold for my family. To not be trapped in MK hours after closing because we're relying on unreliable Disney transportation? Yep, we love CR and BLT.

The other resorts are good too, but the walkway makes it worth it for us.

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
marybogue
Mouseketeer

Thank you all! I'm keeping the ressie at CR. Maybe we'll try WL when the kiddos are a little older and we are without the double stroller.

October 2002 - Bay Hill
Old 02-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybogue View Post
Thank you all! I'm keeping the ressie at CR. Maybe we'll try WL when the kiddos are a little older and we are without the double stroller.
unless your double stroller is small - you or your husband may have trouble with it getting on the buses. would take 2 small fold up strollers instead.

you will need to rides buses to get to Studios, AK and DD - if you are going to these places.

also love CR/BLT for those nights when you stay late and the MK is closing then another park is closing - the lines can get long....

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Just a heads up on the monorail. We stayed at BLT in October and every time we got the monorail at CR, the CMs there asked everyone to remove their kids from and fold the strollers up. So there isn't any guarantee that you won't have to fold the stroller. You might even want to try going without the stroller since your kids are school aged.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
marybogue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill

Just a heads up on the monorail. We stayed at BLT in October and every time we got the monorail at CR, the CMs there asked everyone to remove their kids from and fold the strollers up. So there isn't any guarantee that you won't have to fold the stroller. You might even want to try going without the stroller since your kids are school aged.
Thanks for the heads up. The BOB folds up fairly easy if need be. Since we'll be spending most of our time at MK, I think the walkway will be our main way of getting into that park. I can't imagine my 6 or 4 year old being able to walk an entire day through the parks. Seems like too much walking for that age.

October 2002 - Bay Hill
Old 02-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Good choice! May is good CR weather. Save the WL for a winter trip after Thanksgiving, when the resort is in its holiday decor!

WL looks (and feels) better in the cooler times of the year.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #10
AleedraS
Earning My Ears

I haven't stayed at WLAN, however we have stayed at CR and it was worth it to us. We have younger kids who love MK and we stayed during peak season. Being able to walk to MK was worth the price of not having the bus aggravation. Also with 5 people in our family we wanted a room that was large and had everything we needed close ( more amenities). As our kids grow older we are looking towards venturing into other resort that may not be on the monorail line, but the convenience with small kids and midday breaks is worth us paying for right now. You just have to look at your family and see what works best for them. Good luck!

Me , DH , DD , DD , DS

2009 Off Site Disney Downtown Hilton
2011 Contemporary for Christmas
upcoming 2013 Polynesian!!
AleedraS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #11
Mommy2TwoMickeys
DIS Veteran

Honestly, I think that you will be pleased with either choice you make. I have personally stayed at the WL 2x's! The resort is Beautiful I have never stayed at the CR, but I have heard great things about it. I have walked through their to Lobby to go to Chef Mickeys and I could see myself staying there. The WL and AKL, I believe, are the least expensive Deluxe resorts. Not quite sure why . The one thing I can say is having a monorail is such a selling point for us!!
Old 02-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
marybogue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2TwoMickeys View Post
Honestly, I think that you will be pleased with either choice you make. I have personally stayed at the WL 2x's! The resort is Beautiful I have never stayed at the CR, but I have heard great things about it. I have walked through their to Lobby to go to Chef Mickeys and I could see myself staying there. The WL and AKL, I believe, are the least expensive Deluxe resorts. Not quite sure why . The one thing I can say is having a monorail is such a selling point for us!!
Thank you! My children will be 6 and 5 at the time of the trip, and I keep thinking that maybe the monorail/walkway will be a lifesaver at midday cranky times. But then I look at pictures of the WL - so beautiful! I'm annoying! Isn't there another thread for habitual resort changers? Lord, help me!

October 2002 - Bay Hill
Old 02-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #13
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Isn't there another thread for habitual resort changers?
Yes there is!

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3019855
Old 02-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #14
marybogue
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=dansdad;47441828]Yes there is!

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3019855[/Q

Thanks! I think.

October 2002 - Bay Hill
Old 02-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #15
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybogue
So, I was pricing the difference between CR and WL, and it is roughly a $500 difference. I am sure the $500 includes other amenities, but is being able to walk to MK worth the $?

I was on Trip Advisor reading some horrid reviews of the CR. WL has considerably less bad reviews, and even won a trip award. We are booked for the Garden Wing, and I requested a patio room, which I know we may not get. Am I under the correct impression that all WL rooms have a patio(something I really want). This is me reading every review of WL and CR -

I am annoying myself with this indecisiveness. Can someone shed any light on this issue or just tell me to snap out of it, you're going to WDW, relax?!!!
I would really take TA reports on wdw with a huge grain of salt. We love WL and just wanted to add that the bus to MK is literally 5 minutes. However with a stroller some people don't find the buses convenient. I do think $500 is worth it to be that close to mk and on the monorail. However do you like the theming of the CR? We don't and we love the theming and feel of the WL. also the WL buses are the best we have found on property (with the exception of service to dtd). Good luck with your decision!

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: