Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
macajack
Earning My Ears

Question Resort confusion - pls help?

Hi - I'll try to keep this as short as possible...
My husband, 2 kids (11 & 9), mother-in-law and myself are going to Disney in September. At first we were looking for 2 rooms in a moderate or better and quickly realized that we should also consider villas. A second very important point is that my MIL tires fairly easily.

We are considering the Treehouses (3 separate bedrooms is a HUGE factor) but I'm concerned about the comments regarding length of walk just to get to the internal shuttles then to the buses. We have only stayed at the Cabins previously and think it's a similar system. I guess my question is: for the money, is there somewhere else I should also consider where transportation options would be better?

I really appreciate anything more experienced Disney visitors can offer. Thx so much!
macajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

For us it really depends on which park we'll be doing the most.... Most of the deluxes have villas so it either EPCOT area villas or MK villas or AK villas....

We pick WL villas hands down, thru Dave's Rental at 13.00 a point....his web site point calculator very easy to use...

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

As you have described your MIL, I would not choose the Treehouse Villas.

The AK villas can also be QUITE a hike. I was there last year with a mobility impaired senior and even with a scooter, it would take a good 10 min to get to the bus stop.

_I_ would consider two rooms at a moderate in a preferred room. OR POFQ--not much walking there at all and a lovely resort.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
macajack
Earning My Ears

Thank you so much for your responses. I'm seriously worried about the Treehouses, but MIL and the kids keep telling me it's awesome. And I agree, they are awesome but I'm concerned and rightly so.

I'll look into the places you've mentioned.
macajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Quote:
Originally Posted by macajack
Thank you so much for your responses. I'm seriously worried about the Treehouses, but MIL and the kids keep telling me it's awesome. And I agree, they are awesome but I'm concerned and rightly so.

I'll look into the places you've mentioned.
I'd be worried too.... Tree houses are not for someone with mobility issues unless they are going to stay in the room the whole time.... I wouldn't want that....

We always choose a resort that made that someone easy to get to the food court and main lobby easy, or the pool area.... All fairly close...as my mother got older, those issues came into account.... This way, if she wanted a bowl of soup or doughnut she could get there without a lot of walking or navigating.... She enjoy the CR a lot back then, also the WL.....

Since we were MK people and enjoyed that park the most, we stayed in that area to keep traveling at a minimum .... WL, without breaking the bank!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I was thinking 2 rooms at POFQ too. It is the smallest moderate resort by far. No matter where your room ends up, it won't be a long walk to the food court or bus stop. I've stayed there 3 times, and had great bus service each time too.

If you don't mind spending a bit more money, the Poly would be good too. It is also a fairly compact resort. Plus you would have the added bonus of the monorail to get you to Epcot and the Magic Kingdom. And if your MIL wants to hang out at the resort and rest at night, she can sit on the beach and watch the fireworks go off.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: