Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
Rachel Harmon
Earning My Ears

Question Boardwalk villas vs. Wilderness Lodge villas vs. animal kingdom

We are taking our 5 and 7 year old boys to Disney in April...none of us have ever been. I'm so confused as to which resort to stay, as we've never been to any parks. Will MK be too kiddy for them??? Will Epcot/HS be too big for them?? Help! Any ideas would be great! Rach
Rachel Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Our first trip to Disney was when our two DSs were 6 & 8 and they loved all of the parks. I think MK is great for all ages, but for your kids and their ages, MK is perfect. As far as which villa to choose, I would go with either VWL or AKV. VWL is close to MK and AKV is great if they love animals. We've never stayed in any of the villas, but we have stayed at both WL and AKL and both are beautiful resorts and great places to stay. With that said, the MK area is our favorite and not only is VWL in close proximity to MK, but it's very convenient to the CR via boat where you can shop, dine, and visit and then hop on the monorail to visit the Poly and GF. Good luck deciding, although I'm sure you will have a magical trip no matter which resort/villa you choose .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

I'll get crucified but I'll venture in anyway...

Children, from my experience and standpoint enjoy the MK better than the other parks...

We prefer WL to any other resorts on property just on location alone.... Being a boat ride from the MK and MK being our favorite park ....

Everyone has their reasons for their favorite resorts and whatnot.... But for us, even after 47 trips, the MK is our favorite park and the WL has served us well over 10 of those visits!!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
RocketEAR99
DIS Veteran

I was roughly 7 years old when I made my first trip to WDW. I LOVED all the parks (except AK, because it didn't exist yet). Odds are your kids will enjoy MK the most though.

As to resorts options, I've stayed at all 3 of those resorts and loved them. You really can't go wrong, but for the family frequenting MK, Wilderness Lodge is definitely the wise choice (and it happens to be my new favorite resort regardless).
My past trips:WDW-1: Jun 1992 (Off Property), WDW-2: Aug 1997 (Off Property), WDW-3: Feb 2007 (POP), WDW-4: Jan 2009 (SSR), WDW-5: May 2009 (BWV), WDW-6: Oct 2009 (AKV Kidani), WDW-7: Mar 2010 (BLT), WDW-8: Jan 2011 (AKV Kidani), WDW-9: May 2011 (SSR), WDW-10: Feb 2012 (OKW), WDW-11: Oct 2012 (VWL), WDW-12: May 2013 (BWV), WDW-13: Dec 2013 (OKW)

Me DW Maverick

RocketEAR99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #5
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

MK is still my 15 & 13 yrs old favorite park! although they do love RnR and ToT. We spend alot of time at MK --its my favorite park too.

I love the fireworks too!!

As for where to stay.. AKV or WL get my vote. My kids love seeing the animals, but being close to MK is always a plus. either resort will be great. BW is great for Epcot
Old 02-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
FantasiaMagic
DIS Veteran

WL is in a great location with it being so close to MK. BWV is in walking/boating distance to EPCOT and HS. AKV has amazing views of the animals.

All of these resorts are very different and have different perks and locations.

AKV Kidani August 2012 TR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2975354

FantasiaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
Rachel Harmon
Earning My Ears

Pool situation

Great comments! Sooo helpful! I've read a lot of negative comments about the WL pool being too crowded. Is the Boardwalk pool bigger??? Less crowded? Not that I will be at the pool a lot, but with small kids you never know. Also, Boardwalk does NOT have a kids club, right?
Old 02-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
Rachel Harmon
Earning My Ears

Pool situation

Great comments! Sooo helpful! I've read a lot of negative comments about the WL pool being too crowded. Is the Boardwalk pool bigger??? Less crowded? Not that I will be at the pool a lot, but with small kids you never know. Also, Boardwalk does NOT have a kids club, right?
Old 02-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
amym2
DIS Veteran

Since it's your first trip to WDW, I'd go with the quiet of the WLV instead of the hustle and bustle of the BWV. The parks can be quite exhausting, and chances are you will be more in need of quiet than additional entertainment.
amym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
jude&jonah
Mouseketeer

I vote for Wilderness for your first trip as well! Can't go wrong with either- but it being a first trip I think it will be nice to be on the lagoon, close to MK, and I also agree Wilderness is a little more relaxed and I think that will be nice on a first trip. I love the WL pool personally as an adult- so relaxing and natural looking. I've always found BWI to be a little stressful- especially when I stayed there years ago.

1995- Caribbean Beach / 1998 x2- Boardwalk & Fort Wilderness / 2002- Sheraton Vistana
2006- Sheraton Vistana / 2006 to 2007- Grand Floridian Cast Member /
2011- Coronado Springs / 2013 Caribbean Beach & Polynesian Split-Stay
Booked for March 2014 for 6 nights at Coronado Springs!
jude&jonah is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: