Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
nutshell
Oh, Disney!
 
nutshell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 278

Vegan Options at DLR

Hello! We're planning a trip for Spring Break (maybe Summer . . . we'll see), and I have a question about vegan options at Disneyland and the surrounding area. We're actually new to veganism . . . we started about two months ago and are still going strong!

Anyway . . . any other vegans on the board? Anyone know where/what we can eat while we're at DLR?

Thanks!!!

__________________
nutshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan
 
disneychrista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Northern California
Posts: 11,244

It is very limited when it comes to Vegan food at Disneyland, especially if you want to get counter service.

If you do a search you can come up with a couple of older thread with suggestions. I used to have it bookmarked but it got deleted
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran
 
sonnyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,333

Yeah, veggies will have more success than full vegans. It's things like sauces that will get you. Just be upfront and ask, they can provide you with suggestions or at least tell you where else to look. As the PP said I know there are a few threads. Try searching "vegan" in our search bar.
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
cmwade77
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,827

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyjane
Yeah, veggies will have more success than full vegans. It's things like sauces that will get you. Just be upfront and ask, they can provide you with suggestions or at least tell you where else to look. As the PP said I know there are a few threads. Try searching "vegan" in our search bar.
Something to be aware of: The Fried Green Tomato sandwich at Hungry Bear is not Vegetarian, let alone vegan, due to the sauce used (contains fish) and last time I asked, the sauce could not be left off, as it was already on one of the components.

As others have said, Vegan options will be limited. Most table service locations will be able to come up with something, but most of them will be pasta with marinara sauce. The one exception that I know of is Carthay Circle, the chef will come out and work with you to come up with something that you will enjoy. He came out to our table after our meal and while he was there told is that He purposefully left vegan and vegetarian options off the menu so that he could make special dishes for those with dietary needs.

From what I hear, Napa Rose will do the same, but I have no first hand experience.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
radiatorsprings
Mouseketeer
 
radiatorsprings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: near Sacramento, CA
Posts: 186

I am going to DL in 3 weeks for the first time as a vegan (last time I went was 2011 about 6 months before I became vegan). I have been researching what I will be able to eat and here are the things I wanted to try:
Rancho del Zocalo - soft tacos Monterrey with veggies, no sour cream or cheese
Carnation Cafe - Chef's vegan burger
Royal Street Veranda - vegetarian gumbo
Lucky Fortune Cookery - Asian rice bowl with veggies, tofu, and teriyaki sauce

And I am not sure about this one but I saw one post online where someone mentioned this as a vegan option:
Paradise Garden Grill - Mediterranean skewers (vegetable with tofu) with Moroccan Chili sauce served with rice pilaf and pita bread
__________________
Tiffani
radiatorsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:01 AM   #6
cmwade77
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,827

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiatorsprings View Post
I am going to DL in 3 weeks for the first time as a vegan (last time I went was 2011 about 6 months before I became vegan). I have been researching what I will be able to eat and here are the things I wanted to try:
Rancho del Zocalo - soft tacos Monterrey with veggies, no sour cream or cheese
Carnation Cafe - Chef's vegan burger
Royal Street Veranda - vegetarian gumbo
Lucky Fortune Cookery - Asian rice bowl with veggies, tofu, and teriyaki sauce

And I am not sure about this one but I saw one post online where someone mentioned this as a vegan option:
Paradise Garden Grill - Mediterranean skewers (vegetable with tofu) with Moroccan Chili sauce served with rice pilaf and pita bread
I do recommend Carthay Circle for vegetarians and vegans, the food is amazing and they really work with you to make something you will LOVE. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but worth it in my opinion.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #7
CaliDisneyMama
Mouseketeer
 
CaliDisneyMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
Something to be aware of: The Fried Green Tomato sandwich at Hungry Bear is not Vegetarian, let alone vegan, due to the sauce used (contains fish) and last time I asked, the sauce could not be left off, as it was already on one of the components.
Thank you for posting this. The fried green tomato sandwich has been recommended quite a few times as a good vegetarian option, and was something I was considering for our trip next month, but I'll be passing on it now.
__________________
Countless day trips to Disneyland as a child.
Trips as an adult: May 1997, Feb. 2003, Dec. 2004, July 2005, Feb. 2006, March 2006, Nov. 2006 (honeymoon), Nov. 2010 (first trip with our son, at age 2), March 2013

Upcoming: Dec. 2013


CaliDisneyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #8
cmwade77
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,827

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDisneyMama View Post
Thank you for posting this. The fried green tomato sandwich has been recommended quite a few times as a good vegetarian option, and was something I was considering for our trip next month, but I'll be passing on it now.
If you really do want it, You can ask if they can leave the sauce off now or have reformulated it to be truly vegetarian. I know they had a lot of complaints about this and last I heard were working on a solution.

I honestly haven't asked again since and this was a couple of months after the new menu. But I thought it was important to let people know that it's not vegetarian, especially since the menu indicates its the vegetarian item the last time I looked.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
cmwade77
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,827

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post

Something to be aware of: The Fried Green Tomato sandwich at Hungry Bear is not Vegetarian, let alone vegan, due to the sauce used (contains fish) and last time I asked, the sauce could not be left off, as it was already on one of the components.

As others have said, Vegan options will be limited. Most table service locations will be able to come up with something, but most of them will be pasta with marinara sauce. The one exception that I know of is Carthay Circle, the chef will come out and work with you to come up with something that you will enjoy. He came out to our table after our meal and while he was there told is that He purposefully left vegan and vegetarian options off the menu so that he could make special dishes for those with dietary needs.

From what I hear, Napa Rose will do the same, but I have no first hand experience.
I feel a little odd quoting myself, but the Disney Parks Blog has posted that the Fried Green Tomato sandwich no longer has anchovies in the sauce. It still isn't vegan, but is apparently vegetarian. I would still check when you get there though.

Also, I have confirmed with someone that works the Dole Whip stand that the Dole Whip is now completely vegan, as the formula they recently switched two eliminated milk solids. (Places outside of Disney that sell dole whip may not have the vegan version, so you should definitely ask).
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #10
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran
 
clanmcculloch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,565

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
The Gumbos, fruit bars, popcorn and Veggie Skewers are definitely not Vegan. The veggie skewers are grilled in a butter sauce. The popcorn now contains dairy solids in the topping to make up for the change in oil from what I have been told. The fruit bars contain dairy solids as well. The Gumbos may contain dairy, as well as other non vegan ingredients.

I would strongly recommend asking though, as the ingredients do change from time to time.

One that isn't listed here for Vegans is Dole Whip. Last I heard they have switched to a formula that is 100% vegan. I recommend asking before purchasing, as sometimes the formula contains milk solids. Overall though people have been liking the version that doesn't have milk solids more (its actually creamier, which makes no sense), so they have been making the switch.

As for the other places, be sure to ask first, they may or may not be completely vegan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
I feel a little odd quoting myself, but the Disney Parks Blog has posted that the Fried Green Tomato sandwich no longer has anchovies in the sauce. It still isn't vegan, but is apparently vegetarian. I would still check when you get there though.

Also, I have confirmed with someone that works the Dole Whip stand that the Dole Whip is now completely vegan, as the formula they recently switched two eliminated milk solids. (Places outside of Disney that sell dole whip may not have the vegan version, so you should definitely ask).
The popcorn has milk solids? UGH!!! That really stinks. At WDW popcorn is a staple snack for my 12yo. Any idea on the brand of the topping?

Vanilla Dole Whips are not vegan. Vanilla still contains casein. Pineapple and orange Dole Whips were modified to no longer contain casein and are now vegan. What I need to find out is their practices for making the stuff. At WDW it turns out they make all flavours in the same bucket (after rinsing, but still same bucket for mixing) so for people like us who aren't actually vegan but look into vegan options because of milk and egg allergies, this could be a risk for cross contamination which could be dangerous.
__________________
Me DH DD(16) DD(13) DSD(32) DSSil (40) DSD(30) DGS(4)


Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010


February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #11
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,695

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
Vanilla Dole Whips are not vegan. Vanilla still contains casein. Pineapple and orange Dole Whips were modified to no longer contain casein and are now vegan. What I need to find out is their practices for making the stuff. At WDW it turns out they make all flavours in the same bucket (after rinsing, but still same bucket for mixing) so for people like us who aren't actually vegan but look into vegan options because of milk and egg allergies, this could be a risk for cross contamination which could be dangerous.
Disneyland only offers Pineapple Dole Whips.
Malcon10t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan
 
disneychrista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Northern California
Posts: 11,244

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post

Vanilla Dole Whips are not vegan. Vanilla still contains casein. Pineapple and orange Dole Whips were modified to no longer contain casein and are now vegan. What I need to find out is their practices for making the stuff. At WDW it turns out they make all flavours in the same bucket (after rinsing, but still same bucket for mixing) so for people like us who aren't actually vegan but look into vegan options because of milk and egg allergies, this could be a risk for cross contamination which could be dangerous.
Disneyland only has Pineapple so no issues with cross contamination
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
cmwade77
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,827

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
The popcorn has milk solids? UGH!!! That really stinks. At WDW popcorn is a staple snack for my 12yo. Any idea on the brand of the topping?

Vanilla Dole Whips are not vegan. Vanilla still contains casein. Pineapple and orange Dole Whips were modified to no longer contain casein and are now vegan. What I need to find out is their practices for making the stuff. At WDW it turns out they make all flavours in the same bucket (after rinsing, but still same bucket for mixing) so for people like us who aren't actually vegan but look into vegan options because of milk and egg allergies, this could be a risk for cross contamination which could be dangerous.
It is Orville Reddenbaker from what I understand for the Popcorn, but people are reporting that they have switched back to one that is vegan, so as always, be sure to ask. One advantage that you will find at Disneyland over Disney World is that due to living in California and the attitude people have about Vegan food is that most of the CMs know what is or is not truly vegan.

Disneyland only sells the Pineapple flavor of Dole Whip and the other items they sell there are pineapple juice and prepackaged goods. There are cherries there as well, for the Dole Whip Floats as I recall. So, I think cross contamination is not something to worry about there.

Now, we have found a new vegan restaurant that is near Disneyland (if you have a car or are willing to take Public Transit) and is actually very affordable, called Healthy Junk.

Here is a link to them on Yelp:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/healthy-junk-anaheim
Note: They have some odd hours, so check Yelp to make sure they are open before going.

If you prefer raw foods, there is 118 Degrees near by as well:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/118-degrees-anaheim-2
This is a lot more expensive though.

Just a note in the interest of ful disclosure: I am not Vegan; however, DW and I sometimes do enjoy Vegan food for a change of pace and we do have friends that are Vegan, so we try to pay attention to what is or is not Vegan for them. My point here is to always check for yourself, especially with how quickly things change.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #14
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us
 
DSNY4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: N. California
Posts: 3,100

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
Something to be aware of: The Fried Green Tomato sandwich at Hungry Bear is not Vegetarian, let alone vegan, due to the sauce used (contains fish) and last time I asked, the sauce could not be left off, as it was already on one of the components.
No way!?! Aww man. I won't even tell my husband. He is the vegetarian in our house and we always get this. I didn't even think to ask, we usually only ask when we suspect that it might have an animal product in it. I'll have to break it to him before our next trip
__________________
"Being green is not a trend. It is, perhaps, the most important challenge of our time." -John Fahey-

Countdown over Can't wait to get another trip on the calendar!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:29 AM   #15
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl
 
ArchOwl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sunny CA
Posts: 2,223

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY4ever View Post

No way!?! Aww man. I won't even tell my husband. He is the vegetarian in our house and we always get this. I didn't even think to ask, we usually only ask when we suspect that it might have an animal product in it. I'll have to break it to him before our next trip
I am pretty sure Disney released a blurb on their blog that said the Fried Green Tomato Sandwich was vegetarian now. They took out the anchovies. Not sure of its vegan status, but I am pretty sure it is vegetarian now. You can always ask to be sure.
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.