Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #1
kristieboyd
Mouseketeer

"Dumb" question about iPhone "Airplane Mode"

Please forgive my dumb question, but I am not terribly technology savvy.

If I put my phone on Airplane Mode while on the ship, will this prevent charges related to roaming, texts/calls coming through, etc? I want to be able to use the apps I have on my phone (specifically my white noise/digital clock app) but don't want the charges for being out of my area! I normally text a lot, and while most of my friends/family know about the trip, I'm sure a few will still text me while I'm gone. I don't want those coming through and causing charges!

Thanks!
kristieboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
bellelinus
You have liberally applied fluff as filler as well
Let's not forget to feed our hearts and minds as well
I wish you -- and your yellow underwear -- the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristieboyd View Post
Please forgive my dumb question, but I am not terribly technology savvy.

If I put my phone on Airplane Mode while on the ship, will this prevent charges related to roaming, texts/calls coming through, etc? I want to be able to use the apps I have on my phone (specifically my white noise/digital clock app) but don't want the charges for being out of my area! I normally text a lot, and while most of my friends/family know about the trip, I'm sure a few will still text me while I'm gone. I don't want those coming through and causing charges!

Thanks!
Yes, putting it in airplane mode will allow you to use it as a clock and even to use it in port to check email if you can get free wifi, but it is basically turned off as a phone and you can't get or receive calls, texts, or use data.

bellelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #3
MrRay
Mouseketeer

Keep in mind your phone wont automatically adjust to time zone changes so be careful using it as an alarm clock if you happen to pass through one.
MrRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
123LuckyMom
Mouseketeer

If you prefer, you can just turn off cellular usage. Then if there is wifi, you can still access the Internet without incurring fees.
123LuckyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #5
mamamac
Mouseketeer

When I was in Honduras back in October I turned it onto to airplane mode and then went in and turned my wifi back on. I was scared to death that I would still get roaming charges, but I didn't.

4/2002 - Family Reunion at Contemporary
5/2009 - Family fun with neighbors and inlaws at Windsor Hills
5/2010 - A "Re-do of the Re-do Vacation" at Wilderness Lodge
5/2011 - Contemporary with Oma and Opa

June 2013 Looking forward to our first cruise with the family!
mamamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #6
2Princess&aPrince
no matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing...the dreams that you wish will come true!

Not a dumb question at all!! I was wondering the same thing. I sail in 6 days and am so glad you asked this question...

Disney Magic - November 15-22, 2008
Disney Magic - October 30-Nov. 6, 2010
Disney Fantasy - February 9-16, 2013
Disney Wonder - February 2-7, 2014
2Princess&aPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets

Correct. Put it in airplane mode. DON'T move that toggle until you are home . But while its still in airplane mode you have an option to enable wifi. Then if you find wifi in port you will have use of iMessages, Internet, can check email, etc. But no calls or such come thru. But you can text via iMessage with others on Apple products while in the wifi area.
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
Jareds_mommy
DIS Veteran

COOOOOOL I didn't know I could turn the wi-fi part pack on after airplane mode was turned on, it took a few toggles but it just worked at home here.
Thanks

Jareds_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

You don't need to put it in airplane mode. Just turn off your data roaming. You won't be charged for incoming texts and calls as long as you don't answer them.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
Jareds_mommy
DIS Veteran

when we come to the US even though I turn off data rioaming I still get texts and am charged $1.60 each for them unless I put a 30 day US data plan on for $40

Jareds_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
DLBDS
Loves that Sweetened Condensed Milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Tea View Post
Correct. Put it in airplane mode. DON'T move that toggle until you are home . But while its still in airplane mode you have an option to enable wifi. Then if you find wifi in port you will have use of iMessages, Internet, can check email, etc. But no calls or such come thru. But you can text via iMessage with others on Apple products while in the wifi area.
My mother and I both have an iPhone4. Are you saying that I can text her using wi-fi only and no charges will accrue? That would be great. Just don't know if I wanna take the risk.
May 2011 Disney Dream (9674) / Wilderness Lodge (4034 Woods View)
October 2010
Disney Wonder (6598)/Wilderness Lodge (7107 Club Level)/Animal KingdomLodge (4311 Club Level)
February 2009 Port Orleans Riverside (2404 Alligator Bayou) May 2009 Hard Rock Hotel/Swan/DIS Podcast Cruise (Disney Wonder) (6592)
September 2008 Contemporary Resort (5150 Garden Wing)
February 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7044 Club Level) June 2007 Hawthorn Suites (Off Property) October 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7048 Club Level)
Nov/Dec 2006 - Wilderness Lodge (3167 Courtyard)
DLBDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #12
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

An Iphone can access wireless in airplane mode. Once the phone is put in airplane mode, turn the wireless back on without taking it out of airplane mode.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
hudson3709
"It started with a mouse"

As said here only turning data off will not suffice as you will still receive text messages and most likely be charged for them.

As stated here put phone in airplane mode and turn wifi back on then use iMessage or one of many other free texting apps. You would of course need to find a wifi spot at the port for this to work.
hudson3709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #14
TwingleMomFl
Mouseketeer

I learn so much from these threads! There is never a dumb question! I am sending this while in airplane mode connected to the Internet!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #15
Ancaster
Mouseketeer

The safest thing to do is take out the SIM card and put it in something like an SD card case, the kind you get when you buy SD cards. In the same case, keep a safety pin in it to use when popping the SIM tray out to remove and re-insert the SIM. Keep this case in your wallet or purse and always know where it is, when you decide to put the SIM back into your phone.

There will absolutely be no mistakes as there is no physical connection to your cell carrier. This is really helpful if you let your kids play with your phone and they figure out how to switch airplane mode off.

Wifi will still work. So in wifi zones, you can make calls using the app Talkatone (free) and text using TextPlus (free). Note both apps do not require the receiver to have the app or even a smartphone which is nice.
That worked no problem in our hotel and at the airports.

Because the iPhone has a GPS chip, full GPS apps also work without a SIM. The maps are stored locally but the full-featured apps are not free, eg; TomTom.

Wifi on DCL is expensive and really slow, I am not even sure it will support VoIP like Talkatone.

I'm from Canada, so roaming charges for voice and data are very expensive. My other options beyond the above are to pay for a travel package from my CDN carrier, or, buy a U.S. SIM in my unlocked phone and add PAYG minutes/data.
Ancaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: