Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Monorail3
Carousel of Progress

Using my DSLR in Disney

What do people reccomend bring for eqpt. While trying to still enjoy your family vacation? I have a Nikon D90 and wasn't sure what I should bring for Lenses and flash to the parks while still trying to go on all the rides and enjoy my vacation
Man has a dream, and that's the start. He follows his dream with mind and heart. And when it becomes a reality, It's a dream come true for you and me. Oh there's a great big beautiful tomorrow. Shining at the end of every day, Yes there's a great big beautiful tomorrow - Just a day away!

Monorail3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

I travel light in the parks. I have my camera on a comfy strap around my neck with a 28-105 walkaround lens on. I use a Lenscoat Bodybag to protect it from getting knocked around. Sometimes I'll stick a fast prime for dark rides, my fisheye or a tele zoom in the pack I use to carry the water and ponchos in. I also keep a plastic bag incase it rains.

If we all agreed all the time the world would be an awfully boring place. I'm here to make it interesting!

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
havoc315
DIS Veteran

I've travelled heavy (big bag, multiple lenses), and travelled very light (nothing but an advanced point & shoot). Two very different photographic experiences, and loved both.

So it's really what you're comfortable carrying, how much you are comfortable lugging around, understanding that it can make just walking around the park more cumbersome.

I do recommend bringing a decent amount of your gear -- anything you might realistically truly want to use -- with the understanding you can leave most of it in the room. Just pull out the tripod 1 night. Just pull out the super telephoto for the day at Animal Kingdom. Etc.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I travel heavy also...multiple lenses...all my gear. I hate not having something. :P
Old 02-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
Monorail3
Carousel of Progress

I have a case logic large case that to me insn't too bad. It was on my last trip that I had my point and shoot and talked to another gentleman that was using this and I had to get one.

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-SLR...SLR+case+logic

In it I keep my more common used items.

D90
Extended grip with extra battery
Flash
6 lens filters
55-300 mm Tele
18-105 mm

I'm just concerned when I go on rides what I do with it? As my wife and daughter go on all of them together
Man has a dream, and that's the start. He follows his dream with mind and heart. And when it becomes a reality, It's a dream come true for you and me. Oh there's a great big beautiful tomorrow. Shining at the end of every day, Yes there's a great big beautiful tomorrow - Just a day away!

Monorail3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
littlekidagain
Mouseketeer

I bring everything to Disney. I leave what I don't want that day in the room. The last 2 trips I brought a travel tripod and on both trips it has broken! I haven't had much luck! My next trip I will bring my full size tripod.

This is what I carry everyday in the parks:
Crumpler 6 Million Dollar bag
Pentax K-5 w/battery Grip
Pentax DA 18-55 WR
Sigma 10-20mm
Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8
Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8
Old 02-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

My first recommendation is to decide what type of vacation you want. As you can readily see by the previous posts, it is an idividual decision. For myself, I bring a lot of gear because photography is an integral part of my every 1 1/2-2 year trip. I also have to be cognizant of weight and bulk because I fly to WDW. I will continue to fly Southwest until such times as they start charging for checked bags!! My family allows me to go off on photography jaunts by myself. It also helps that the DW is also a photographer! If my plan was to spend as much time with the family taking in the sights, rides and attractions, I probably would go light maybe even using P & S'. It really is dependent on what you are going to shoot because things like fireworks traditionally requires a tripod. Lowlight rides require a large aperture lens. Safari ride is shot best with a zoom out to 150-200mm. So as is apparent, it really requires you to make a decision how much and what you want to shoot. Here is an example of what I bring (I try to shoot everything)

WDW Camera Equipment 2011 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: