Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran
 
nzdisneymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Florida
Posts: 5,788

All things GREECE and TURKEY port excursions

Hi all. We are so excited to be on one of the two Magical sailings that will be porting in Greece and Turkey this summer. We wanted to have a place for discussion of the shore excursions, not just those offered by DCL but what might be put together for private tours, do-it-yourself activities, etc. from other DISers who may have been to these ports with other cruise lines or in their own land-travels.

So if you have experience in any of these ports, please chime in and share your experiences, tips, advice, what to watch out for.

These are the ports:

Piraeus (Athens), Greece
Mykonos, Greece
Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey
__________________
Cindy D.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
bellelinus
You have liberally applied fluff as filler as well
Let's not forget to feed our hearts and minds as well
I wish you -- and your yellow underwear -- the best
 
bellelinus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 7,229

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
Hi all. We are so excited to be on one of the two Magical sailings that will be porting in Greece and Turkey this summer. We wanted to have a place for discussion of the shore excursions, not just those offered by DCL but what might be put together for private tours, do-it-yourself activities, etc. from other DISers who may have been to these ports with other cruise lines or in their own land-travels.

So if you have experience in any of these ports, please chime in and share your experiences, tips, advice, what to watch out for.

These are the ports:

Piraeus (Athens), Greece
Mykonos, Greece
Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey
Thanks so much for starting this, Cindy! I will say that my middle daughter has been to Athens twice, in a collaboration with the American Community School there. She says it will be very easy to take the subway from the port and end up at the Acropolis, and then to wander around the Plaka area for shopping and eating (she stayed in Plaka when there). She also says that no Athenians pay to ride the subway, and that if we do, we will be labeling ourselves as tourists! That being said, the subway system is very inexpensive and certainly not worth risking any trouble by skipping out on a fare (as I told her). If they are on strike, I will negotiate with a taxi at the port.
__________________
--Julie

bellelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-31-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
canadakath
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 223

Does anyone know anything about the Water Park in the Kusadasi excursions? Is it better just to find a beach to go to nearby or do you think my 9 and (almost) 7 year old would like this?
__________________
Kath, DH, DS 9 , DS 7

POFQ - May 2009 | AKL - November 2009 | CR - November 2010 | 7-nt Western on the Magic 1/22/2011 | CR - November 2011 | POR - November 2012 |Discovering the Magic of the Med! 12-nt with Greek Isles 6/15/13 | POLY - November 2013
canadakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
slg
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: victoria bc canada
Posts: 1,480

What to do in Mykonos? Pretty slim pickin's on the excursions! A family of 5 has to get a 15 seater mini-van which is super expensive, but we're too big for a sedan.

What is everyone else doing?
__________________
DCL WONDER Alaska Cruise August 19-26, 2013
DCL MAGIC Med Cruise July 13-25, 2013
DCL FANTASY NYE Dec. 29- Jan. 5, 2013
DCL MAGIC NY to Bahamas July 20-28,2012
DCL DREAM Cruise Dec. 18-22, 2011
WDW. POR Dec. 2011
DCL WONDER Alaska Cruise July 12-19, 2011
DCL MAGIC Baltic Cruise July 6-18, 2010
ABD Ireland July 22, 2009
DCL MAGIC Mexican Riviera June 1-8 2008
DCL MAGIC Eastern April 28-May 5, 2007
WDW-POR April 2007
DCL MAGIC Western May 6-13, 2006
WDW-POR Apr 2006
WDW-All Star Movies 1999
DL-1989,1990,1994,1997,2004,2007,2008,2009,2011,2013
slg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran
 
nzdisneymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Florida
Posts: 5,788

Quote:
Originally Posted by slg
What to do in Mykonos? Pretty slim pickin's on the excursions! A family of 5 has to get a 15 seater mini-van which is super expensive, but we're too big for a sedan.

What is everyone else doing?
We are a family of 4 with the same issue. I like that Malta excursions have an in-between option.

For Mykonos, we are going to go into town on our own. I haven't looked to see if we dock or tender. If we tender, they drop us off right in Old Town, and if we dock, it's about a mile and they usually have a shuttle. At least that's what I have read so far.
__________________
Cindy D.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
poohmomof5
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,601

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadakath View Post
Does anyone know anything about the Water Park in the Kusadasi excursions? Is it better just to find a beach to go to nearby or do you think my 9 and (almost) 7 year old would like this?
Great question! I am wondering the same thing. My husband thinks I am crazy for wanting to go to a water park when in Turkey, BUT with the heat and the long touring days, I think the kids would love to do Ephesus in the am, and then the water park in the afternoon. A nice mix of fun and educational stuff...
__________________
Poohmom 100K



21 day trip report LIVE from Amtrak, Disneyland & EB Repo through the Panama Canal!
poohmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:03 AM   #7
canadakath
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohmomof5 View Post
Great question! I am wondering the same thing. My husband thinks I am crazy for wanting to go to a water park when in Turkey, BUT with the heat and the long touring days, I think the kids would love to do Ephesus in the am, and then the water park in the afternoon. A nice mix of fun and educational stuff...
I am trying to focus the hard core touring stuff on Rome and Athens days, and let the kids have a break for the other ports. It's Europe - there is history everywhere. If we try to see it all they will end up like me and my siblings when we used to live there and my mom dragged us in every church in every town...bitter and uninterested! We also have 4 days in Paris post cruise, so I really don't want them to be sick of touring. So we will be doing nothing but the beach in Mykonos, and possibly not much more than a quick wander in Malta followed by swimming as well. I figured the water park might mix it up a little bit...

I haven't had time to go through them in a lot of detail, but I am disappointed that there doesn't seem to be an excursion that does both a stop at the Olympic stadium and the Acropolis. Seems to be one or the other. If only we could do the ABD add-on for Athens and Rome only!
__________________
Kath, DH, DS 9 , DS 7

POFQ - May 2009 | AKL - November 2009 | CR - November 2010 | 7-nt Western on the Magic 1/22/2011 | CR - November 2011 | POR - November 2012 |Discovering the Magic of the Med! 12-nt with Greek Isles 6/15/13 | POLY - November 2013
canadakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #8
debsters41
DIS Veteran
 
debsters41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 1,288

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadakath View Post
I haven't had time to go through them in a lot of detail, but I am disappointed that there doesn't seem to be an excursion that does both a stop at the Olympic stadium and the Acropolis. Seems to be one or the other. If only we could do the ABD add-on for Athens and Rome only!
There isn't a whole lot to 'see' at the Olympic Stadium. It is really easy to do on your own, time willing. The Acropolis will not take up much of your time but the museum will

To get to the Olympic Stadium, you take the 'Green Line" trains (Metro Line 1) towards Kiffisia and get off at the Eirini stop. It is right there in front of you. To get back to the port from there, get on the same train line going towards Pireas and take it to the end. This train is a little slow, though, because it is the old line. Figure on it taking an hour. I am not sure about that time, though. I may try to time it one day, but I won't have time to do so until June (I work 7 days a week).

Perhaps more interesting is the old Olympic Stadium? I would look them up on the Internet and see what looks more interesting.

Something else that might be fun and is VERY easy with the metro system is the guards at Parliament. The Metro lets you out right outside. The Syntagma metro station is itself a 'sight' because there is a cross section of the wall that shows one of the skeletons they found as they were digging.

Monastiraki station also has some ancient dig sites, I believe.
__________________
debsters41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .
 
StitchandPooh'sMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 6,612

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadakath View Post
I haven't had time to go through them in a lot of detail, but I am disappointed that there doesn't seem to be an excursion that does both a stop at the Olympic stadium and the Acropolis. Seems to be one or the other. If only we could do the ABD add-on for Athens and Rome only!
We have booked a private tour in Athens with Athens By Taxi - I read about them on Cruise Critic. We are doing the Acropolis, Panathenaic Stadium, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and Changing of the Guard in the morning, then driving to Cape Sounion in the afternoon. A mix of ruins and beautiful countryside. They also go to the New Acropolis Museum, but I think the kids will enjoy the Panathenaic Stadium and Changing of the Guard more than the museum. The only way to do it all in Athens was to not do Cape Sounion, and we thought a full day of ruins and museums might be too much for the kids.
StitchandPooh'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .
 
StitchandPooh'sMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 6,612

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadakath View Post
Does anyone know anything about the Water Park in the Kusadasi excursions? Is it better just to find a beach to go to nearby or do you think my 9 and (almost) 7 year old would like this?
We are doing a Med cruise with RCCL in June, and they also list the water park as an excursion. We had considered going for our kids (14 and 10) to give them a break from the ruins, but if you read Cruise Critic, so many people say that Ephesus was the highlight of their cruise. I am concerned my kids might have ruins fatigue by then, but I would also hate to go all the way to Turkey and miss Ephesus if it is that impressive. We are doing a private tour of Ephesus and the terrace houses, then shopping in the afternoon.

I hadn't considered trying to do the water park in the afternoon - that might work. The RCCL excursion page says this:

OVERVIEW: Designed for those seeking fun and excitement, this tour includes a water park adventure at Aquapark. HIGHLIGHTS: After your transfer to the park, enjoy the day at one of the most well-known water parks in the Mediterranean. Enjoy the multiple pools and more than 12 slides designed to delight children and adults. NOTES: Due to safety and security issues and due to the nature of the venue, guests are fully responsible for potential incidents in the park. Other activities such as swimming with dolphins, the dolphin encounter, the shark dive, and the coral reef snorkeling are available at an additional cost and can be booked at the park.

It sounds kind of like a cross between Atlantis and Typhoon Lagoon. While it would be cool to say we went to a water park in Turkey, it also sounds like an experience we can have several other places.
StitchandPooh'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #11
debsters41
DIS Veteran
 
debsters41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 1,288

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellelinus View Post
Thanks so much for starting this, Cindy! I will say that my middle daughter has been to Athens twice, in a collaboration with the American Community School there. She says it will be very easy to take the subway from the port and end up at the Acropolis, and then to wander around the Plaka area for shopping and eating (she stayed in Plaka when there). She also says that no Athenians pay to ride the subway, and that if we do, we will be labeling ourselves as tourists! That being said, the subway system is very inexpensive and certainly not worth risking any trouble by skipping out on a fare (as I told her). If they are on strike, I will negotiate with a taxi at the port.
Yes, it is true that it is easy to use the subway system to get to the Acropolis and the Acropolis Museum (Closed Mondays). It is about a 20 minute walk from the cruise port to the train station (Get off the boat early and wear a hat and copious amounts of sunscreen, you are probably not used to the heat here). From there, you will take the train (You don't have to worry about which train, the port is the terminal station so all trains leaving go in the same direction) up to Monastiraki station (All stations labeled in Greek as well as English). At Monastiraki you will switch to the Red Line towards Ag. Dimitrios and get off at the Acropolis stop. It really is very easy.

What isn't true is that Athenians do not pay. The truth is, most of us have a monthly pass. I recommend getting a daily pass for 4 Euro. This will cover all trains and busses for the day. It pays for itself from the third time you use it. Both a one-time use ticket and a Daily pass ticket need to be validated before you enter the platform area. You really cannot miss the validation machines. Just put the ticket in and it comes back out. You only have to validate the daily pass once, it is good for the rest of the day.

Have fun in Athens! I may come and oogle at the ship when she comes in!
__________________
debsters41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
bellelinus
You have liberally applied fluff as filler as well
Let's not forget to feed our hearts and minds as well
I wish you -- and your yellow underwear -- the best
 
bellelinus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 7,229

Quote:
Originally Posted by debsters41 View Post
Yes, it is true that it is easy to use the subway system to get to the Acropolis and the Acropolis Museum (Closed Mondays). It is about a 20 minute walk from the cruise port to the train station (Get off the boat early and wear a hat and copious amounts of sunscreen, you are probably not used to the heat here). From there, you will take the train (You don't have to worry about which train, the port is the terminal station so all trains leaving go in the same direction) up to Monastiraki station (All stations labeled in Greek as well as English). At Monastiraki you will switch to the Red Line towards Ag. Dimitrios and get off at the Acropolis stop. It really is very easy.

What isn't true is that Athenians do not pay. The truth is, most of us have a monthly pass. I recommend getting a daily pass for 4 Euro. This will cover all trains and busses for the day. It pays for itself from the third time you use it. Both a one-time use ticket and a Daily pass ticket need to be validated before you enter the platform area. You really cannot miss the validation machines. Just put the ticket in and it comes back out. You only have to validate the daily pass once, it is good for the rest of the day.

Have fun in Athens! I may come and oogle at the ship when she comes in!
Maybe you should have a talk with the kids from the American Community School about paying! My daughter did have a pass when she was there but reports many regular students did not and still rode. Of course no one from the Disboards is ever going to even consider not paying, I just thought it was a funny thing to hear.
__________________
--Julie

bellelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #13
fidldidi
Earning My Ears
 
fidldidi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 65

We did a Greece/Turkey cruise last year, not DCL, and had stops in Mykonos and Ephesus/Kudasai. Ephesus is amazing, a highlight of the whole trip. IMO if you hit that port but don't see the ruins site you are really missing out. It's so grand, even the kids will really get something out of it. Mykonos is fun to just walk around the winding streets, shop, etc... It will give a good taste of a greek village.
fidldidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #14
tajz90
Mama D
 
tajz90's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,305

Just joining so I don't miss anything I need to know for this summer
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #15
rossjen2
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 78

subscribing...

..and looking forward to learning more about our Greece/Turkey options.

Thanks for the great info about doing Athens on our own. I think that is what we are going to do because none of the port adventures really seemed to speak to me.

While folks are discussing Athens, I'm curious about getting from the ship to the to the metro station in Piraeus. It sounds like it could potential be a long hot walk. It sounds like some cruise lines provide buses to get you closer to the station. Just wondering if anyone knows if DCL will provide buses? Is it possible to take a taxi? I don't think we'd mind but don't want to exhaust our 4yr old son before we even get to the Acropolis.... Thanks!

Also just curious if anyone is familiar with the Athen's Happy Train (http://www.athenshappytrain.com/). Sounds like a cheap, easy, and toddler friendly way to get around the sights in Athens.

Thanks,
jen
rossjen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.