Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
huhwhat
Mouseketeer

at the Poly now............

two hours after checking in on Saturday I started feeling unwell....I noticed the wall paper was seperated from the wall in the bathroom.....I moved it back to find a wall of black mold.....they moved us right away to a new room and gave us $150 resort credit....seemed all was well....so it is now Thursday and the entire family is sick.....I dropped my comb in the bathrom and when I bent down to get it I noticed mold inder the vanity in the bathroom......uggghhhhh .....tomorrow is my check out date and I really do not want to be exposed to the mold another night....I am really disappointed that this is health hazard is allowed to go on unchecked....I am sure all the room probably have mold........
PoP 2010,2011,2011
WDL 2008
huhwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Debrn
Mouseketeer

More than likely a virus making you all sick
Hope you feel better quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhwhat View Post
two hours after checking in on Saturday I started feeling unwell....I noticed the wall paper was seperated from the wall in the bathroom.....I moved it back to find a wall of black mold.....they moved us right away to a new room and gave us $150 resort credit....seemed all was well....so it is now Thursday and the entire family is sick.....I dropped my comb in the bathrom and when I bent down to get it I noticed mold inder the vanity in the bathroom......uggghhhhh .....tomorrow is my check out date and I really do not want to be exposed to the mold another night....I am really disappointed that this is health hazard is allowed to go on unchecked....I am sure all the room probably have mold........
10/10 BWV/BLT
03/12 Poly TPV, 10/12 Pop/Dolphin
02/13 AKV
03/13 YC CL,Dolphin/CSR

ME &DBF DD 13DS 10
Debrn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
Mommy2TwoMickeys
DIS Veteran

Oh WOW! So sorry to hear this happening to you & the family. I have to be honest, it makes me feel a bit uneasy for the fact that my family and I will be arriving at the Poly on 3/2 and we have a 3 1/2 yr old and 8 month old......
Oct.2007-WL,Sept.2008-WL,Dec.2009-Polynesian,Oct.2010-AKL_Grand Villa,Sept.2011-Polynesian, Oct.2012-Polynesian,Mar.2013-Polynesian,Nov.2013-VGF_2BR Lake View,May 2014-BWV_1BR BoardwalkView, Dec.2014-VGF_Grand Villa

Mommy2TwoMickeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

The room does sound gross, but it's extremely unlikely it's making you sick.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
infopurposesonly
Mouseketeer

Lots of viruses going aorund, but mold allergies can be serious. I hope they can find you a better room. We stayed at the Poly once and won't stay again.
infopurposesonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

A 2 hour exposure to mold would be unlikely to cause illness, unless you were allergic to the spores or severely immunocompromised. It is much more likely, given recent articles about outbreaks of the flu, norovirus, and a couple of other illnesses, that your family has succumbed to one of these.

Of course no one wants to see mold growing in their resort rooms. But when you are in an area where heat and humidity are a fact of life you have to realize that mold and mildew are also a fact of life and something that has to be battled constantly. And while unsightly, not all molds are pathogenic. I'm sure management was grateful that you reported the problem so that they could deal with it.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydweller View Post
And the room refreshes will be getting rid of that oo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
A 2 hour exposure to mold would be unlikely to cause illness, unless you were allergic to the spores or severely immunocompromised. It is much more likely, given recent articles about outbreaks of the flu, norovirus, and a couple of other illnesses, that your family has succumbed to one of these.

Of course no one wants to see mold growing in their resort rooms. But when you are in an area where heat and humidity are a fact of life you have to realize that mold and mildew are also a fact of life and something that has to be battled constantly. And while unsightly, not all molds are pathogenic. I'm sure management was grateful that you reported the problem so that they could deal with it.
Not true, we're very healthy people who do not have allergies. My husband and I were house hunting. We walked into a house and in under 5 minutes, I started feeling choked up, then my husband and the agent started feeling unwell. Turned out there was black mold growing in a cabinet near the sink.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:03 PM   #8
huhwhat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Not true, we're very healthy people who do not have allergies. My husband and I were house hunting. We walked into a house and in under 5 minutes, I started feeling choked up, then my husband and the agent started feeling unwell. Turned out there was black mold growing in a cabinet near the sink.
yes ! this is exactly how I felt...it is scary....
PoP 2010,2011,2011
WDL 2008
Old 02-01-2013, 02:09 AM   #9
OThopeful35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
I agree mold DOES make people sick. It makes me and DS son sick. DS had to be rushed to the emergency due to black mold we had in an apartment before. I had to break my lease and get out of there asap!!

POR~Aug 2010 (1st visit) POFQ Aug 2011 POP/POFQ Aug 2013
OThopeful35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
huhwhat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
The room does sound gross, but it's extremely unlikely it's making you sick.
I am extremely allergic to mold........ ps rooms 3940 tukolou and room 3311 fiji
PoP 2010,2011,2011
WDL 2008
Old 01-31-2013, 11:31 AM   #11
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

And the room refreshes will be getting rid of that oo.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:20 PM   #12
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Oh you poor thing. I know very well what that's like!

We rented a condo from my BIL for a year or so, and only once have I ever felt worse for a long period of time. When we went to move out, we pulled the bed and dressers away from the wall, and black mold was everywhere. When we took things out of the walk-in closet, the back of the closet's floor was damp. UGH.

And the only other time I'd ever been that sick was in an apartment similar to the condo (both half under the ground floor), when upon move-out I realized that my whole windowsill, which I hadn't seen b/c I kept the blinds firmly closed since they looked right out on the parking lot, was covered in black mold.

In the condo I blamed it on a brand new indoor cat and early pregnancy, but I wasn't pregnant the whole time, and I got a lot better *as soon as* we left (and took the backs of the dressers off and replaced the bedframe).

For people who are sensitive, 2 hours exposure can indeed cause tremendous problems.

My mom was in a hotel for ONE hour once, started going into a major asthma attack, and it was because of mold inside the a/c unit.

It sucks to be the canary in a coal mine, but the reality is, NO ONE should be around that stuff, even if you're not as sensitive to it as others are.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:36 PM   #13
jalaine
Mouseketeer

Ugh, so sorry you had to go through that! I'm another one allergic to mold and even a short exposure to serious mold would cause my lungs to feel like I'm underwater. I hope the room refreshes will take care of this...might feel better requesting a newly redone room for our late April trip...
Old 01-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
pl4bby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhwhat
This happened at SSR also I got a huge resort credit but we all get sick.
pl4bby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #15
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

That is awful! I have a severe mold allergy and would have gotten ill very quickly as well. I am not one to think people are entitled to things all the time, but it does sound like $150 resort credit was a little lax given you were staying in a $500 room and it sounds like it was a substantial amount of mold, not just a very small section that I understand can occur in the humid Florida weather. I guess I am thankful we can't afford to stay at the Poly!
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: