Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
zoemurr
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 2,453

Universal Discounts

Right now there is the 3rd day/4th night free promotion with travel until 6/30. We are plannig to go the very end of August. I realize there may not be a promo over the summer, but last Aug is not usually considered peak time.

Any idea when a promotion for those dates would come out? I assume if I book now they will change it if it goes down?

Thanks!
zoemurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney
 
Metro West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NW Orlando, FL
Posts: 44,324
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoemurr View Post
Right now there is the 3rd day/4th night free promotion with travel until 6/30. We are plannig to go the very end of August. I realize there may not be a promo over the summer, but last Aug is not usually considered peak time.

Any idea when a promotion for those dates would come out? I assume if I book now they will change it if it goes down?

Thanks!
This belongs on the Universal resorts board...moving there now.
__________________
**** Universal Orlando annual passholder since 2004! ****
Metro West is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
dvcdisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,694

I wish this included the onsite resorts.
dvcdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
Lynne G
DIS Veteran
 
Lynne G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,307

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoemurr View Post
Right now there is the 3rd day/4th night free promotion with travel until 6/30. We are plannig to go the very end of August. I realize there may not be a promo over the summer, but last Aug is not usually considered peak time.

Any idea when a promotion for those dates would come out? I assume if I book now they will change it if it goes down?

Thanks!
I think they are still running the SMSM promotion - the more nights you stay, the better the discount. AP rates will pop up for that time of month too. We always vacation at the end of August. Portofino 2 years ago, and last year, the RPH. Liked both hotels. First year, I used the SMSM promo, second time, the AP. Yep, I bought the AP, and with the discount on the rooms and the discounts in the stores/restaurants, it financially was almost the same if I had bought a ticket and used the SMSM code.

You can always put in the code APH to see if any AP rates are there, and then do the math. Only 1 AP is needed to get the rate.

Also, yes, you can always call and get a better rate change. I first reserved with the SMSM last year, but then when I saw the AP rates, did the math, I called and they changed the rate. The hotels seem really good with ajdustments. You can also call them and ask them what discounts they have. They will tell you.

With the opening of Transformers this summer, I am not sure how the crowds will be this end of August. We found the best way to see how crowded USO is expecting, is to see when the park is closing. If early (other when closing for a private function) the less crowded USO is expecting. We thought the crowds were managable the last 2 ends of August.

I hope you have a great vacation whatever you decide. My kids are at an age that thrill rides are what we enjoy, so we enjoy 3 or 4 days to lounge and stroll through the USO parks. With the hotel's express pass, my kids so enjoy riding Spiderman over and over and over, and just being able to stand in a shorter line most of the time. Plus, early entry to IOA for Harry Potterland and pool hopping at the other hotels. We always stay onsite.
Lynne G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
zoemurr
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 2,453

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne G View Post
I think they are still running the SMSM promotion - the more nights you stay, the better the discount. AP rates will pop up for that time of month too. We always vacation at the end of August. Portofino 2 years ago, and last year, the RPH. Liked both hotels. First year, I used the SMSM promo, second time, the AP. Yep, I bought the AP, and with the discount on the rooms and the discounts in the stores/restaurants, it financially was almost the same if I had bought a ticket and used the SMSM code.

You can always put in the code APH to see if any AP rates are there, and then do the math. Only 1 AP is needed to get the rate.

Also, yes, you can always call and get a better rate change. I first reserved with the SMSM last year, but then when I saw the AP rates, did the math, I called and they changed the rate. The hotels seem really good with ajdustments. You can also call them and ask them what discounts they have. They will tell you.

With the opening of Transformers this summer, I am not sure how the crowds will be this end of August. We found the best way to see how crowded USO is expecting, is to see when the park is closing. If early (other when closing for a private function) the less crowded USO is expecting. We thought the crowds were managable the last 2 ends of August.

I hope you have a great vacation whatever you decide. My kids are at an age that thrill rides are what we enjoy, so we enjoy 3 or 4 days to lounge and stroll through the USO parks. With the hotel's express pass, my kids so enjoy riding Spiderman over and over and over, and just being able to stand in a shorter line most of the time. Plus, early entry to IOA for Harry Potterland and pool hopping at the other hotels. We always stay onsite.
My TA did call for me and I think all we got was a small AAA discount. The nights/day free promo ends 6/30.

We are going on a Dis Cruise on the 25th and wanted to go to Universal for a few days ahead. DD is a HP nut. We want to stay onsite mainly for the FOTL perk. I don't think the schedule for hours were out for Aug either. Because of the cruise we are not flexible with dates, so we'll make it work.
zoemurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
Lynne G
DIS Veteran
 
Lynne G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,307

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoemurr View Post
My TA did call for me and I think all we got was a small AAA discount. The nights/day free promo ends 6/30.

We are going on a Dis Cruise on the 25th and wanted to go to Universal for a few days ahead. DD is a HP nut. We want to stay onsite mainly for the FOTL perk. I don't think the schedule for hours were out for Aug either. Because of the cruise we are not flexible with dates, so we'll make it work.
Zoemurr,
Not sure why you would say it ends in june. Just checked their website here: http://www.loewshotels.com/en/specia...s/stayandsave2. It says the promotion is good as follows, and is in effect until the end of the year:

Choose from the dates below - Save 30%*:
January 1 – February 14, 2013;
April 21 - June 6, 2013
August 18 - October 3, 2013
November 11 - December 19, 2013

Stay 3 nights – save up to 10%
Stay 4 nights – save up to 20%
Stay 5 & 6 nights – save up to 25%
Stay 7 nights – save up to 30%

So unless you are not staying 3 nights or more, you should be able to get this rate. I would call the hotel directly. I have found their staff very helpful.
Lynne G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 28,995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne G View Post
Zoemurr,
Not sure why you would say it ends in june. Just checked their website here: http://www.loewshotels.com/en/specia...s/stayandsave2. It says the promotion is good as follows, and is in effect until the end of the year:

Choose from the dates below - Save 30%*:
January 1 – February 14, 2013;
April 21 - June 6, 2013
August 18 - October 3, 2013
November 11 - December 19, 2013

Stay 3 nights – save up to 10%
Stay 4 nights – save up to 20%
Stay 5 & 6 nights – save up to 25%
Stay 7 nights – save up to 30%

So unless you are not staying 3 nights or more, you should be able to get this rate. I would call the hotel directly. I have found their staff very helpful.

I think the OP must be referring to this offsite special...

http://www.universalorlando.com/Vaca...n-Package.aspx That is the only stay 3 get one night free special that there is.

OP, there is no onsite special that is stay 3 get one night free. I have never seen an onsite special where you stay 3 nights and get 1 free. There are just the stay more save more deals which probably work out to be a stay 3 get one free but aren't advertised as such. You should be able to get quite a good rate for the end of August.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
zoemurr
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 2,453

Ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
I think the OP must be referring to this offsite special...

http://www.universalorlando.com/Vaca...n-Package.aspx That is the only stay 3 get one night free special that there is.

OP, there is no onsite special that is stay 3 get one night free. I have never seen an onsite special where you stay 3 nights and get 1 free. There are just the stay more save more deals which probably work out to be a stay 3 get one free but aren't advertised as such. You should be able to get quite a good rate for the end of August.
Disney is so much easier.. I understand how that all works. Totally new to this.. Yes, that must be what I saw.

PPs.. should I try to book a "package" or just do the room/tix separately? We really want the FOTL pass. I got $210 a night on the Universal site, but $187 for the same nights on the Lowe's website. I tried calling the hotel but their lines were down.
zoemurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.