Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
pandanasbearz
Earning My Ears

Alcohol on Med cruise?

Hi everyone!

"So basically I'm booked on my 1st DCL cruise on August the 24th and since I am 18 and have read the FAQ on the disney cruise web stating:

The drinking age aboard ship is 21. Valid photo I.D. is required. Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to refuse sale and/or service to anyone.

In recognition of the expectations of our multi-national guests, for roundtrip cruises departing from European countries, where the legal drinking age is lower than 21, a parent or guardian who is sailing with his or her son(s) and/or daughter(s) and/or ward(s) who is between the ages of 18 and 20, may sign a beverage waiver allowing the 18 to 20 year old to consume alcoholic beverages while onboard. Parents or guardians may complete the beverage waiver in the Guest Ticket Booklet or inquire about the waivers upon check-in. Please note: The 18 to 20 year old must comply with all laws and Disney Cruise Line policies related to the consumption and distribution of alcohol in Europe, including among other things, agreeing to not provide alcoholic beverages to any other person, regardless of age. This policy is subject to change without notice."

Does anyone have any experience on this? I'm just want to make sure since I study in England, I'm allowed to drink at 18 so I could have a little fun on board

Thanks in advance!
pandanasbearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandanasbearz View Post
Hi everyone!

"So basically I'm booked on my 1st DCL cruise on August the 24th and since I am 18 and have read the FAQ on the disney cruise web stating:

The drinking age aboard ship is 21. Valid photo I.D. is required. Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to refuse sale and/or service to anyone.

In recognition of the expectations of our multi-national guests, for roundtrip cruises departing from European countries, where the legal drinking age is lower than 21, a parent or guardian who is sailing with his or her son(s) and/or daughter(s) and/or ward(s) who is between the ages of 18 and 20, may sign a beverage waiver allowing the 18 to 20 year old to consume alcoholic beverages while onboard. Parents or guardians may complete the beverage waiver in the Guest Ticket Booklet or inquire about the waivers upon check-in. Please note: The 18 to 20 year old must comply with all laws and Disney Cruise Line policies related to the consumption and distribution of alcohol in Europe, including among other things, agreeing to not provide alcoholic beverages to any other person, regardless of age. This policy is subject to change without notice."

Does anyone have any experience on this? I'm just want to make sure since I study in England, I'm allowed to drink at 18 so I could have a little fun on board

Thanks in advance!
Are your parents/guardian sailing with you and willing to sign the form? That is the question. And, since it says the policy can change at any time I would call DCL and ask if the policy is still in effect. They don't always update the website quickly if policy happens to change.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

2 key points - first, assuming you are on the Magic Mediterranean cruise on Aug. 24th. If you're cruising the Caribbean, it doesn't matter where you study. Second, as PP pointed out, your parents would need to be cruising with you to sign the waiver. An 18-yr-old can cruise without parents, but if you want the waiver you need your parents to be there as well.

There are plenty of ways to "have a little fun onboard" without drinking alcohol.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
pandanasbearz
Earning My Ears

Yes my parents are cruising with me. Since I cant go into vibe since the policy changed I'm still at a loss....

I know there's club 18-21 but still no dedicated space
pandanasbearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

Quote:
Yes my parents are cruising with me. Since I cant go into vibe since the policy changed I'm still at a loss....

I know there's club 18-21 but still no dedicated space
Your dedicated space is the Quiet Cove pool!!!

Signing the authority makes it real easy ... my nephew was 18 on his last Med cruise with DCL and his mum just signed it. He's a responsible drinker and only actually had a few pints throughout the whole week.

Don't forget you can take your own onboard, so pop to Tesco before you pack .. or, grab something at Barca port (there's a little shop inside selling spirits and beer).
All alcohol must be in your hand luggage though, so if you pack it in your hold luggage for the flight, you'd then need to transfer it to your hand luggage before boarding.
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Orkney Isles Jun 2015
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bats View Post
Your dedicated space is the Quiet Cove pool!!!

Don't forget you can take your own onboard, so pop to Tesco before you pack .. or, grab something at Barca port (there's a little shop inside selling spirits and beer).
Bats, you are always so helpful. Didn't know about the Barca port convenience store.

Is there a good wine shop somewhere in the center of town? Or do supermarkets in Barcelona carry a wide selection?

I asked on my Meet thread but got no responses.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi everyone!

Thanks in advance!
I didn't know this! Thanks for posting
My DS is 19 and we will be sure to sign the waiver for him
The sailaway drink is delicious and usually not very strong, so after you get your waiver signed have one of those.

I don't recommend binge drinking as not only does it make you look like an idiot it causes doubt as to whether the waiver was a good idea in the first place (and you'll have a hard time getting the trust back let alone your drinking waiver from DCL). Don't be that guy !!!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

oh and just FYI, I know there was a Wii game station in one of the adult lounges the last time we sailed the Magic as my DH played wii bowling with some people we met there.
Don't know if it is still there but that looks like something the 18-20 year old age group might like to pass the time away in between ports.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
pjacobi
DIS Veteran

Drinking age in Europe

Quote:
In recognition of the expectations of our multi-national guests, for roundtrip cruises departing from European countries, where the legal drinking age is lower than 21, a parent or guardian who is sailing with his or her son(s) and/or daughter(s) and/or ward(s) who is between the ages of 18 and 20, may sign a beverage waiver allowing the 18 to 20 year old to consume alcoholic beverages while onboard.
Does anyone have any experience on this? I'm just want to
What about European countries with a drinking age as low as 16 to purchase alcohol? Some countries are as low as 14 for consumption of alcohol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_drinking_age#Europe

-Paul
pjacobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #10
itdoesntsmell
Earning My Ears

DCL have set they're limit at 18+ to accomodate what they think is appropriate for that market and what they can accommodate.
Last thing you want is <18 yr olds drinking and then going to the Vibe!

US Law determines that a 18 yr old is considered an adult under law, and therefore I think the cut off for drinking alcohol at 18 is appropriate one these cruises.
Eitherway, they are never going to please everyone.
itdoesntsmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:05 AM   #11
jayteadunn
Earning My Ears

Good point. I wasn't aware of the form to sign. The onboard TV explains that 21 is it on the ship
jayteadunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #12
pjacobi
DIS Veteran

American vs. European customs

If Disney needs to remind Europeans about drinking age and American customs, such as tipping, does Disney also remind Europeans about American customs for swimsuit attire?

-Paul
pjacobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: