Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
sunnydays28
Mouseketeer

I am struggling a little bit with our upcoming vacation, glad it is not until May so I have time to figure this out. I am especially stumped by breakfast choices.

We are very healthy eaters: no juice, low carb, very little milk, almost no processed foods, no added sugars, lean meats and protein. The breakfast choices in the restaurants are all carb and sugar heavy and/ or will take a lot of time, the options to keep in the room are limited by not having a microwave or stove top. Typical breakfast at our house is zapped egg whites, Greek yogurt with fresh fruit, grilled chicken strips, hummus with veggies, veggie burger. We will have lots of healthier snacks with us throughout the day and those will be easier and I know we will have a fridge in our room and a cooler in the car for fruit and yogurts, but what else can we do? We will be in 4 hotels over the 13 days we are traveling.

Or do you just give in and eat whatever, getting back on track when you get back home? And do you feel like crap if you eat differently while on vacation?

Last edited by sunnydays28; 01-28-2013 at 08:11 AM.
sunnydays28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

What do you generally eat for breakfast at home?
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

I did what I could to be realistic about it. Some of the places we chose to eat were going to make it difficult to eat healthy (Biergarten, anyone?) so I went through each of the restaurants we chose and decided which restaurants were going to be splurges and which ones were going to be healthy. Biergarten, Akershus, and Le Cellier were all splurges. At places like 'Ohana, I knew I needed to watch it. I figured I would mostly eat fruit, but then they brought out the healthy platter of egg whites, chicken sausage, turkey bacon, and vegetables. That made that much easier. All of my counter service meals were required to be healthy so I often got veggie burgers or something similar with apples instead of fries.

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Honestly, Disney is no different than any other vacation destination. You'll be able to find things you can eat, but you'll have to look for them ..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
sunnydays28
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
Honestly, Disney is no different than any other vacation destination. You'll be able to find things you can eat, but you'll have to look for them ..
I guess why Disney is different is that we usually vacation at condos, timeshares, relatives homes and are not on much of a timetable. Disney is different, and while we are not park commandos, we are going to keep our daughter on our usual schedule of being up early and getting to the parks at RD, which does not leave time for cooking breakfasts or ordering healthier options in the restaurants. But I am not even finding that many healthy options: the yogurt is processed and high in sugar, the cereals are flour, rice and sugar, the fast are doughnuts and Pop-Tarts.

Do you know if we would be allowed to bring our own microwave into an AoA room? We are driving and have a small one in storage here at home.
sunnydays28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydays28 View Post

Do you know if we would be allowed to bring our own microwave into an AoA room? We are driving and have a small one in storage here at home.
That shouldn't be an issue.

Have you considered bringing a crock pot and doing crock pot meals? I feel like that might be your best bet to meet your family's dietary considerations.

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

We drive to the Orlando Whole Foods which is a 10 minute drive from wdw and stock up for the week. We keep most everything in the fridge in the room. We get water, bananas, apples, pears, other fruit, gf breads and snacks, nitrate free cold cuts, peanut butter. I see you eat dairy, so greek yogurt and any other dairy products you like. I'm surprised that you use the microwave so much at home, it is not a particularly healthy cooking method. I don't know anything about putting a microwave in your hotel room. I think for a future trip renting dvc points would be a great option because you could cook egg whites and grilled chicken in the room. We also choose to eat at a lot of signature restaurants. The chefs are happy to make me plain grilled chicken, fish, filet mignon and veggies. I am gluten and dairy free and the chefs always do a great job. Have a magical trip!

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
Moira222
Can't get enough of the Magic & Pixie Dust!

I think I read that AoA rooms have a microwave in them. Could save you!

We've brought/ had grocery delivery of yogurts, fruits, veggies, etc for in-room eating of breakfast and lunch park snacks.

This site (WDWINFO.COM) has menus of pretty much every restaurant. My DH & I made our own list of each QS restaurant and rated it according to the number of good choices we could make there. (for example Pizzafari = 0; Sunshine Seasons = 7) Our ratings would be different than yours, as we do eat bread and a few things that don't, however having that list in our pocket planner made it easy for us to pick QS places in each park and resort. You could do the same thing by reviewing dinner menus before making your ADR's. Review the menus of the park/area you'll be in & then decide based on menu choices now, when you are not as rushed, so that you are confident when you get to a TS or QS place that you'll know they'll have options for you.

While we were making our choices based on weight watcher's points, I've seen everywhere on the boards that Disney TS restaurants can be accomodating when you have an actual allergy, just let them know ahead of time if possible.

Don't stress! have a great trip & maybe we'll see you in May
Moira222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
Canooknic
Mouseketeer

We are usually healthy eaters too, so we will be bringing granola bars and fruit to the parks with us.
We know that our diet won't be as good as it usually is, but it will be fun to have treats. My boys don't eat processed foods so I expect to be ordering meals from the adult menus for them to share - there is usually grilled chicken/fish or salad so we'll do our best but will also make the most of relaxing the rules.

It does make a difference to how we feel by the end of the trip, so getting home and getting back into our regular diet is always extra nice!!

POR Feb 6-14 2013
POR Feb 2-11 2014
Canooknic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #10
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

I've found breakfast in the villa/room to be the easiest for us. We don't want to spend 1 hour to 1 1/2 in a rest. every morning. We don't like buffets, not big eaters in the morning and certainly not eggs, bacon, sausage etc. So we keep it simple, organic milk, cereal, yogurt, fruit, granola. And if you want to eat out, some of these items (perhaps not organic or as healthy) are available at Main St. Bakery and a few of the QS rest. at the various parks. 13 days is a long time, good luck!

You could bring a little electric pannini/sandwich press to do the veggie burgers and cook egg whites, etc. Mine happens to have both the griddle and the pannini part, it's interchangeable!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #11
jrtoastyman
Purveyor of Fine Latex Products

It's tough to be bulletproof from a diet standpoint at WDW, but there are plenty of healthier options available, it's just a matter of planning ahead and making good decisions when you have the opportunity.

Remember you can generally order a la carte at the QS places, which helps both in the volume of food and avoiding the temptation of having a pile of carb-laden fries on your plate.

Also, services like GardenGrocer will deliver food to your room. We used it to ensure that we had plenty of fresh fruit and other healthy breakfast options on hand that we could just grab and go.

All of the parks have places that carry fresh fruit, like the market in front of Kilamanjaro Safari.

Finally, consider splitting dishes at meals. Portions at Disney are generally enormous, and a salad and entree split between two adults is often plenty to fill you up.

Owner since June 2011

Upcoming: BLT (Jan 2015) - DLR (July 2014)
DLR (May 2014) - BLT (Dec 2013) - Dolphin (May 2013) - BLT (Jan 2013) - BLT (Jan 2012) - Polynesian (June 2011 + UO/IOA) - Swan (Jan 2007) - Port Orleans French Quarter (Dec 1993) - Off-site (1986)
jrtoastyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
almburr
DIS Veteran

we tend to splurge a bit when we are there. We use the DxDP. My kids enjoy the occasional French fries and processed nuggets. But most of the time they are the best eaters, not a picky one (well one wont eat mushrooms if he can see them), grilled steak and chicken, they eat fruit all the time, and how they love salads. Seafood is a big thing for them.

We like to try different things while there. So we don't eat 100% clean. But really try to balance it out. Plus all the walking helps.
almburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

I think there's a lot of middle ground between eating a very restricted diet and "just giving in and eating whatever." That middle ground is usually where I spend my vacation.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #14
smiths02
DIS Veteran

You will have a car and a fridge, so you can just eat what you normally eat for breakfast. You can use the microwave at the resort CS location.

ETA: You could also consider a side of scrambled eggs at CS (I know it is not egg whites), packaged fruit and veggies at CS locations (just toss the "unhealthy" dips), "healthier" granola bars/ Lara bars, etc. that you can get at Whole Foods
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #15
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

If you do a sit down restaurant for breakfast, an egg white omelette should not be a problem. At counter service you can just order scrambled eggs ad pick up yogurt to go with it. All the parks have stands with fresh fruit with a little work, you can eat healthy. We even but salmon at some of te counter service restaurants. We are not hamburger and French fry people.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: