Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
kristieboyd
Mouseketeer

Please share your best stateroom space saving tips!

We're going to be sleeping 5 in a 4 person verandah stateroom (2 adults, teenager & 2 littles) so I need some space-saving/organization tips for the room!

I plan on bringing an over the door show hanger (possibly 2 - 1 for toiletries & 1 for the kids' shoes, socks, underware, etc), magnetic hooks for KTTW, a pop up laundry hamper, travel sized everything we can manage, and possibly extra hangers to hang as much clothes as possible.

What other suggestions can you more experienced DCLers give me? I have 13 more days to get ready!!
kristieboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
Mom323
Founding member of FOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristieboyd View Post
We're going to be sleeping 5 in a 4 person verandah stateroom (2 adults, teenager & 2 littles) so I need some space-saving/organization tips for the room!

I plan on bringing an over the door show hanger (possibly 2 - 1 for toiletries & 1 for the kids' shoes, socks, underware, etc), magnetic hooks for KTTW, a pop up laundry hamper, travel sized everything we can manage, and possibly extra hangers to hang as much clothes as possible.

What other suggestions can you more experienced DCLers give me? I have 13 more days to get ready!!
You don't need to pack hangers, your room steward will give you as many as you need.
Mom323 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

It's dumb but:
With makeup find 2 in 1 products.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
cinmouse
Mouseketeer

We always travel with the LL Bean travel bags that hang in he bathroom. They have many sizes & the inside comes out to hang.your shampoo right.in.the shower.
Besides that we also package our clothes by day in 2 gallon zip lock bags..it reduces.over packing.plus everyone knows by day what bag is theirs getting ready.
cinmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
kristieboyd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom323 View Post
You don't need to pack hangers, your room steward will give you as many as you need.
Great to know, thanks! Will reduce some packing space in our bags!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeans1010 View Post
It's dumb but:
With makeup find 2 in 1 products.
Not dumb at all....it's a great suggestion! I already told DD17 that she has to par down her makeup collection to a SMALL travel sized bag for the trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinmouse View Post
We always travel with the LL Bean travel bags that hang in he bathroom. They have many sizes & the inside comes out to hang.your shampoo right.in.the shower.
Besides that we also package our clothes by day in 2 gallon zip lock bags..it reduces.over packing.plus everyone knows by day what bag is theirs getting ready.
Great tips! I love the idea of packing outfits in zip locks for my kiddos!! How do you handle dinner clothes? For my boys I plan on packing 2 pairs of slacks & 5 polos for the 5 nights worth on dinners. Would you just not put this in the bags?
Old 01-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
neg58
DIS Veteran

Bring less stuff.

You really don't need so much. You can wear the same clothes to dinner several nights. You don't need shoes to match every outfit. Share one tube of toothpaste. Shampoo and lotion is provided (and great).

Store things in your suitcases under the bed until you need them. For the little kids, you might want to prepare outfits for the day (socks, undies, shorts, shirts) in zip locks, and leave them in the suitcase until that day arrives and put the used outfits back into the bags.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
kristieboyd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
Bring less stuff.

You really don't need so much. You can wear the same clothes to dinner several nights.

Nancy
Thanks! That is my plan. We're on a 5 night, so I plan on bringing everyone 1-2 pairs of pants & 4 different shirts for dinners, plus an outfit for semi-formal night. I figure my boys (and DH!) will be fine wearing the same pair of khakis with different polos each night. And I doubt anyone will make a fuss about little boys wearing flip flops or crocs to dinner, so I'm not packing dress shoes. I'd probably let them wear the same shirt for 2 nights, but they are notorious for getting things on their shirts & I don't want to do laundry during my vacation!
Old 01-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
Bring less stuff.

You really don't need so much. You can wear the same clothes to dinner several nights. You don't need shoes to match every outfit. Share one tube of toothpaste. Shampoo and lotion is provided (and great).

Store things in your suitcases under the bed until you need them. For the little kids, you might want to prepare outfits for the day (socks, undies, shorts, shirts) in zip locks, and leave them in the suitcase until that day arrives and put the used outfits back into the bags.

Nancy
Bring less stuff is really the best advice. We drove to the port for our first cruise and had two adjoining staterooms and did not limit ourselves. Now we have plans for our second cruise and are booked two adult, one teenager and two kids in one family stateroom. I know I brought way too much clothing the first time. I also know that my first impression of the stateroom was "Oh my goodness it is small, thank goodness we have a second room." But I also know how little time we spent in the cabins. So be prepare that the space is limited but they have designed the rooms well. There is plenty of storage under the bed to put your suitcases.

With our upcoming cruise we will be gone for ten days. (7 night cruise and then a little bit of park time) I plan to bring five outfits (not including dinner attire and bathing suits) for each member of our family. The ship has laundry services and I will plan on doing laundry on our vacation. For me, this is actually more pleasant than getting back from our trip with a pile of dirty clothes. I love to open my suitcases after a trip and to be able to put the clothes away. This is actually one of the reasons I love being a DVC member too....washers and dryers in the larger villas.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristieboyd View Post
Not dumb at all....it's a great suggestion! I already told DD17 that she has to par down her makeup collection to a SMALL travel sized bag for the trip!
I checked at Sephora and QVC, they have kits that are super small. Benefit has a kit (Primping with the Stars) with all the pieces. Tarte has a kit that has BB cream, a primer, and mascara for $12, and Benefit has another kit (Goodtime Girl) with mini pieces for $15. Makeup kits are awesome.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
PirateTigger
Earning My Ears

We found packing cubes really helpful, and rolling duffel bags for suitcases. They lay flat when empty and can be stored under the beds.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #11
cleophus12
DIS Veteran

sundress/cover-up

I agree with the suggestion to take a cover up that can double as a sundress. I always do this. My main reason is that when we fly, I pack my bathing suit and "cover up" in my carry on in case my luggage doesn't make it. And if my luggage doesn't make it to my room before dinner, I have a sun dress that can be worn to the dining room. I've never HAD to use it before, but if I ever do, I'll be ready. My sundress/cover up is a very light weight dress from Gap (On sale). On another note, I have been known to pack too much Disney stuff. I tend to feel that if I'm ever going to wear it, this is the time. However, I rarely wear it all and wind up with too much stuff. Pace yourself. The Less stuff advice is the best you'll get.
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
chrisrunty
DIS Veteran

Basically what everyone else has said:
1. pack less
2. packing cubes
3. put suitcases under bed
4. really think about doing 1 load of laundry to pack less I've found this is the best tip.
5. don't bring too many shoes they just take up room
6. bring accessories to mix up your look without additional clothes

Last edited by chrisrunty; 01-27-2013 at 03:05 PM.
chrisrunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #13
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrunty View Post
Basically what everyone else has said:
1. pack less
2. packing cubes
3. put life vests and suitcases under bed
4. really think about doing 1 load of laundry to pack less I've found this is the best tip.
5. don't bring too many shoes they just take up room
6. bring accessories to mix up your look without additional clothes
I don't think you are supposed to take the life vests out of the closet and put under the bed.
You can also take the collapsible hanging shelves, which fold up pretty flat, and they will give you more shelf space inside the closet.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #14
chrisrunty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susiesark View Post
I don't think you are supposed to take the life vests out of the closet and put under the bed.
You can also take the collapsible hanging shelves, which fold up pretty flat, and they will give you more shelf space inside the closet.
took it off....don't want to give questionable info.
chrisrunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

Reiterating again to pack less. Make your list. Reduce it. Then reduce it again. I promise you won't use everything. And I vote for doing/sending laundry one time

Pack clothes pins to hang wet suits. You don't need three. Ever.

Cover ups and swimsuits are fine at breakfast.

Have fun!

twopeasonepod is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: