Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
andersonsc
Mouseketeer

PSAT scores

My son (10th) grade got his PSAT score today. He recieved a 195. The counselor said the kid from his school this year that recived the national merit scholorship recieved around 225. He said my son has a great shot at doing better next year as a junior and getting the scholorship.

I think 30 points seems like a lot to improve in one year. The counselor said the kid this year that got the scholorship scored 40 points higher then last year.

Does anyone have experiance with their student doing that much better the 2nd time around. Don't want to get hopes up about being a national merit finalist if it is too far fetched to happen.
andersonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #2
ILUVALASKA
Mouseketeer

Your son's score will naturally go up with another full year of math and English under his belt. He should study lots of vocabulary words.

me:DHDS

CMU Tartan Family
ILUVALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
IDoDis
Knows the password to get into the Water Buffalo Lodge

My DD took the PSAT last year as a sophomore and scored a 202. I might be off by a point or two. She took it again this fall as a junior and scored a 212. I thought It was the same test, but DD thought it was different and harder. She did well both times on the English and Reading, scoring in the 98th and 96th percentiles, but the math was not as high both times, so there was no way she was going to get near 240.

She took her first ACT test in December without any studying and got a 32 on the English section, but the math was a 27, so she needs to bring that score up. It is still a great score, but not enough to be competitive for a college program that she wants to apply for. She is taking the test again next month, and then up to two more times after that. I think it comes down to test practice skills. Looking at her math scores, she kind of gave up near the end and also started running out of time.

When DH took the SAT many moons ago, he scored in the 99th percentile and got a college scholarship. Back then it seemed like we all just took those tests once, unlike today where kids can now super score their multiple tests.
Disney World ~ Pop Century, May '06
Disney World ~Windsor Hills, May '08
Disney World ~Wilderness Lodge, June '09
Disneyland ~ Offsite, Oct '10
Disney World ~ Boardwalk Inn, June '12
IDoDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:48 AM   #4
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Super scoring was new to me. I have a college freshman. Just wanted to add that not all schools super score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoDis View Post
My DD took the PSAT last year as a sophomore and scored a 202. I might be off by a point or two. She took it again this fall as a junior and scored a 212. I thought It was the same test, but DD thought it was different and harder. She did well both times on the English and Reading, scoring in the 98th and 96th percentiles, but the math was not as high both times, so there was no way she was going to get near 240.

She took her first ACT test in December without any studying and got a 32 on the English section, but the math was a 27, so she needs to bring that score up. It is still a great score, but not enough to be competitive for a college program that she wants to apply for. She is taking the test again next month, and then up to two more times after that. I think it comes down to test practice skills. Looking at her math scores, she kind of gave up near the end and also started running out of time.

When DH took the SAT many moons ago, he scored in the 99th percentile and got a college scholarship. Back then it seemed like we all just took those tests once, unlike today where kids can now super score their multiple tests.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:15 AM   #5
indimom
Are We There Yet?

I apologize for hyjacking the thread, OP, but I have a PSAT question also:

DD is a freshman and just took the PSAT for the first time. I was shocked when a college letter came in the mail making vague comments about her excellent score (which was not as good as either of the other scores mentioned in this thread, for the record).
Do they really give these scores out? I just assumed it stayed between the school and the parents, it's only the PSAT. Are colleges really interested in the PSAT?? She's just a freshman and it's only a practice for the final tests... Honestly, I sort of wondered if it was a universal mailing and the wording was just a ploy to interest you.

I agree with you OP, I find it hard to believe the scores could go up so much in one year. By that standard, my kid would max out the test before her junior year, and I just don't see that happening. She works hard and tries her best, but she's not a genius. (Hmmm, did I just insult my kid? lol)

Last edited by indimom; 01-26-2013 at 04:32 AM.
indimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:26 AM   #6
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

OP, my son did about the same as your son did. He did go up a few points the next year but nothing significant. My neighbor's daughter, who is VERY bright also went up some; however, her percentiles went down in math even though her score was higher. They compare you against a different grade each year.

To the person who asked about the colleges sending mail. Yes, somehow when you start taking the standardized tests you start getting mail. Hmmmm...interesting isn't it. Not to be a killjoy, but this is PURE marketing and they are just starting their job of trying to get you interesting in applying. My oldest child did horrible on PSATs and she was still heavily marketed. It did make her feel better!

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #7
indimom
Are We There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
OP, my son did about the same as your son did. He did go up a few points the next year but nothing significant. My neighbor's daughter, who is VERY bright also went up some; however, her percentiles went down in math even though her score was higher. They compare you against a different grade each year.

To the person who asked about the colleges sending mail. Yes, somehow when you start taking the standardized tests you start getting mail. Hmmmm...interesting isn't it. Not to be a killjoy, but this is PURE marketing and they are just starting their job of trying to get you interesting in applying. My oldest child did horrible on PSATs and she was still heavily marketed. It did make her feel better!
You'e not being a killjoy at all. That's sort of what I was thinking. Her scores were good, but not GREAT. That said, it did get my daughter a little excited. I think until that moment college felt a long way off. The letter made it much more "real" to her.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #8
N&B'smom
Cancer Survivor
I expect you to scrape an 'Acceptable' in your O.W.L., or suffer my...displeasure."

Just reading along as I literally just dropped DS13 off to take the SATs! Nervous for him!!!

If you have to ask, you will never know. If you know, you need only ask. ~ Rowena Ravenclaw

Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy. ~ Albus Dumbledore
N&B'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #9
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by N&B'smom View Post
Just reading along as I literally just dropped DS13 off to take the SATs! Nervous for him!!!
My son did the SATs as a 13 year old also. He really enjoyed doing it. His score was okay. He did MUCH better as a junior. I think they tell you that when you take it as a 7th/8th grader, you can add 400 points to that score and you will get an idea of how they will do as a junior. My son did WAY better than that, thank goodness. But I've read some things that some kids have done in 7th/8th grade and they are awesome scores.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #10
Acklander
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by N&B'smom View Post
LOL. I dropped DS13 off this AM for the SATs as well. Not nervous since it doesn't count for colleges or anything beyond the Duke TIPS program. I think they use it to see how much the kids improve from year to year if they maxed out on the state standardized test. So, the pressure is on the teachers not the students this early in the game.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #11
clutter
Princess's Mom
The TF is sorry that you were overlooked, we've been really busy lately! :)

That explains the spurt of college mailings!!!

I'm here to tell you that you get them regardless of the score. I don't know what dd15's (sophomore) score was, but it wasn't very good. I don't remember there being a total, but each part was over 50th percentile, but not great. Still getting 6-8 pieces of mail a day. We thought it was something else that triggered it.
clutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #12
Debbie7452
Aspires to be a Tag Fairy
Official Race Team Manager

It is possible to increase your score that much, but not without a lot of prep. Sign up for the SAT question of the day (it's free) on College Board, Dictionary.com has a word of the day to help vocab. Take some practice tests. I got my daughter a DS quiz game for SAT prep. My DD got a 195 as a freshman, then 210 as a sophomore then 221 for National Merit as a Junior.

Sign up and take the October SAT in Junior year. This is the most important tip! It is a few days before the PSAT. It is the best possible practice. Bonus is that you might be done with testing at that point (we were).
Debbie7452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #13
Tinijocaro
DIS Veteran

DS , on the SAT's, went up from 1300 to a 1510 from junior to senior year. Don't recall his PSAT score. It was enough to make it through the first round of the National Merit program as a Commended Student.

ACT went from a 32 to a 34. He is one of 40 kids who interviewed yesterday at u of Buffalo for their Presidential Scholarship-tuition, room and board. They will give 25 Presidential Scholarships so we are crossing our fingers.
Tinijocaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: