Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
bigdisz
Tracking Real Estate in Anadupur
 
bigdisz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 228

That.Hat.

I heard a rumor that the 100 years of magic emblem of MGM is comin down! has anyone else heard that rumor? is it true?
__________________
1999-1st Visit! Fort Wilderness 2001-Offsite 2002-Old Key West (Universal) DVC MEMBERS 2003- Beach Club Villas 2005-Old KeyWest 2006-Old Key West 2008-Port Orleans FQ, Old Key West2009-Wilderness Lodge, Old Key West
2011- Bay Lake Towers, Old Key West2012 January- Coronado Springs 2012 Summer-Animal Kingdom Lodge, Old Key West
Summer 2013 Port Orleans FQ Summer 2014- Saratoga Springs, Bay Lake Towers
bigdisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
ToddS
Mouseketeer
 
ToddS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Caldwell, NJ USA
Posts: 114

I wish it were. I've said it here before, but I'm pretty sure that the main reason the hat is there is because of PhotoPass. If I understand correctly, DIsney does not have the rights to sell anything with the image of the Chinese Theater on it. So if the hat were not there, they could not have their photographers taking PhotoPass pictures in that direction down Hollywood Boulevard, because they cannot legally sell pictures that show the theater. (Same is true for the Brown Derby, incidentally.) Hence the hat -- to block the (much more attractive, IMO) view of the theater.

If the image rights for the theater are ever rectified, I would think the hat would be gone pretty quick. I would love to see it moved to the semi-circular area on the water outside of the turnstiles. I don't think it's a bad icon for the park, I just don't like its location.
__________________
"You can't put a price tag on creativity."
"If we lose our customers, it'll cost us twice as much to get them back."
-- Walt Disney
ToddS is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
golf4miami
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 395

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddS View Post
If the image rights for the theater are ever rectified, I would think the hat would be gone pretty quick. I would love to see it moved to the semi-circular area on the water outside of the turnstiles. I don't think it's a bad icon for the park, I just don't like its location.
But then where would the Christmas tree go!?
__________________
golf4miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
YoHo
If you have any poo to fling, now is the time.
 
YoHo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Roseville, Ca.
Posts: 3,944

When did Disney start having photographers in the parks?

I'm pretty sure you used to be able to buy Disney/MGM postcards with the theater on them. And slides. I mean, the place existed for 10-11? years before that stupid thing was put in. Surely Disney put it in pictures before that time.
__________________
YoHo, YoHo a Pirates life for me.

Critical thinking about Disney at
www.july171955.com

"That's why I love Walt Disney. It costs $100,000 to build a spire you didn't need. The secret of Disney is doing things you don't need and doing them well and then you realize you needed them all along." - Ray Bradbury
YoHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR
 
tjkraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,120

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoHo View Post
When did Disney start having photographers in the parks?

I'm pretty sure you used to be able to buy Disney/MGM postcards with the theater on them. And slides. I mean, the place existed for 10-11? years before that stupid thing was put in. Surely Disney put it in pictures before that time.
It's possible that Disney was able to reduce or eliminate any royalties paid by blocking the theater as a photo backdrop. Knowing how Disney operates ($$$), IMO that makes a lot more sense than theories about the hat being a better park icon.
__________________
-- Tim

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
hopemax
Note to Self: Please remember to bring your brain with you this time
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 5,568

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4miami View Post
But then where would the Christmas tree go!?
Before the Big Hat, the Christmas Tree used to go where the hat is now.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-VkqXgjEVVB...udios-2000.png
__________________
Hope
hopemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
DanBoris
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddS View Post
I wish it were. I've said it here before, but I'm pretty sure that the main reason the hat is there is because of PhotoPass. If I understand correctly, DIsney does not have the rights to sell anything with the image of the Chinese Theater on it. So if the hat were not there, they could not have their photographers taking PhotoPass pictures in that direction down Hollywood Boulevard, because they cannot legally sell pictures that show the theater. (Same is true for the Brown Derby, incidentally.) Hence the hat -- to block the (much more attractive, IMO) view of the theater.

If the image rights for the theater are ever rectified, I would think the hat would be gone pretty quick. I would love to see it moved to the semi-circular area on the water outside of the turnstiles. I don't think it's a bad icon for the park, I just don't like its location.
The "rights issues" over the Chinese Theater are an urban legend that has been repeated so many times that it's almost accepted as fact.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR
 
tjkraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,120

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBoris View Post
The "rights issues" over the Chinese Theater are an urban legend that has been repeated so many times that it's almost accepted as fact.
Is there a source which refutes this supposed urban legend?
__________________
-- Tim

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
YoHo
If you have any poo to fling, now is the time.
 
YoHo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Roseville, Ca.
Posts: 3,944

http://www.yesterland.com/removehat.html


Urban Legend.
__________________
YoHo, YoHo a Pirates life for me.

Critical thinking about Disney at
www.july171955.com

"That's why I love Walt Disney. It costs $100,000 to build a spire you didn't need. The secret of Disney is doing things you don't need and doing them well and then you realize you needed them all along." - Ray Bradbury
YoHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #10
DanBoris
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
Is there a source which refutes this supposed urban legend?
http://www.yesterland.com/removehat.html
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #11
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR
 
tjkraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,120

I've said this before and I'll say it again: With all due respect to Werner and Yesterland, he doesn't provide any proof that it is an urban legend. Nowhere in that story does it confirm or deny the existence of an agreement to replicate the Chinese Theater.

The piece contains a lot of deductive reasoning which may or may not be accurate. Just because the argument sounds good doesn't make it true.

Personally I think the photography angle makes perfect sense...particularly if the agreement didn't properly address digital photography and PhotoPass. There are countless examples of rights disputes arising when emerging technologies are applied to legacy contracts.

Assuming for the moment that some contract does (did) exist, it's one thing for Disney to agree to pay a few pennies per hardcopy photo purchased when the contract was written in the late '80s. But if its terms were successfully applied to millions of digital PhotoPass images viewed online, purchased on CD and displayed on a wide range of personalized merchandise, suddenly the bill gets much larger.
__________________
-- Tim

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
Mouse14
Wish I was at the Lodge
 
Mouse14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Brandon,Fl
Posts: 332

I've been keeping up with this thread but I have one question mildly off topic that I don't understand ... Why does everyone dislike the hat? I like it! It's an iconic peice...
__________________
Fort Wilderness countless times (1990-now)
Allstar resorts- couple times

Dates i can remember....
Annual pass holder in Feb 2010

Wilderness lodge- (Feb 4,5,6 2010)(Feb 4,5,6 2011)
Caribbean Beach - (Mar 2010)
Saratoga Springs- (July 2010)
Coronado- (Aug2010)
Offsite for Not so scary Halloween party (Oct 2010)
Allstar Movies for Very Merry Christmas party (Dec2010)

POP for Vey Merry (Dec 2011)
Aulani for honeymoon (Feb 4-11 2012)
Mouse14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #13
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer
 
disneyworld1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: 988 miles away from WDW (TOO FAR!)
Posts: 393

I dislike the hat as an icon of HS. I would rather see the Chinese Theater. that makes it more "Hollywood".

I think in certain situations its a good icon for something else, animation studio or something.

But I would rather see the Earful Tower as the icon as show on the other post. That is much nicer!
__________________
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, SEPT 2013!! *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS DEC 2013
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #14
Lewisc

DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 18,339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse14 View Post
I've been keeping up with this thread but I have one question mildly off topic that I don't understand ... Why does everyone dislike the hat? I like it! It's an iconic peice...
It was originally Disney-MGM studios. The park was about movies in general, not just Disney.

The theater represented that vision of the park. The issue isn't just the hat but the fact that the hat blocked much of the view of something we liked. I'd have less of an issue if the HAT was always there and didn't block something attractive. I might even have less of an issue if the HAT part of some kind of attraction. To ruin the view for a pin stand. A negative impact without a real positive impact.

Almost all of the back lot tour is gone but we have the Stunt Show, Toy Story Mania....
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #15
mbrou24
Theme Park Veteran
 
mbrou24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc

It was originally Disney-MGM studios. The park was about movies in general, not just Disney.

The theater represented that vision of the park. The issue isn't just the hat but the fact that the hat blocked much of the view of something we liked. I'd have less of an issue if the HAT was always there and didn't block something attractive. I might even have less of an issue if the HAT part of some kind of attraction. To ruin the view for a pin stand. A negative impact without a real positive impact.

Almost all of the back lot tour is gone but we have the Stunt Show, Toy Story Mania....
One could make the case that the hat is representative of fantasmic. It'd be a weak point but a point none the less
mbrou24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.