DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
TotallyADiz
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 13

Resale vs Direct (Again!)

Been lurking for a while and just recently purchased so I figured I would try to contribute back to the community. Thanks to everyone on this board for all the helpful information you offer.

So here goes. The question of resale vs direct is covered in detail on this board with many good points (pun intended) made. It is a decision that each of us makes for ourselves and for different reasons. I must admit it is hard to overlook the large amount of $avings when purchasing resale. Besides the obvious things that Disney has taken away from resale owners I wanted to point out my recent discussions with them and why I decided to purchase direct.

1.) it's very hard to argue NOT purchasing resale if you look purely at the economics. If you have the ca$h outlay and plan to always stay at wdw vacation club resorts....don't mind going through a few extra hoops to get transaction done and don't need the points right this second......resale seems the way to go.
2.) I fit into that category above BUT I think that I might change the way I vacation in future years when the kids are older. Maybe I will cruise more and want to do Adv or some other disney realted vacation. Even though it might not be a "good use of points", 10-20 years from now I will be way in the black on this investment and will want to use the points for something different from or in addition to WDW. 3.) If I do wind up traveling to far off places down the road and/or cruising and I have these points..........why not use them for these types of trips...and if I am going to go on these types of trips (ADV) I will want a travel agent who will make all the arrangements, tours, etc. I have to imagine that Disney is pretty good at arranging those things. So I see these points as being used for different vacations down the road then I will use them for now so I will want access to everything that Disney has to offer both now and down the road (adv, Dcl, etc.)
4.) Given all the above, I fear that if I don't buy direct not only won't I have access to what Disney has already limited but to new restrictions they might apply. I know that the only thing that is guaranteed is Wdw and they can change access anytime they want for everybody, including direct purchases but I find it much less likely that they will eliminate all the extra perks/access (from direct purchases). There might not be any guarantees but I feel safer with Disney.
5.) This is a big one and it plays into the "Fear" factor. When I made my pruchase my "guide" told me that when you buy resale your membership is "red flagged" which we all know is true to some extent because that's how they know whether or not you can make bookings with adv/dcl/concierge, etc. BUT he said it also means that the "internal policy" is to not allow you to get the same benefits or flexibility as direct purchasers. They might be "booked" more frequently if you purchased resale for instance. I'm not saying this is true and I doubt that Disney would ever admit to it (maybe they would?) but the mere fact alone that anyone within Disney would even say something like that (on recorded lines) worries me. Maybe it is true that they do that. Maybe it isn't true but they might start doing it down the road.............and even if they don't they can always implement new restrictions. I know this might just be an intimidation tactic but for me it works because as I stated above, I really do want access to other vacations down the road besides just Wdw. Just my .02.

Thanks again to all on this board and no matter your decision HAVE FUN!
TotallyADiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
WebmasterDoc
Administrator
 
WebmasterDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30,047
DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyADiz View Post
Been lurking for a while and just recently purchased so I figured I would try to contribute back to the community. Thanks to everyone on this board for all the helpful information you offer.

So here goes. The question of resale vs direct is covered in detail on this board with many good points (pun intended) made. It is a decision that each of us makes for ourselves and for different reasons. I must admit it is hard to overlook the large amount of $avings when purchasing resale. Besides the obvious things that Disney has taken away from resale owners I wanted to point out my recent discussions with them and why I decided to purchase direct.

1.) it's very hard to argue NOT purchasing resale if you look purely at the economics. If you have the ca$h outlay and plan to always stay at wdw vacation club resorts....don't mind going through a few extra hoops to get transaction done and don't need the points right this second......resale seems the way to go.
2.) I fit into that category above BUT I think that I might change the way I vacation in future years when the kids are older. Maybe I will cruise more and want to do Adv or some other disney realted vacation. Even though it might not be a "good use of points", 10-20 years from now I will be way in the black on this investment and will want to use the points for something different from or in addition to WDW. 3.) If I do wind up traveling to far off places down the road and/or cruising and I have these points..........why not use them for these types of trips...and if I am going to go on these types of trips (ADV) I will want a travel agent who will make all the arrangements, tours, etc. I have to imagine that Disney is pretty good at arranging those things. So I see these points as being used for different vacations down the road then I will use them for now so I will want access to everything that Disney has to offer both now and down the road (adv, Dcl, etc.)
4.) Given all the above, I fear that if I don't buy direct not only won't I have access to what Disney has already limited but to new restrictions they might apply. I know that the only thing that is guaranteed is Wdw and they can change access anytime they want for everybody, including direct purchases but I find it much less likely that they will eliminate all the extra perks/access (from direct purchases). There might not be any guarantees but I feel safer with Disney.
5.) This is a big one and it plays into the "Fear" factor. When I made my pruchase my "guide" told me that when you buy resale your membership is "red flagged" which we all know is true to some extent because that's how they know whether or not you can make bookings with adv/dcl/concierge, etc. BUT he said it also means that the "internal policy" is to not allow you to get the same benefits or flexibility as direct purchasers. They might be "booked" more frequently if you purchased resale for instance. I'm not saying this is true and I doubt that Disney would ever admit to it (maybe they would?) but the mere fact alone that anyone within Disney would even say something like that (on recorded lines) worries me. Maybe it is true that they do that. Maybe it isn't true but they might start doing it down the road.............and even if they don't they can always implement new restrictions. I know this might just be an intimidation tactic but for me it works because as I stated above, I really do want access to other vacations down the road besides just Wdw. Just my .02.

Thanks again to all on this board and no matter your decision HAVE FUN!
It sounds as though, at least for a few, the scare/intimidation tactics being employed by some DVC Guides may be effective. Sorry to hear that.

We have been members 20 years now and have already been enjoying some of the non-DVC trips mentioned above - but have found it far more economical to rent points and pay cash for the other options. Our points are both direct and resale and all were well before March, 2001 so none of the current restrictions affect us at this time. Yes, Disney is great at creating, planning and (especially) promoting their turnkey programs. They have some nice options now beyond the Theme Parks and using points (as heavily promoted in the DVC sales presentations) is an easy way to enjoy those programs - even though they can be a lot more costly than renting your points and then just paying cash to Disney for the exact same service.

As for the "red-flagging" you mention, certainly MS does know which contracts were purchased directly and will not allow points from resales purchased (after March, 2011) to be used for specific programs - but I suspect that your "Guide" forgot to mention that at times even options like Disney Cruises have been made unavailable to any DVC member using points (direct or resale) while those members who rented their points and paid cash for the same cruises had no restrictions at all (this happened within the past couple of years where they would not allow DVC members to use points for any cruises over a certain timeframe). So, if you are confident that would/could never happen again I suppose your plan is 100% safe. Hopefully your "guide" has promised that to you in writing in your DVC contract and just with a verbal throw-away comment (and a wink).

While DVC can (and has) certainly placed a few limits on resale purchasers, there is still a breaking point where they won't be able to limit resale purchasers any further without also having to affect those who purchased direct. Even the programs (like Disney Cruise Line, Concierge Collection and Adventurer Collection) are not guaranteed and in addition the point charts for those options have no limits regarding how much they may be increased on a whim (unlike annual DVC fees which have the same limits regardless how your points were purchased).

Best of luck with your decision. Welcome Home!
__________________
Doc
WebmasterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
bakenatj
Mouseketeer
 
bakenatj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 488

All valid points, and you are right that every person is different and there is no right or wrong way to doing it. Just suggestion and opinions. I am a member who is going both ways. My first purchase I made direct. At the time I tried resale and got ROFR, and wanted to get going so I could go on vacation so I bought direct. Now that we have had DVC for a few years and have looked at the point charts for the DCL and ABD, to me it just doesn't make sense to use points on those.

Now that I am in need (well want) more points I am going resale. I don't see value in those for mentioned options. I seriously was going to wait and purchase VGF, but the more and more I contemplated it, the more it didn't make sense to spend the extra money when I could get BLT so much cheaper on resale. I'm not worried about future restrictions because this contract will be grand fathered in so no biggy to me. That is something each person must decide on their own.

BTW congrats on your purchase and Welcome Home!
__________________

1985 DL, 1989 DL, 2001 DL, 2003 WDW, 2004 DL, 2005 WDW, 2006 WDW, 2008 CSR, 2009 AKV-K, 2010 BLT, 2011 OKW, 2012 OKW, 2013 Aulani, 2013 DL, 2013 SSR, 2013 VGF.
bakenatj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
DizBub
Totally Addicted
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, IL
Posts: 1,729

Having bought direct, added on direct and bought resale I can see all sides. The most important thing here is that you did what is right FOR YOU.

Congratulations on your purchase and WELCOME HOME!!

BTW, where did you buy??
DizBub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
TotallyADiz
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 13

Thanks everybody for the Welcome Home and for your thoughts. I struggled with this decison. There is still the financial part of me that is questioning my decision but when balancing all my thoughts and fears and future concerns, I think I made the right decision for me......and luckily for me it wasn't completely driven by the financial component. I am fortunate enough to be able to afford it either way....and I'm thinking many of us, even those who are cost conscious, don't buy dvc just to "save money" and don't take trips to wdw because they are inexpensive. We do it because there is something special about the place and there is something special about owning a membership and being part of a club that will "give you an excuse" to keep coming back year after year. So I think we all win!

I also agree with a lot of these other posts I've been reading. Anyone who buys resale is just as much a member as someone who buys direct. The dues are paid just the same and the additional monies Disney earns from you visiting the parks is the same. If you didn't love it you wouldn't have bought into it. Just because you bought from someone whom, for whatever their personal situation, needed out of their obligation, shouldn't be a negative reflection.

Disney has to run a business and as such has to make some strategic decisions from time to time but they should be very careful not to upset the fierce loyalty that has propelled the company for all these years. It's the membership here and people like us that have fueled Disney. We should be encouraged and not discouraged.

[Step down off soap box]

Dizbub, I purchased two contracts: one in BLT and the other in BWV!!!
TotallyADiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
DizBub
Totally Addicted
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, IL
Posts: 1,729

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyADiz View Post
Dizbub, I purchased two contracts: one in BLT and the other in BWV!!!
Howdy Neighbor!!

We own at BLT and BCV!!
DizBub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,945

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyADiz View Post
Been lurking for a while and just recently purchased so I figured I would try to contribute back to the community. Thanks to everyone on this board for all the helpful information you offer.

So here goes. The question of resale vs direct is covered in detail on this board with many good points (pun intended) made. It is a decision that each of us makes for ourselves and for different reasons. I must admit it is hard to overlook the large amount of $avings when purchasing resale. Besides the obvious things that Disney has taken away from resale owners I wanted to point out my recent discussions with them and why I decided to purchase direct.

1.) it's very hard to argue NOT purchasing resale if you look purely at the economics. If you have the ca$h outlay and plan to always stay at wdw vacation club resorts....don't mind going through a few extra hoops to get transaction done and don't need the points right this second......resale seems the way to go.
2.) I fit into that category above BUT I think that I might change the way I vacation in future years when the kids are older. Maybe I will cruise more and want to do Adv or some other disney realted vacation. Even though it might not be a "good use of points", 10-20 years from now I will be way in the black on this investment and will want to use the points for something different from or in addition to WDW. 3.) If I do wind up traveling to far off places down the road and/or cruising and I have these points..........why not use them for these types of trips...and if I am going to go on these types of trips (ADV) I will want a travel agent who will make all the arrangements, tours, etc. I have to imagine that Disney is pretty good at arranging those things. So I see these points as being used for different vacations down the road then I will use them for now so I will want access to everything that Disney has to offer both now and down the road (adv, Dcl, etc.)
4.) Given all the above, I fear that if I don't buy direct not only won't I have access to what Disney has already limited but to new restrictions they might apply. I know that the only thing that is guaranteed is Wdw and they can change access anytime they want for everybody, including direct purchases but I find it much less likely that they will eliminate all the extra perks/access (from direct purchases). There might not be any guarantees but I feel safer with Disney.
5.) This is a big one and it plays into the "Fear" factor. When I made my pruchase my "guide" told me that when you buy resale your membership is "red flagged" which we all know is true to some extent because that's how they know whether or not you can make bookings with adv/dcl/concierge, etc. BUT he said it also means that the "internal policy" is to not allow you to get the same benefits or flexibility as direct purchasers. They might be "booked" more frequently if you purchased resale for instance. I'm not saying this is true and I doubt that Disney would ever admit to it (maybe they would?) but the mere fact alone that anyone within Disney would even say something like that (on recorded lines) worries me. Maybe it is true that they do that. Maybe it isn't true but they might start doing it down the road.............and even if they don't they can always implement new restrictions. I know this might just be an intimidation tactic but for me it works because as I stated above, I really do want access to other vacations down the road besides just Wdw. Just my .02.

Thanks again to all on this board and no matter your decision HAVE FUN!
I am happy that you are pleased with your purchase. Out of respect I would like to share with you the perspective of someone who is reading this post. Quite frankly, you sound like a DVC salesperson. I'm not saying that you are and I'm not accusing you of anything. But what I'm saying is that it seems that you have internalized their sales pitch so deeply that your thoughts on the matter seem to be their thoughts, point for point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyADiz View Post
Thanks everybody for the Welcome Home and for your thoughts. I struggled with this decison. There is still the financial part of me that is questioning my decision but when balancing all my thoughts and fears and future concerns, I think I made the right decision for me......and luckily for me it wasn't completely driven by the financial component. I am fortunate enough to be able to afford it either way....and I'm thinking many of us, even those who are cost conscious, don't buy dvc just to "save money" and don't take trips to wdw because they are inexpensive. We do it because there is something special about the place and there is something special about owning a membership and being part of a club that will "give you an excuse" to keep coming back year after year. So I think we all win!

I also agree with a lot of these other posts I've been reading. Anyone who buys resale is just as much a member as someone who buys direct. The dues are paid just the same and the additional monies Disney earns from you visiting the parks is the same. If you didn't love it you wouldn't have bought into it. Just because you bought from someone whom, for whatever their personal situation, needed out of their obligation, shouldn't be a negative reflection.

Disney has to run a business and as such has to make some strategic decisions from time to time but they should be very careful not to upset the fierce loyalty that has propelled the company for all these years. It's the membership here and people like us that have fueled Disney. We should be encouraged and not discouraged.

[Step down off soap box]

Dizbub, I purchased two contracts: one in BLT and the other in BWV!!!
In my opinion, fear based marketing is one of the most dangerous and underhanded marketing approaches out there. Decisions made based on fear often turn out not to be sound ones. I am glad that you are happy with your purchase but I am sorry that you were intimidated into making it in that manner. As Doc pointed out, not only is there a possibility of Adventures by Disney and Disney Cruises not being available on points, but there is a possibility that they might not even exist in 20 years. But even if they do exist, you make it sound like you will be banned from those options simply because you purchased resale. You could always pay cash if you decided to take one of these trips...20 years from now.

Without going into details, we have a comfortable income and could afford to purchase direct if we wanted to. However, I just can't get past the fact that resale is essentially the same thing for half the cost. I think I'm too uptight, but maybe not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBub View Post
Howdy Neighbor!!

We own at BLT and BCV!!
I appreciate your wanting to welcome a fellow DVC owner and reinforce his positive feelings from his purchase. That being said, this is a "no pixie dust" zone and I feel like we are doing people a disservice by continuing the salespeople's jobs of making (recent) direct buyers feel good about their purchases. As I've said before, I have nothing against direct purchases or people who buy direct. And the truth of the matter is that until about two years ago, the gap between direct and resale prices was narrow enough that it was a difficult decision to make. In one of the other threads a poster referred to a VGC contract that she purchased at $88 a point direct. How many of us wouldn't want that contract now?

That being said, something has happened to the DVC market that has changed the landscape significantly. Direct prices are now double or more the prices of resale. To the OP, I am glad that you are pleased with your purchase and I wish you the best of luck. But in my opinion you simply threw $80 per point out the window for no apparent reason. As long as DVC "guides" (can we please stop calling them that?) continue to cloud the truth, we are not going to see any meaningful changes in the way DVD does business. In my opinion, paying $165 a point for BLT direct is the equivalent of lighting your money on fire. I try to see all points of view, and I am truly sorry that I cannot see the other point of view on this, despite my concerted efforts to do so. Someone, anyone, please tell me what I'm missing. Until that happens, however, I will continue to bang the resale drum and try to inform as many people as possible about the differences between resale and direct (or lack thereof). I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to help. And in my opinion, DVC SALESPEOPLE are about six months away from being completely indistinguishable from the folks over at Wyndham.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:10 AM   #8
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 30,783

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBub View Post
Having bought direct, added on direct and bought resale I can see all sides. The most important thing here is that you did what is right FOR YOU.

Congratulations on your purchase and WELCOME HOME!!

BTW, where did you buy??
I would amend the statement as the OP did what they THOUGHT was the best, whether that is accurate remains to be seen and will take decades to completely answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy7573 View Post
In order to be a re-sale contract, wasn't there an original Direct Purchase from Disney??? Am I wrong? Please correct me if I am?

I sense a lot of negative energy today...
Irrelevant, every resale is a potential lost retail purchase. Every resale is in competition with DVD. From DVD's perspective they'd prefer you never be able to sell and each new buyer bought a new retail contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
I agree with this as long as people understand and are not bothered by the restrictions. I also believe that if you only have resale points in your membership you are not able to take the Member's Cruise..I thought that was odd since you ARE a member, and after all, the cruise is not called "Direct Purchaser Member Cruise" I never thought I'd use points outside of the norm, but it came up where a son and family wanted to join us and all the villas were booked so we used points at DLH (which has since gone up to ridiculous levels). I still will buy direct since I want a specific number at my home resort and those points are rare, especially in my use year for some reason. So..still waiting for that VGC contract to come available direct.
IMO, there are no restrictions of significance and likely never to be. However, I would agree it's always good to have options when possible, the question is at what cost. I'm on record as saying I don't feel it's appropriate to limit member cruises completely, I feel they should be allowed for cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
My problem with resale buying is my husband likes to 'finance' the loan and doesn't want to put it on our home. DVC's rate is cheaper than a personal loan by 2% so....
My opinion is very simple. One shouldn't buy such a luxury purchase if you can't pay cash for it, vacations either in general including CC that can't be paid off every time.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #9
bakerworld
DIS Veteran
 
bakerworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 600

There is always a lot of derisive advice towards purchasing any other way than cash on resale. Hence those of us who purchase direct (horrors!) and FINANCE the purchase become defensive.

The reality is no one knows everyone's economic platform. We drive 10 yo cars and our CC's are zeroed out every month so we're not wasteful in the short term. Frankly, after putting multiple progeny thru College we decided that we don't like being cash poor (first due to college but also jerk-ward FP's that have us investing 15% of our gross into retirement savings) so we leave our bank account alone by financing large purchases. I won't live on my CC any longer because I have no cash in the bank when the heater goes or put my pet down because I don't have the responsible ability to afford the cost of care. I hope someday to enjoy my 15% but I don't expect to because all doctors will tell you that generics are a diagnostic tool that works.

We're chubby - not fat.
__________________


AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #10
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 30,783

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
There is always a lot of derisive advice towards purchasing any other way than cash on resale. Hence those of us who purchase direct (horrors!) and FINANCE the purchase become defensive.

The reality is no one knows everyone's economic platform. We drive 10 yo cars and our CC's are zeroed out every month so we're not wasteful in the short term. Frankly, after putting multiple progeny thru College we decided that we don't like being cash poor (first due to college but also jerk-ward FP's that have us investing 15% of our gross into retirement savings) so we leave our bank account alone by financing large purchases. I won't live on my CC any longer because I have no cash in the bank when the heater goes or put my pet down because I don't have the responsible ability to afford the cost of care. I hope someday to enjoy my 15% but I don't expect to because all doctors will tell you that generics are a diagnostic tool that works.

We're chubby - not fat.
Your choice of course, I don't profess to know other people's situations other than what they post and what can be inferred from their posts. That's why I often to try speak to principles not personal situatons as in this case. However, my personal opinion is that people shouldn't finance such luxury purchases and that vacations in general are a luxury. YMMV.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,945

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
There is always a lot of derisive advice towards purchasing any other way than cash on resale. Hence those of us who purchase direct (horrors!) and FINANCE the purchase become defensive.

The reality is no one knows everyone's economic platform. We drive 10 yo cars and our CC's are zeroed out every month so we're not wasteful in the short term. Frankly, after putting multiple progeny thru College we decided that we don't like being cash poor (first due to college but also jerk-ward FP's that have us investing 15% of our gross into retirement savings) so we leave our bank account alone by financing large purchases. I won't live on my CC any longer because I have no cash in the bank when the heater goes or put my pet down because I don't have the responsible ability to afford the cost of care. I hope someday to enjoy my 15% but I don't expect to because all doctors will tell you that generics are a diagnostic tool that works.

We're chubby - not fat.
I think you bring up two great points (and I would like to add another). I am one of the vocal people that advocates buying resales with cash based on two reasons. First, when I was in my early 20s I was in a LOT of debt due to some poor financial choices I made (I bought things on credit that I simply couldn't afford). It took me years to get out of that hole. So I try to pay it forward a little by advising that people not buy something that they can't afford to pay for in the short term. That being said, my position on that is purely financial. As we have seen with all things, but especially Disney and DVC, it is an emotional purchase. I try not to tell people what to do or how to live their lives, so I can't comment on whether or not someone should buy and finance for other reasons. It may be a great decision for one personally. However, from strictly a financial position it is a risky move (especially with today's direct prices) and that's why I advise against it.

Where I sometimes get frustrated (and unfortunately I do think it shows in my posts sometimes ) is when people use the most convoluted math to try to justify their decisions. We've seen people over inflate the real costs of staying at Deluxes; ignore maintenance fees in their calculations; use how much they pay for a 7 night stay in a 2BR and comparing it to a 160 point purchase (enough for 3-4 nights, not 7); and the best of all, take how much they spend on an entire Disney vacation (including lodging, transportation, tickets, food, etc.) and using that to say that they would save money by buying DVC because they would've spent that in X years anyway. They are free to think whatever they like, but what worries me is that readers of that post who are researching DVC might read that information, take it as accurate and act on it. Quite frankly, I have a lot of respect for your position (not that what I think should matter to you ) because you're not altering facts to justify your decision. You simply said that you live every other aspect of your financial life responsibly, and you want to have a little fun and finance the purchase. Although I disagree with the decision, I can respect it, and I think that's what healthy debate is all about.

The second point you made that is so true is that we don't know each other's financial situations. So at best our advice is a generalization that may or may not apply. Someone in their early 20s comes on asking whether or not they should buy DVC and we give our opinions. Well really we don't know if they're just out of college and making a humble living or a few years out of college and working on Wall Street making $150,000 a year. Clearly their situations are different. The median annual income in the United States is $46,236 a year. That means that there are people here on the DIS that could make that, a little more, or a little less. The point is we don't know. The author of a post who talks about buying 200 points direct at BLT might be making $400,000 a year. In that case it's a much less risky move than someone buying 200 BLT direct and financing because they have to stretch to make the monthly payment. We simply don't know. So I think you're right, we need to give a little more consideration to financial background when giving advice. And since we don't know that, it's difficult to do.

The point I'd like to add is that the whole "resale vs. direct" debate really only fueled up in the past year or so when DVC prices became outrageously high in comparison to previous prices. So I think that the "resale" people (like myself) should be clearer in stating that their opinions refer to $140 a point AKV purchases and not preconstruction AKV purchases. Similarly, the line gets a lot blurrier when you are talking about the sold out resorts priced in the $100-$115 range. And I think "direct" people need to realize that "resale" people might not be talking about you specifically when they are talking about potentially financially unsound direct purchases. I would've LOVED to be you if you bought BWV direct for $65 or BCV direct for $75 or even BLT direct at opening for $107. But I wasn't that smart, so now in order for it to make financial sense for me, I bought resale.

Great discussion baker, glad you brought it up.
__________________

Last edited by ELMC; 02-02-2013 at 11:50 AM.
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
glvsav37
Mouseketeer
 
glvsav37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: That very long island next to NYC
Posts: 242

Resale here too. Going to use it for the first time in July and can't wait!

The OP is free to do with their money as they feel. There are always markets for every budget. I could have done direct with cash, but even with the restrictions, we didn't feel it was a wise use of OUR money. Your money is your issue and in the end, if many years from now you get some special benefit that I don't bc you paid more, well this is America and that's the way it is. But I know that my paid for old Chevy truck drives on the same roads as the noted-out Lexus next to me and we can get to the same places.

Disney can restrict their contract perks to a point. But there will be a threshold where it will be counter productive for them. If I as a prospective direct buyer is going to purchase something for many years in the future, yet--should something in my life change and I can no longer support this purchase--I would think twice about buying if Disney choked out any resale opportunity. By Disney limiting too deep where there is no benefit in a secondary market, your "investment" becomes a liability.

And as for your red-flag? Who knows? but all I can say is that we booked out first resale DVC vacation for 11 nights during peak times in July, at BLT, 7 months out (we own OKW) with nothing more then a hearty, "welcome home" from the reservation agent.

Best of luck with your purchase. I hope you enjoy it well beyond the sticker price....and that goes for all of us.
__________________
glvsav37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:02 AM   #13
murphy7573
Earning My Ears
 
murphy7573's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 44

In order to be a re-sale contract, wasn't there an original Direct Purchase from Disney??? Am I wrong? Please correct me if I am?

I sense a lot of negative energy today...
murphy7573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:02 AM   #14
drysdaleo
palmharbormichelle
 
drysdaleo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 63

Congrats on your purchase. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for doing what is right for you. I purchased direct in 2001 for $72 a point plus some other incentive that I can't even remember and (here it comes) financed for 10 years. There was no sales pressure; after 2 years in a row of a $3800 hotel bill we walked into the sales office on our own and signed on the line. I have stayed in studios during low season all the way to a grand villa Christmas week. I'm going this weekend, coming home for 4 days, and then going back next weekend.
To some people I'm sure I should be burned at the stake for purchasing/using this way.
I hope you are as happy with your purchase as I have always been and continue to be with mine.
__________________
It's the same thing every time Can't wait to get there Can't wait to get home
drysdaleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:33 AM   #15
disbound09
Mouseketeer
 
disbound09's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Garland, Texas
Posts: 264

Enjoy yourselves. Its really not that much money when you think of using it for the length of the contract. If you have to sell oh well. Welcome home!
__________________
: ME54DW53DS20 DS17 DS11

disbound09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.