Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Lifting ban on women in front-line infantry

The military is poised to lift the ban on women serving as full-fledged combat infantry. The training for them would remain exactly the same training requirements as the men have to go through, and women would be taken into those units on a volunteer basis.

Your thoughts?

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/tod...72372#50572372
Old 01-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

I think it's shocking that it has taken so long.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

Long overdue.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
EMHDad
DIS Veteran

Support it.

Check it out. Leave A Comment. Hope it helps you to have a Magical Day!

*7/2009 - Offsite 7 Day Disney Vacation: First Family Disney Vacation (DS3yo, DW 8 months pregnant)
*9/2010 - Offsite 3 Day Disney Vacation (DS4yo, DS1yo)
*10/2011 - MNSSHP: One night of Disney (DS5yo, DS2yo)
*6/2012 - Offsite 8 Day Disney Vacation (DS5yo, DS2yo)

EMHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

100% fine with this
Old 01-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

Long overdue. Glad to hear the news.
POOHsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
The military is poised to lift the ban on women serving as full-fledged combat infantry. The training for them would remain exactly the same training requirements as the men have to go through, and women would be taken into those units on a volunteer basis.

Your thoughts?

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/tod...72372#50572372
If they meet the requirments then more power to them. I don't have a problem with it.

UPCOMING: 1/15 AllStar Movies WDW/US (in planning)

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #8
1Mouse2RulethemAll
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaluvPluto

Well, for the past 23 or more years the ladies have a different physical test. A test that has smaller walls to go over, lighter backpacks to hike with and so forth.
Your information is slightly off, there. Different PT test yes, same walls and backpacks though. I should know, I spent. many years in the Army.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Old 01-24-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
gottaluvPluto
Loving everything Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mouse2RulethemAll View Post
Your information is slightly off, there. Different PT test yes, same walls and backpacks though. I should know, I spent. many years in the Army.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Sorry, but they have different test. I have also spent time in the military and know a lot of people who are still in. The women still go over smaller walls. I even call a friend of mine that is still in and she told me that her tests are easier. In fact, some women also get waivers for the PRT. The waivers rage from weight issues, just not wanting to do it and making up an excuse, that time of the month or pregnancy. I can understand pregnancy, but not the others.

If women want the front lines or any other job they should have the same requirements has a man. Even the PT test should be the same.

The greatest gifts you can give your children are the roots of responsibility and the wings of independence.

Last edited by gottaluvPluto; 01-24-2013 at 10:59 PM.
gottaluvPluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Princess'_Daddy

In short, because I dispute your premise. There are very, very few instances in our military history that could not have been avoided by a change in the behavior of the protagonists (note that the protagonists who could have prevented war are not always the Americans).

Going back to the Revolutionary War, which was a result of needless oppression by England (independence wasn't what the colonists initially sought, they just wanted to be treated as Englishmen and not as second class citizens), through WWII, which saw the rise of Hitler due to the oppressive sanctions put on post-WWI Germany that caused the economic collapse that allowed him to rise to power, to the current battles in Iraq and Afghanistan. which are a direct result of America's decision to arm despots and two-bit criminals in Iraq and Afghanistan in order to destabilize our enemy at that time (the USSR) and who became angry at us when America pulled out its support when they were either no longer needed or got too big for their britches. The only time in our history that I see war as having been the only option was the Civil War, but even that could have been prevented if the south had freed the slaves and if the North and South had worked through the rest of the issues of economic inequity and states' rights as partners.

Please note, in no way do I excuse the actions of any of those evil men throughout history, but I think it is inaccurate to say that they were created in a vacuum and I believe in humankind's ability to negotiate and work things out.

The fact of nature, however, is that we have a military and in order to justify its existence, it needs to be used. Far too much money and power is riding on it, because if we don't use it, then it could be scaled down (to a size similar to every other nation on earth) and thousands of people would be out of jobs and billions of dollars would be taken from the military contractors, and we cannot have that! Of course, as a pacifist I believe those dollars could be invested in other job creation, but that takes thought and work, and so it's just easier to rally to the flag than it is to be humans and care for each other.

As to the "way they were raised" argument, I'd like to point out that none of that is location specific. Boys in the north also care about their sisters, are left in charge of the family, etc., so it should have nothing to do with being a southern gentleman. And if anybody cannot put that behind them, then it's their issue, it's their inability to follow orders, and so they should bear the brunt of the consequences.
the south wasn't willing to release the slaves and the north wasn't willing to work out anything. Hence, the war. and that's the basic fact of most wars.

Hitler wasn't backing down. somehow I think those that barely escaped with their lives and whose countries were being destroyed or that lost their entire families have a different opinion of the need for that war.

I don't believe every war or invasion is necessary but I do believe that a strong military is necessary to protect this country.

Southern gentleman is a descriptive phrase of a personality trait and of course it is not regional and as I said if it can be addressed in training then no problem. I only said that its not a cop out or bs as it is a trait instilled in some men regardless of what part of the country they live in.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: