Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Letting your car warm up

Do you?

I get in my car, start it, put on my seatbelt, then back out of the driveway. I never let it warm up. Other than not having heat for a few minutes, is there any reason I should let it warm up for a few minutes before driving?
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

It depends where you are. Where I am, we have to plug in our cars overnight or they will not start the next morning. We usually also have to brush off the snow and scrape the windows as well. I don't remember why but I do know its really bad to drive when your engine is too cold.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

I have to warm mine up for about 3 minutes when it's cold out. Just enough to get the needle off the C. If I don't, I get warning lights coming on for no real reason. It's a 2011 Toyota.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
Golf4283
Mouseketeer

I have a remote start so I start it up and let it warm up for 10-15 minutes. then it's nice and toasty when I get in it. I know it's bad for the environment but I'd rather be comfortable.
Golf4283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf4283
I have a remote start so I start it up and let it warm up for 10-15 minutes. then it's nice and toasty when I get in it. I know it's bad for the environment but I'd rather be comfortable.
I'm right there with you. Love my remote start. (Chose it over diamond earrings for a birthday). Works great winter and summer. Of course I forget half the time, but I really only use it when the car has sat for a long time. First thing in morning or if it's sat for hours. I have a ford and they can be a little rough when they're cold so I do try to run it for a few minutes on cold mornings.

UPCOMING: 1/15 AllStar Movies WDW

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
Tuffcookie
Enjoys an early hour of peace
Women like the simple things in life...like men!:D
Is a smart cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf4283 View Post
Me too!

TC
Old 01-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
js
Good things come to those who wait
Joyful Mommy, WISHer, cruiser
Wants to see Tinkerbell fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf4283 View Post
I'm sure you wondered if you would get backlash for saying this but I just want to say "back at ya!" I do the same thing! I HATE the cold and before I shut my car off once I get home, I put the heat all the way up and the defroster if there is a chance of snow/ice.

Stay Warm!
js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #8
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by js

I'm sure you wondered if you would get backlash for saying this but I just want to say "back at ya!" I do the same thing! I HATE the cold and before I shut my car off once I get home, I put the heat all the way up and the defroster if there is a chance of snow/ice.

Stay Warm!
Ya, screw the environment. Your comfort is so much more important than saving the environment. To h*ll with clean air. :<rolleyes>
clarkshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #9
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

I start mine to defrost the windshield and warm it for the kids.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post
I start mine to defrost the windshield and warm it for the kids.
Thats what I do too, except I am warming it up for me!!!

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by powellrj View Post
Thats what I do too, except I am warming it up for me!!!
Well...I do it for me too. Sometimes I forget if it's just myself though.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
gracie1
DIS Veteran

I let mine warm up for about 10 minutes every morning. I hate getting into a cold car!
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #13
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblebee View Post
It depends where you are. Where I am, we have to plug in our cars overnight or they will not start the next morning. We usually also have to brush off the snow and scrape the windows as well. I don't remember why but I do know its really bad to drive when your engine is too cold.
I bet your owners manual says to start the car, take right off, but drive conservatively. Nothing pollutes more than an idling car engine.
And at least here in California, cars are designed to get to operating temperature quickly. Normally my temperature gauge is at normal operating temperature in 2 city blocks......although we just had a stretch of 25 degree weather the last 2 weeks and it took 4 blocks to get to full operating temperature.

Funny you mention plugging your car in, I mentioned that here a year or two ago and a lot of people who said they lived in snow country said they had never heard of that. Last time I was in Calgary, the hotel I stayed in had a plug at every parking spot. I know my family up there has the engine block heater, and a small electric heater mounted under the dash on the passenger side to keep the oil and water in the engine warm, and the interior warm too.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #14
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy

I bet your owners manual says to start the car, take right off, but drive conservatively. Nothing pollutes more than an idling car engine.
And at least here in California, cars are designed to get to operating temperature quickly. Normally my temperature gauge is at normal operating temperature in 2 city blocks......although we just had a stretch of 25 degree weather the last 2 weeks and it took 4 blocks to get to full operating temperature.

Funny you mention plugging your car in, I mentioned that here a year or two ago and a lot of people who said they lived in snow country said they had never heard of that. Last time I was in Calgary, the hotel I stayed in had a plug at every parking spot. I know my family up there has the engine block heater, and a small electric heater mounted under the dash on the passenger side to keep the oil and water in the engine warm, and the interior warm too.
If I went outside right now and tried to start my car nothing would happen so I couldn't just take right off. It's -28F outside right now. We HAVE to plug in our car or it isn't moving the next day. I don't know one single person who uses a block heater (if that's the one inside the car). Cars around here have extension cords coming out of the front grill so they can be plugged in, wherever they are. Store parking lots don't have plug ins but most office buildings do. I worked at a place without plugs and on my lunch break I would have to go let the engine run for a few minutes to make sure it started at the end of he day. Even when the car is plugged in, you have to let it run a few minutes before driving off. Otherwise it feels like you are driving a big, frozen block of metal.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:07 AM   #15
mommasita
I am like HELLO IT IS TEN OCLOCK...Anderson is on

Has a sweetie who is Furbilicious

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblebee View Post
If I went outside right now and tried to start my car nothing would happen so I couldn't just take right off. It's -28F outside right now. We HAVE to plug in our car or it isn't moving the next day. I don't know one single person who uses a block heater (if that's the one inside the car). Cars around here have extension cords coming out of the front grill so they can be plugged in, wherever they are. Store parking lots don't have plug ins but most office buildings do. I worked at a place without plugs and on my lunch break I would have to go let the engine run for a few minutes to make sure it started at the end of he day. Even when the car is plugged in, you have to let it run a few minutes before driving off. Otherwise it feels like you are driving a big, frozen block of metal.
I've never plugged mine in. We don't see much of that. Well maybe tomorrow we will. You definitely get colder conditions than us, but we may be even right now. It is downright nasty.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: