Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
zomama
Mouseketeer

Is Akershus worth it for a princess lover?

I'm a little worried about the a la carte food not being very good -- at least at a buffet you can go grab something else if you don't your first choice. DH is VERY picky - he doesnt like anything "fancy". On the other hand DD5.5 is at that age where she will just SOAK up any attention from the princesses and we dont really want to do CRT since we've done it before and it costs 2 TS. Also my son will be turning 3 on the trip so he doesnt qualify for the dining plan. Will we have to pay for him to eat?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

we went the last two years to AKershus for breakfast only....we loved it and the princesses were so awesome ...even with our grandson...Our granddaughter was just so excited ...the food was really good and I think we were giving all the time we wanted both with the princesses and also with the food...most of the food was brought to us and then the go to another room for fruit, muffins, cereals and loads of other things...we loved it
I dont care for the Norway foods for lunch or dinner...as we have done that once...but that is only our opinion and not everyone elses...

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomama View Post
I'm a little worried about the a la carte food not being very good -- at least at a buffet you can go grab something else if you don't your first choice. DH is VERY picky - he doesnt like anything "fancy". On the other hand DD5.5 is at that age where she will just SOAK up any attention from the princesses and we dont really want to do CRT since we've done it before and it costs 2 TS. Also my son will be turning 3 on the trip so he doesnt qualify for the dining plan. Will we have to pay for him to eat?
(1)Yes, it is worth it for a Princess Crazy girl, (2)No, you don't need to pay for your son if he turns 3 on the trip he is considered "2" the whole time and (3) if your DH is that picky then select breakfast.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
cheshirecatattack
Mouseketeer

I think you should definetly give it a shot! We were a party of two adults, and even we got good character interaction So your daughter will probably LOVE it. The cold buffet as an appetizer was tasty with some basic choices for your DH and the mains/desserts were good as well. You also get a photo with one of the Princesses (Belle when I was there) included with your meal.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
MegN529
Mouseketeer

We really enjoyed Akershus for breakfast! I would definitely do it again.

MegN529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
Mariep26
DIS Veteran

We did it for dinner and it was an A++++ for character interaction with the princesses. We got my absolute favorite picture from the whole trip with Belle. The food for dinner was okay... the buffet line with appetizers was yummy. I enjoyed the pasta ravioli but the beef tips were just okay. I would give it a B for food. Overall I would absolutely go again. We also did the BBB before and DD went dressed as Cinderella. She was in heaven!
June 2010 - Swan & Dolphin, March 2012 - ASMo Toy Story room, December 8-15, 2012 - AoA Cars Suite, Feb 25 - Mar 1, 2013 - BLT LV Studio, May 9-13 - AoA Cars Suite, August 19-23, 2013 - BLT TPV Studio - Jax's 5th Birthday!!! - Nov 2-9, 2013 AoA Nemo - Oct 18-25, 2014 - Presley's 5th Birthday @ SSR 2brdm!!
Me: Marie, DH: Neil, DS: Jax , DD: Presley, D?: Baby #3 Due 12/20/14
Mariep26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
pixieMandy
Mouseketeer

We did dinner there and it was great! The character interaction was wonderful, and the food was really good. There are several things on the cold buffet and dinner was delicious. I'm sure your DH could find something he would like. The meatballs were really good!
pixieMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
Bearybear
A firm believer in the unbelievable

We've done lunch there twice, and we loved it. There is a cold cuts buffet as part of the meal that has fruit, lunch meats, cheese and bread, as well as the main courses (which you can find the menu at allears.net). My son loved the princess interaction. The princesses go ga-ga over the boys, so expect your son to get some cheek kisses and such. Your DD will love it, too. Both times we were there the princesses were Belle (in her yellow gown), Cinderella, Snow White, Aurora and Ariel.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
kam1011
Mouseketeer

Yes, I think it's worth it. We go on every trip because my girls love it and we like-ish the food! LOL My DH and mom really like the food, I'm picky, but it's fine.

2000s:
5 off-site trips
All Star Music Family Suites
Beach Club
Wilderness Lodge Villas (x2)
Old Key West (x2)
Saratoga Springs
AKL - Kidani Village
Bay Lake Tower

I may have missed some...

kam1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
charliesmom86
Mouseketeer

Definitely worth it! We did it last May and loved it. We had breakfast there and thought it was great and the food was awesome.

May 21-29, 2012-Pop Century
May 2014-?
Me DF DS8
charliesmom86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #11
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

I agree with the others and say to go there for breakfast. We love the breakfast, it is a must do for us. The breakfast is traditional hot items that come to the table (favorite thing is the cheesy potato casserole) while the cold bar includes fruits, breakfast pastries, cheese and cold cut meats, lox and bagels (not a fan), and yogurt with different toppings. It is definitely a place to bring your princess crazed DD. Plus the inside of the restaurant looks like you could be in a castle too .
Old 01-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #12
DisneyGal24
Always dreaming of Disney!

It is totally worth it! We did breakfast there the last two years. The food was fantastic and the character interaction was too. We love it so much we are doing it again this year! To be honest my kids don't eat much when we are there. They were too excited about meeting the princesses. That's ok because DH are enough for all of us! Lol
Old 01-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #13
Kwaschitz
Mouseketeer

I didn't care for it. At all.

Princess interaction was lacking. (We had far better experiences 2x at CRT)

Food wasn't very good.

Tables too crowded/loud/etc

Plus though was the portrait with Belle, my fav princess
Kwaschitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
middlesista
Mouseketeer

Husband and I brought our 3 year old granddaughter last year. Husband did not like the food at all. I enjoyed the cold buffet that had smoked Salmon, shrimp,and assorted cheeses, deli meats, salads and breads. No mac and cheese on the children's menu and really nothing that appealed to granddaughter except, of course, all the Princesses. She marched in the parade and had the best time. I would go again with my granddaughter but will spare my husband next time around

Me DH DD DSIL DGD(5yr) DGD(2yr)

1975 OS 1978 DL 1986, 1988, 1990, 1995 Poly 2000 CBR2002, 2003 OS 2012, 2014 POFQ
middlesista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #15
Donna in NJ
Mouseketeer

I talked my husband into giving breakfast a try. We have no kids and still got the complementary photo with Belle. The princesses we wonderful and gave us plenty attention even without kids. If at all possible it is fun to get a reservation before the park opens. The park looks so different empty. The food was very good. I enjoyed the cold buffet. The hot food is more traditional breakfast items.
Donna in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: