DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
icydog
DIS Veteran

Is it worth it to buy a small Developer Contract for Member Cruise?

Background: I sold all my points in 2010. I bought most of them back from resellers but I lost those few DVC perks that came from buying directly from Disney.

But I really did like the member cruise and there's no way to get on without having a few developer points. You don't need to use your points on the member cruise but you do need to be a direct point owner. Hence, my question, is it worthwhile to buy a 25 point contract just so I can take the member cruise?
icydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
lodge
DIS Veteran

It's a totally personal thing. I wouldn't, but that's me. It would depend on cost also. Is several thousand dollars worth a higher cost cruise (the member cruises cost more)? What is your motivation about the cruise... to join family or friends? Did you do them prior and miss them now that you sold? Write it all out and see what your own typing tells you about where you stand.
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

I went on the Jan 10 Member Cruise & thought it was one of my best cruises ever. Yes, they cost more. I don't use/need most of the gifts, but the special guests and in this last cruise, the Broadway and Beyond show made it especially worthwhile.

Best wishes as you decide!

Bobbi
Old 01-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by icydog View Post
Background: I sold all my points in 2010. I bought most of them back from resellers but I lost those few DVC perks that came from buying directly from Disney.

But I really did like the member cruise and there's no way to get on without having a few developer points. You don't need to use your points on the member cruise but you do need to be a direct point owner. Hence, my question, is it worthwhile to buy a 25 point contract just so I can take the member cruise?
I agree, it's a personal decision. I would suspect there will be other benefits going forward if one has qualified points but whether it's worth the $2500 investment is hard to say though it's unlikely to be from a financial standpoint.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Can someone please spell out the differences between a Member cruise and a typical Disney cruise? Thanks!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
jimim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC
Can someone please spell out the differences between a Member cruise and a typical Disney cruise? Thanks!
Friends of ours do it every year now. They told us they have diff voice talents over the years and other guests from Disney.

I am prob wrong but I thought this year you had to use all points. U couldn't split points and cash? I know in the past they paid split costs cause they were short on points but I thought that changed last year or this year?

Jim

Planning Thanksgiving Park/Cruise Trip!

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60184887@N08/
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
Friends of ours do it every year now. They told us they have diff voice talents over the years and other guests from Disney.

I am prob wrong but I thought this year you had to use all points. U couldn't split points and cash? I know in the past they paid split costs cause they were short on points but I thought that changed last year or this year?

Jim
There were 3 of us in my room, we all used cash.

Bobbi
Old 01-23-2013, 01:53 AM   #8
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
I am prob wrong but I thought this year you had to use all points.
You can pay cash provided that some of your points were purchased directly from Disney or some of your resale points are grandfathered. If you own only resale points that were purchased after the rules changed, then you cannot go on the member cruise at all, even by paying cash.

They've changed it from a Member Cruise to a Direct Purchase Member or Grandfathered Resale Member Cruise.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #9
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

I do not agree with the premise that only direct DVC members have access to a member's cruise. I have written them about my feelings and they have a right to offer any kind of cruise they want.....I will just never take one...and all 210 points I have are direct. Glad the members had a good time though.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15, Fall 2016
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
DenLo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
I am interested in this too. I found some information on the DVC News Website for the 2012 Member Cruise Give Aways.

And per TimK said on the DVC News that in the past
Quote:
Disney artist Don "Ducky" Williams and filmmaker Don Hahn, along with some lesser known Imagineers, artists, etc.
were onboard. But sounds like it really varies from year to year.

I was wondering if these special guests give talks during the cruise? Or are they just hanging around at a party. I loved to here a lecture by Ducky Williams or even see him draw some characters.

DenLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:59 PM   #11
goofygurlie
Wag and the world wags with you...Howl and they put you outside.

Hubby and I paid cash, too. I am a new member and I thoroughly enjoyed my first member cruise in January.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 01-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #12
Cheltenham
Mouseketeer

I never paid much attention to the member cruise - except to notice they seemed to get some fairly nice cruise gifts. I didn't realize (direct buyers and those grandfathered in at least) could pay for the cruise in cash rather than points. Is the DVC member cruise cash price much more than the regular cruise price? I take it you are paying the extra money for the special "gift" and some exclusive presentations.
Cheltenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #13
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

Seems from reading trip reports that you cruise with Iger and peers - not sure that does anything for me but I do like the idea of knowing that all your fellow passengers are fellow DVCer's - think that would be pretty cool. When at the parks I look around and wonder who owns.

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #14
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
When at the parks I look around and wonder who owns.
I have always been pleasantly surprised when I discover them locally.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15, Fall 2016
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #15
twoj
Mouseketeer

I have read through this thread but I am still confused. Can you buy 25 points direct (after purchasing a resale) and then be qualified to make a reservation on a member cruise?

For anyone who has gone on a member cruise, are they just as fun for little kids?
twoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: