Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
jasonflk
Earning My Ears

Groceries and sim card shopping

Hi,

If all goes well we are expecting to travel to WDW in JAN'14, however we are travelling internationally and the plan is to arrive straight to our hotal resort (not sure which oine yet but probably a value resort)using the provided transport links from Orlando airport.

We have no intention of using a hire car and expect to arrive sometime on a Sunday afternoon.

As part of us sorting ourselves out we will want to get hold of fresh fruit, which we will have for a quick breakfast on the run for when we hit the parks from the Monday onwards.

Where can we buy some fresh fruit from, is there an easy accessible grocery store via public transport??

I will also be looking for a sim card so I can keep in touch with my business back at home, any idea where i can get that from.
jasonflk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
MAYNARDS99
DIS Veteran

Fresh fruit will be available at your hotel and in the parks. No easy public transport to a grocery store, unless you use a taxi.

You should be able to get a sim card from your phone company.

Yacht Club DEC13
Beach Club concierge (suite upgrade) JAN13
Coronado Springs OCT11 & SEP12
Hilton Bonnet Creek, Royal Pacific (suite upgrade) AsMU SEP10
SSR 1 Bedroom SEP09 (free dining and upgrade)
Wilderness Lodge/Royal Pacific (concierge upgrade) SEP08
Grand Californian DEC07 (theme park view upgrade)
Port Orleans Riverside Alligator Bayou SEP05
Contemporary (MK view Tower Club upgrade) NOV03
Ritz-Carlton NOV03
Portofino Bay Hotel Deluxe NOV01
Polynesian (concierge upgrade) NOV99
Wilderness Lodge Deluxe OCT98
Off Site - Disneyland Paris JUL93
Off Site - WDW JAN88
Contemporary MK view Tower JUL74
MAYNARDS99 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
jasonflk
Earning My Ears

Many thanks,

Good to hear about the fruit.

I can get roaming from my phone company but would prefer to get a US pay as you go for various reasons mainly for 3G data connection.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
LucyBC80
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonflk
Hi,

If all goes well we are expecting to travel to WDW in JAN'14, however we are travelling internationally and the plan is to arrive straight to our hotal resort (not sure which oine yet but probably a value resort)using the provided transport links from Orlando airport.

We have no intention of using a hire car and expect to arrive sometime on a Sunday afternoon.

As part of us sorting ourselves out we will want to get hold of fresh fruit, which we will have for a quick breakfast on the run for when we hit the parks from the Monday onwards.

Where can we buy some fresh fruit from, is there an easy accessible grocery store via public transport??

I will also be looking for a sim card so I can keep in touch with my business back at home, any idea where i can get that from.
T-Mobile has a kiosk at MCO and is the best carrier for pay-as-go sim cards. Be sure to tell them what kind of phone you have though specially if you want the data plan. iPhones and others smartphones need a special PAYG plan and not the regular one.

For groceries I recommend taking a cab to Walmart Super Center for best options and good prices.

Walmart Supercenter
3250 Vineland Rd
Kissimmee, FL 34746

Posted from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 01-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
duffdo
Mouseketeer

Hi there......

I think grabbing a taxi to the Wal-Mart mentioned might be a good idea, I assume you will be staying in All Star Resorts, Art of Animation or Pop Century? All have excellent food courts, where you can pick up fresh fruit. Taxis are expensive and I believe the value resorts tend not to have a proper fridge (if anything at at all!) Depends on what fruit you want I guess. (Also don't plan on carving up a pineapple/melon etc with the plastic cutlery Disney provide!!)

Personally, if you are not using a rental car, it would probably be worth paying the price Disney charges for fruit. As for value resorts as a whole, seriously look at your options and consider a moderate if there is a free dine offer on.

As for a SIM card, on my last trip I bought one of EBay from a US seller before I left home. Just in case you didn't realise, Disney now have extensive complimentary WI-FI across the hotels, theme parks and many other areas. You can find WI-FI in many other areas across Orlando too. Next time I go, I plan on using my UK SIM card (Vodafone) turn cellular data off (IPhone) and just use the WI-FI. Any phone calls I need to make, I can use SKYPE or Facetime!

Enjoy your trip. Rest assured if you book early, you will get a good deal from Disney!
duffdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
jasonflk
Earning My Ears

Many thanks,

I am wondering if it's worth while going to walmart for just a few pieces of fruit, we are expecting to stay for only 5 nights so getting fruit for each of us each day would probably be no more than $40 assuming approx $2/person.

I have looked at a more expensive resorts and if a suitable offer comes along I will change :-) but for a short period I'm happy for the value resorts.

After we finish at disney we will move near to I-drive and therefore I'm looking for connection to my phone. I have always found when away if I don't have good communications I'm needed if I do I'm not but thats the way life goes.

But thanks for the info about the free wifi very useful :-)
Old 01-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Unfortunately there really is no easy way to get to a store via public transport from Disney World. May be better to just buy fruit at your resort. A taxi would be the easiest way if you are willing to pay for it and need more items - I would go to the Walmart off Turkey Lake Road if I were going to get a phone/sim card and fruit and snacks - if you get the taxi from DTD it would be closer. Better yet - it may be possible to do a grocery order through Garden Grocer and order a phone and or sim card and have them delivered to your resort hotel.

If you really want to make a trip to a grocery store it is possible via public transport but you have to make a change. Take Lynx #50 from the Ticket and Transportation Center or Downtown Disney - get off at Seaworld/cross the street and get the #8 going south (International Drive) - that will take you to the Publix on Vineland Road (also a Walgreens where you would likely find a Tracfone or other sim card) and to the Outlet shopping on Vineland Road. It would likely not be a quick trip. The fare is $2 and transfers are free.

Sorry since that is so crystal clear - - anyway - have a great trip.

1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR *

POR 2009 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
DLRP Trip Reports
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
jasonflk
Earning My Ears

Many thanks for all that info.

Think I won't bother finding a grocery store and see if I can get a don card sent to be beforehand.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: