Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
jbugeye22
Earning My Ears

How did you surprise your kids with a DC?

I was just interested in hearing any stories about how people have surprised their families with a Disney Cruise? I tried to surprise my kids with a trip to WDW, but my DD (8) caught sight of my facebook status 1 week before our trip!
jbugeye22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
alamere1496
Mouseketeer

Surprise!!

This is how we surprised our kids with a WDW trip. We made up t-shirts that said "Surprise, We are Going To Disney World". We put them in a gift bag with other little Disney trinkets. We put them out in the living room like it was Christmas morning. They were so surprised!! They couldn't believe that we were really waking them up to get on a plane to go to WDW. It was the best surprise ever!!

alamere1496 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
KBT35
Mouseketeer

After a year of secrets, I told my DS 10 that he was coming to work in Orlando with me for a week. This wasn't too far fetched as I tried to take him anytime I went to Florida for work. I told him it would be a long boring week but that I would TRY to squeeze in something fun for him!
During my planning process I stalked this board for different ideas. I found the thread where you can have a postcard sent from Castaway Cay. I had one sent from Mickey saying "Can't wait to meet you onboard!"
I told everyone from the hotel staff to our shuttle company that I was surprising him! They all played their parts! The shuttle driver even picked us up last so that she could tell the other passengers about the surprise!
We flew in the day prior and Sunday morning I told him we had to change hotels to be closer to my work. As we approached port the driver told him to look out the window. You could see the Fantasy! At the same time I took out the postcard and handed it to him! It took a bit for it to set in.....watch the video in my signature to see the rest! My child was stunned into silence! I loved it! The next morning when we arrived in Atlantis he squealed all over again since I told him nothing about that either!
My Aunt's 65th Birthday Dream Surprise May 26th-30th 2013
KBT35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
FergusBC
DIS Veteran

We waited until it was only 2 weeks until the cruise. I printed up a pirate letter from Capt. Mickey welcoming them aboard. Dh sealed it with a red wax seal and everything! We tied it to a helium Snow White balloon (no reason for Snow White...was the only Disney balloon dh could find ) and sealed it all in a box. Then it was 'delivered' one day addressed to our kids while they were at school. Dh told the kids that some Goofy guy had dropped it off earlier.

You can see their reaction here.
Disney Wonder, Western Caribbean, November 2013 Trip Report ("Even better than the first cruise!", says 12 year old daughter )
FergusBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
LoriABil
DIS Veteran

We surprised DS for his 8th birthday. We rode with a friend and all picked him up from school. Of course, right away, he knew something was up! I gave him a treasure map with clues at each point (School - that we were going to the airport; Airport, that we were going to Houston; Houston that we were going to Orlando, and then that we were...staying at the Hyatt at the airport!) There were 8 maps in all.

It almost backfired as we went to the Disney Welcome Center and...he thought we were getting on the ME (we had 2 times before). He almost bolted when I gave him his final clue downstairs! "I don't want to get on a big ship."

So surprises aren't ALWAYS good, but he warmed up to it thanks to a great cast member (Carla or Charlotte?) and mom and dad explaining they had never been on a ship either, but it would be fun!

Now we have a kid addicted to cruising!

*Meaning, take everything I say with a grain of salt and a lot of tequila

LoriABil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
jbugeye22
Earning My Ears

These are all wonderful stories! I wish I could keep secrets I am terrible! I I didn't even try to keep our upcoming cruise a secret, but I love hearing the stories and seeing the videos!
jbugeye22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Last Sunday at this time, we were on the Dream. Last Sunday morning, my ds14 (then 13) had no idea that we would be. We told him on Christmas that we were going on a Royal Carribean cruise on Jan. 20th. Then last week on the 12th, we told him that we were leaving at that moment and I gave him fake RCI cruise documents that I made online. We then drove to WDW and spent the night on property. The next morning we drove to the port, oohed and Ahhed when we saw the Dream and spoke about how much we wish we were cruising with Disney. I then pulled up to the Dream's unloading area "to get a better look" and told him that we were in deed cruising on the Dream. He was genuinely surprised. He should have known something was up. We surprised him last year with a BDay trip to WDW. We woke him up and told him to get dressed, we're on our way to WDW. So, last year he spent his BDay in the Magic Kingdom and the Wilderness Lodge and this year, he spent it on the Dream.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

Last edited by EPCOTatNight; 01-20-2013 at 11:38 PM.
EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
bitlerzx4
DIS Veteran

Our kids (12 & 5) thought we (DH & myself) were going on a cruise. They were going to stay with their pop pop. We got all the way down to PC and had breakfast at Ihop then walked around Ron Jons until the phone call came in from Mickey.

They still didn't believe us until I showed them the tags.

So funny because they got travel bags packed with Disney coloring books, disney movies, anything I could find disney related.

March 2001(just us) October 2008 (as a family of 4) December 2011 Dream/WDW October 2013 Fantasy Cruise

bitlerzx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
natandscott
Mouseketeer

Our kids are still pretty young (they will be 2 and 4 at the time of our cruise), so I think I'm just going to try and get a hold of a postcard with a picture of the ship on it and maybe one of Mickey to mail them about a month before we go.
March 2010: Disney's Boardwalk
November 2011: Disney's Wilderness Lodge
December 2012: Disney's Beach Club Resort
January 2014: Disney Cruise (Fantasy); Port Orleans Riverside; Pop Century
natandscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

For our first, we went to visit my daughters' aunt, uncle, and cousins in Florida. I decided we should "go see Kennedy Space Center." After touring KSC, I said we should head south for a lunch place I wanted to try. As we drove, we noticed the Wonder, and I suggested we go get a closer look since we had seen it on t.v. The girls said they didn't want to bother, but I insisted. Pulled up next to the ship. The porter welcomed us, and the girls said we weren't cruising, just looking. I said I'll grab the bags from the car, where can I park?

For our trip on the Fantasy, we gave them hot chocolate. In black mugs that change color to show the Fantasy when the mug becomes warm.
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
JimGA
Mouseketeer

We jsut surprised our kids Christmas morning, we had a box filled with Disney Cruise Tickets that I made that will be door magnets and plush dolls and DCL T-shirts, here is the video link;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeqJAiuc1Qs

Two years ago we surprised the kids when we picked them up at school when it was time to go home. They had no idea until they saw the car packed and we tossed them their Mickey plush dolls and surprise we are going to Disney!

Love keeping trips a surprise, so much fun.

Disney World: 1978, 1995, 2010 PORS, 2011 POFQ, 2012 CBR, 2014 PORS

Disney Cruise Line: Disney Dream, May 2013, Disney Fantasy, Thanksgiving 2015.
JimGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #12
JackieO
Mouseketeer

I wanted to surprise the kids but they so enjoy the excitement of planning and being excited for the trip too. This trip is for my DS birthday so we planned the trip for a while after his birthday (it's really close to Thanksgiving, not when we wanted to sail). I made this "mickey" countdown: http://www.getawaytoday.com/blogs/20...ountdown-Begin with a Disney Cruise post card as the top, and wrapped it up for this birthday. He was surprised and we've been able to enjoy the planning (I let the kids help choose our excursions) and counting down together!
JackieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #13
Musicalmommy
Earning My Ears

We considered a secret, but feared backfire of kids not being prepaired to get on planes etc. They are 3, 5 and 7.

We wrapped up three presents.

1. Pirate outfits.
2. Mickey Mouse Wall Calendar with date of trip marked and count down numbers to current date.
3. The DC planning DVD that when you open it, it has the words> Welcome Aboard Weber Family!

Let's just say there was 45 minutes of:bana na:

And the only thing that saved us from the pandamonium was bedtime.

Way more excited than I expected and much better than the stress of keeping all the other Disney packing, and making magnets, and making outfits, and buying things we need all a secret. Now they get the joy of anticipation. Countdown for us was 38 days, and we now have 19 to go. They ask about what they get to do on the ship, so now they are prepaired for what things will be like and will be a bit less overwhelmed with how things work.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #14
mrsaunders
Earning My Ears

We tried to surprise my kids (then 10 and 12) with a last minute trip to WDW that we booked two weeks in advance. They are so used to us planning things well in advance that they got upset and kept saying "but you CANT just go to Disney....you have to plan it" and "two weeks isnt enough time. Do we even have tickets?"

Eventually they got excited and it was a great trip, but my husband and I never imagined that would be the reaction. After that we went back to including them in all the planning
mrsaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #15
sweetlovin'
DIS Veteran

I took my 8yo to Disney World and then told her we had to head to the airport. She was shocked as I drove right up to the cruise. I had surprised my 10 year old with a Disneyland trip as well as a surprise puppy at the end of that trip. My 12yo I surprised with a trip to London. He packed for Disney World and thought we were flying there. So I had him grab out a folder with a list of everything at the airport while video taping. He was so excited and thankful that I had secret packed him. LOL
sweetlovin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: